The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 24, 2013, 06:19 PM   #1
steveNChunter

Ruger Red label reborn!

Ruger is now making the Red Label again.

Just wanted to start a thread to discuss how awesome that is.

What a beautiful shotgun
Old October 24, 2013, 06:58 PM   #2
jmr40

I hope they get it right this time. The 1st version was palgued with problems.
Old October 24, 2013, 07:03 PM   #3
steveNChunter

Judging by their site it looks like they have made a few changes. I am not super familiar with them, having only handled one. I've just always thought they were beautiful shotguns. I'm also partial to Rugers so that makes me a little biased.

I don't see very many of them, I figure they didn't make a ton of them

What were the dates of the first production run?
Old October 24, 2013, 09:42 PM   #4
bamaranger

well well

HOw 'bout that! When the Red Label first came out, I dearly wanted a 20 ga, but was not quite fully onboard with work and had to pass. Always thought they had nice lines too.

Now if they will just remake some of my other favorites!
Old October 24, 2013, 11:12 PM   #5
Virginian

I agree; let's hope they really fixed it this time. It sure looks about the same on the outside.
Old October 25, 2013, 08:39 AM   #6
jmr40

My brother shoots lefty and bought one of the 1st ones made looking for something lefty friendly. I shot it a bit and hit very well with the gun. It fit me well and pointed just right for me. I never really understood why, but he sold it after a fairly short period of time. He never had any issues with the one he had, but probably kept it less than a year too.

My understanding is that for most hunters they probably worked pretty well, but high volume clay's shooters found them lacking in durability. If the price is right I may consider one of the new versions. I've always respected Rugers. They are very near the top of my list in every firearm category. Never on top, but usually a close 2nd choice for me.
Old October 25, 2013, 03:23 PM   #7
BigJimP

Ruger Red Label shotguns....were on the "check them out/ if you find one" for "occasional" clay target shooting....

but they were never considered nearly as well made or as durable - as the entry level Browning Citori's - the current lightning series field guns / or the entry level Beretta O/U's ).....

the last one I saw, was a few years ago ....and the poor guy brought it out to shoot some skeet....and on station 3 or 4 ...when he fired at a bird, the rib came flying right off the barrel..and landed about 6 feet in front of him..../ it was sad.

I hope they're doing better ! ( and I'm not a Ruger fan )....
Old October 25, 2013, 04:47 PM   #8
iraiam

Sweet, I did not know they stopped making them until I went to buy another one a couple years ago.

I have heard stories, but never experienced any problems with mine.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old October 25, 2013, 05:11 PM   #9
CWKahrFan

Here's a link to Ruger's site... The promo video is a really good quick thumbnail sketch about it... Put it on full screen:

http://www.ruger.com/products/redLabel/extras.html
Old October 25, 2013, 05:15 PM   #10
TomADC

Friend bought one late 80's or early 90's, it was built like a tank, shot well but for my a little bulky if O/U's ca be bulky. I'm going to look at the new ones though, can't have to many O/U's.
Old October 26, 2013, 08:40 PM   #11
BigD_in_FL

I owned the 28 gauge version on the 28 frame - the one they "supposedly" got right - they didn't. Three times back to Ruger, never was made correct, it went bye-bye. Their Gold Label was touted highly, it too went away quickly.

I will wait until MANY others have beta-tested the latest investment casting from them
Old October 27, 2013, 02:07 PM   #12
publius

They knew what the problems were so I am sure they corrected them before they re-introduced. I want them to bring back the Gold Label!
Old October 27, 2013, 02:33 PM   #13
BigD_in_FL

You might want to look at a RBL from CSMC - well made, no major issues and minor ones immediately corrected, handles well and was nicely done. Used they run about 3K, including a nice case

http://www.gunsinternational.com/CSM...n_id=100258887

Old October 27, 2013, 10:41 PM   #14
Slugo

Hopefully, its built better than their original junker.
Old October 28, 2013, 07:55 AM   #15
eastbank

yesterday a friend bought a next to mint browning trap o/u, high comb,high rib with choke tubes for 800.00 at a gun show,he took me to look at it and it was so nice that if he had not bought it i would have and i have four browning shotguns from field to trap. no ruger,s for me. eastbank.
Old October 28, 2013, 08:59 AM   #16
JNad

I can't stand by and let the nay sayers rule this post.

Apparently, a few Red Labels got out that didn't make the QC cut, but I am here to tell you I have seen one and owned one that could not be beat.

I have the 28 gauge red label, and it has about 7,500 rounds through it. It Shoots, performs, and looks, flawless. It had to go back to Ruger once for a broken firing pin at about 5,000 rounds. That's it.

As for the other one: My Dad was a competitive skeet shooter. He ran a tubed Red Label 12 gauge, so he was shooting all four gauges in competition with that one gun. His made it back to Ruger about every 15,000 rounds for a new set of firing pins (because one was broken). He put about 45,000 rounds through it, and sold it to one of his shooting buddies. That buddy had a Kreighoff and a Berretta in his stable, but wanted a "reliable" gun to shoot for fun. Most guys and their kids and their grandkids won't put 45,000 rounds through a shootgun. The Red Label was a great and VERY well built gun. I have no doubt the new one will be even better.

I will admit that they have one flaw in that they are a tad heavy, but I plan to order a 20 gauge with 26" barrells as soon as I get clearance from the budget manager.
Old October 28, 2013, 10:35 AM   #17
SPEMack618

I have an original Red Label that I treasure.

I never had any issues with it other than a broken extractor that Ruger fixed for free.

Mine held up well to 100 rounds a day, five days a week, for months at a time in my younger days when I shot skeet/trap for 4-H.

Good gun, in my opinion.

I too, would like to see the Gold Label brought back.
Old October 28, 2013, 05:47 PM   #18
Virginian

The 12 gauges had lots of problems. The smaller gauges, particularly the 28 seemed to be the best. Ruger quit making them because they were spending way too much time and money on them. I do hope they got them fixed, and they decide to do the same with the Gold Label.
For now, it is real hard to be the Cabela's Dickinsons for a round trigger plate action SxS.
Old October 28, 2013, 07:35 PM   #19
rs97

I can only speak of one Red Label – mine. It has been pretty much perfect. It’s an early 20GA blued receiver which I owned for about 20 years or so. It is used only for hunting so it does not have hundreds of thousands of shells through it. However, it has been used pretty hard. I cannot remember ever cleaning it. When it did get wet I would take it apart and leave in front of heating vent overnight to get the water out from all the small spaces. Spray with Remoil and it is ready to go. One of the ejectors started to act up. A little more Remoil and it was fine.

I do like the easy opening action. I can flip the gun open with one hand while getting fresh shells with the other. Fastest reloading shotgun I ever tried. Becomes really handy when hunting quail. After kicking up a covey you always have a few birds which sit tight and take off when everyone is still reloading, but I am ready to go!

So what’s not to like? Pretty good walnut (for the price), reliable, I like the balance and how it fits me. I would not hesitate to get another. And as far as comparing it to B guns, its $600-800 less, so I am not sure how valid a comparison it is.
Old October 28, 2013, 08:08 PM   #20
Stevie-Ray

It's supposed to be improved and cheaper! Hope so, because I want one just like I did for many years. Price kept me away.
Old October 28, 2013, 08:30 PM   #21
BigD_in_FL

Sorry to say, if price is your concern, you need to look elsewhere; they weren't that expensive about 15-20 years ago
Old October 28, 2013, 08:36 PM   #22
zippy13

Quote:
I can flip the gun open with one hand while getting fresh shells with the other.
Most of the shooters I know would consider that gun abuse.
Old October 28, 2013, 08:47 PM   #23
BigD_in_FL

That IS abuse and also a sign of poor manufacturing - if the gun is THAT loose, you have issues
Old October 28, 2013, 09:17 PM   #24
rs97

Quote:
Quote:
I can flip the gun open with one hand while getting fresh shells with the other.
Quote:
Most of the shooters I know would consider that gun abuse.
Maybe it is and maybe its not, but its my gun and it works for me. When I feel like it I have been known to go over speed bumps faster than some other drivers as well.

Quote:
That IS abuse and also a sign of poor manufacturing - if the gun is THAT loose, you have issues
Not really, I have been able to do it with other O/U’s as well, including a Baikal. Its just easier with the Red Label.
Old October 29, 2013, 03:40 AM   #25
eastbank

well for one your hammers are getting a good jolt by flicking it open and slamming it shut along with other enternal parts. but you are right its yours. if you need quick follow up shots maybe a semi-auto would be better. eastbank.