The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 5, 2013, 12:26 AM   #1
GeeRawkz

Tactical Vests

Hey all,

Currently in the market for a good tactical vest that I can carry my g17 in with all the typical tactical vest perks. Do any of you have any recommendations from experience? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Old October 5, 2013, 12:38 AM   #2
Polinese

Having worn a tactical vest for work, my suggestion is to look at chest rigs instead. Especially if you aren't wearing armor I personally don't see advantage to a vest other than they're more umcomfortable (were for me at least). I currently use a TAG Phalanx type 4 Fury, or something like that...

Sorry to be one of those guys who comes in and suggests something other than what was asked about... just relaying my personal experience.
Old October 5, 2013, 01:11 AM   #3
GeeRawkz

Tactical Vests

Well going off of that happy to look into armored vests. The ones I have come across were $1000+.

Was thinking getting shoulder holster for glock and tactical vest to hold ar mags, extra mags, knife etc.
Old October 5, 2013, 02:20 AM   #4
trg42wraglefragle

You must live in a bad part of town......
Old October 5, 2013, 06:30 AM   #5
ClydeFrog

Blackhawk.com?....

There are a few top brands you can look at...
If you are looking for a SWAT/PSC/tactical vest & not a low profile 5.11 type garment.
See: www.blackhawk.com www.csmgear.com www.cryeprecision.com www.natchezss.com www.cheaperthandirt.com www.uscav.com .
Blackhawk was started by a retired US Navy SEAL. Many of their clothing items & boots have +/- reviews overall but they are well known for spec ops gear.
Safariland, www.safariland.com may have a corp partner that sells vests too.

Clyde
Old October 5, 2013, 06:57 PM   #6
FireForged

BDS tactical .. they build to your specifications.
Old October 5, 2013, 09:41 PM   #7
Venom1956

Tacticool vests? Who uses those anymore? Just get a nice plate carrier Attach whatever goodies you need to feel properly tactical.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old October 5, 2013, 11:18 PM   #8
ClydeFrog

modular systems.....

I'd add that a smart idea maybe to get a MOLLE or Blackhawk vest where you can switch pouches or holsters where you want.
They come in black, desert tan, OD, camo etc.
For body armor, I'd look at Dragon Skin.
Inserts & class IV armor are worth buying if your ops get really dicey.
I heard recently that the 5.7mm FNH round can punch thru class III body armor.
It's in use with the select fire FNH P90 version for the US Secret Service.
Old October 6, 2013, 02:44 PM   #9
GeeRawkz

Tactical Vests

Thank you all for responses. Not a bad part of town more wanting for going hunting to test convenience vs. mag carriers and for the sake of just wanting one to add to collection of things. Not necessarily thinking the world will ever get to that point.
Old October 6, 2013, 03:27 PM   #10
ripnbst

Tactical Vests

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRawkz View Post
Thank you all for responses. Not a bad part of town more wanting for going hunting to test convenience vs. mag carriers and for the sake of just wanting one to add to collection of things. Not necessarily thinking the world will ever get to that point.
For hunting? What are you hunting???

Mag carriers may not be illegal but the 5 round mag limit I suppose could be overcome by carrying a bunch of 5 round mags on a vest in pouches.
Old October 6, 2013, 03:36 PM   #11
GeeRawkz

Tactical Vests

Wild boar. That's actually a good point I need to look into that aspect.
Old October 6, 2013, 04:27 PM   #12
Powderman

Hey, Rawks....

From experience, I'll tell you this...wearing one of those vests is NOT a picnic, unless you don't plan to move around a lot or perhaps are in excellent physical condition.

First thing, your back will hate you after a couple of hours.

Second, if you wear one without good ventilation, you will feel like you're walking around in a portable sauna before very long.

If you're going hunting and have a rifle as a primary arm, consider a chest holster with a double magazine carrier. That will hold all the spare ammo you need.

If the handgun is your primary arm, I'd definitely go with the chest holster. Make sure that you get a good harness that you can adjust to put the support/cross point close to the center of your back. That way, the handgun is out of the way, your arm is not flopping on it or sitting on it and cutting off circulation and the gun is easily accessible.
Old October 6, 2013, 10:57 PM   #13
ClydeFrog

Regular/field carry of a Glock 17 9x19mm....

I read over a few of the posts & I agree.
If your only basic need to to safely tote a Glock 17 pistol(with no major optics or large add-ons), a Bianchi M12 or UM92II nylon field holster might fit your requirements.
The Bianchi M12 is the US armed forces M9(Beretta) holster. It's been in use since the mid-1980s. The Bianchi holsters come in woodland or desert camo, black & OD. In 2013, there are several attachments & modular pieces you can use to switch the Glock 17 holster from right to left, belt(strong side or cross-draw), SAS or "drop leg" carry, tanker or chest style carry, shoulder, etc. You can carry the pistol with or w/o a protective flap(that won't make any loud Velcro type noises) or use a simple nylon thumb break. The M12s/UM92s fit most belts; 1.25" to 2.25" wide.
If you want to carry the Glock 17 with any white-lights or lasers, get the Bianchi Cobra series holster. It has many of the same milspec features of the UM92II.
Clyde
www.bianchi-intl.com