The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 3, 2013, 03:28 PM   #1
frakn

Long Range Scope?

Looking for a rifle scope for my Remington 700 to shoot up to 1000 yards... around $1k, although I may (reluctantly) get a more expensive one.

Currently I'm looking at:
1) Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 (not sure if I want First or Second Focal Plane or Moa/MRAD)
2) Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56

Any other suggestions/comments? The Nightforce is a little out of my price range, but I COULD stretch up to that price tag if it's really worth the money. Otherwise, I've heard good things about the Vortex PST.

Last edited by frakn; May 3, 2013 at 03:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old May 3, 2013, 03:30 PM   #2
allaroundhunter

Re: Long Range Scope?

I would go with the Vortex, first focal plane and mil/mil crosshairs and adjustments.
Old May 5, 2013, 09:13 AM   #3
cryogenic419

I can only speak for the Nightforce.

I have that model with the NP-R2 reticle and the thing is built like a tank, glass is clear, adjustments are repeatable and consistant. The reticle illumination while rarely used (by me anyways) is nice to have. The scope isn't the lightest but when you see how its built you'll see why its as heavy as it is. I have no regrets about buying this scope.
Old May 5, 2013, 10:04 AM   #4
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Nothing at all wrong with either of those. The FFP NightForce (F1) will cost a pretty penny more than the second focal plane. So the Vortex has the heads up on that one, IMHO. However I like NightForce, I just bought an ATACR 5-25x56 for my 300WM. This thing is built like a tank,34mm tube,120moa of adjustment. I am perfectly comfortable with a SFP scope. It is just what you are used to. I use a laser rangefinder, and punch paper at long ranges so milling targets isn't as important to me. Although I do prefer the mil/mil scopes.
..." - Thomas Jefferson

Tags
nightforce , remington 700 , scope , viper , vortex