The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 14, 2010, 01:57 PM   #1
300magman

LONG Distance range finders

Here is a question that comes up every once in a while, but with a more specific application.

What is a good range finder for Very long range? A lot of range finders claim they can measure ranges of 800-1200 yards off of perfect targets under ideal conditions, but if you read the fine print the distance they can range something like a tree is about half of thier ideal maximum...and they claim Even less than half for a deer.

What I would like is a rangefinder that can go Way out. 1500+ for targets and deer reliably at 1000. Granted I probably won't find what I want, but what can come close?

A friend of mine is having good luck with a Bushnell 1500 Elite, and at only $350 its tempting but I know its less than perfect. I've also heard a lot of people recommend the Leica 1200...but it comes up a bit short and doesn't seem to be in production anymore. Perhaps the new Leica 1600 Compact is the ticket?
Old October 14, 2010, 03:15 PM   #2
psychobily

Howdy pardner, I have a Leica 1200 but it's BRAND NEW :-) so I ain't used it enough to comment on it yet. I am planning on taking it out to our long range when I get home when I do some shooting and see how it measures up. I have tagged a few things around the house at 500+ yards. Now that's in the city so cars hardly count as they are very reflective unlike a deer at 500.

I commented mostly on here so I could book mark it and be able to find the thread and let you know how the 1200 does after I get home. Mine was free as I used my air miles to get it through the airline airmiles store. :-) It was marked down from 250,000 miles to 125,000 miles! WOOOO HOOOO! and then it was another 20,000 miles for shipping plus 5 bux...