The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 8, 2010, 12:09 PM   #1
RG Stewart

Other State FTF Purchase

I've recently begun working across state lines on occasion, and now I'm wondering if it's legal to engage in a private firearm purchase; most likely something I see posted for sale on TFL. I know of the FFL purchase restrictions, but do they apply to FTF private sales as well ? Would state laws prohibit this ? I live in Georgia, so I'm specifically inquiring about Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, and the Carolinas.

Thanks
Old April 8, 2010, 12:20 PM   #2
NavyLT

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/1...2----000-.html

A summary of 18 USC 922 (a)(3), (a)(5) and (b)(3) is:

1. You are prohibited from taking possession of any firearm FTF from a person who is not a resident of the same state as you are.

2. You are prohibited from buying a handgun or having a handgun otherwise transferred to you by any FFL that is not licensed in the same state you are a resident of.

3. You may purchase or otherwise have transferred to you a long arm (rifle or shotgun) from an FFL in any state, so long as you meet with that FFL in person to conduct the transfer and that long arm transaction would meet all the legal requirements in both your state of residence and the state the FFL is licensed in.

You can purchase a firearm from an out of state private party provided that firearm is transferred to you via an FFL - for a handgun an FFL from your own state of residence - for a long gun any FFL meeting the requirements of 3. above.
Old April 8, 2010, 12:40 PM   #3
RG Stewart

Thanks for the quick reply. I just wanted to know if my expectations were based on reality and legality.
They weren't.
Old April 8, 2010, 12:47 PM   #4
RG Stewart

Thanks for the quick reply. I just wanted to know if my expectations were based on reality and legality.
They weren't.
Old April 8, 2010, 04:09 PM   #5
carguychris

If you have a C&R license and the gun you're buying is C&R-eligible, FTF sales are OK, including handguns.

Otherwise, NavyLT's post is correct.
Old April 8, 2010, 04:13 PM   #6
NavyLT

....and most black powder muzzleloaders and black powder revolvers would be OK too without any FFL.