The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 12, 2000, 10:21 PM   #1
Badger Arms

I was wondering if there ever was a design where the barrel on a repeating firearm moved forward and then rearward to work the action? I do know that the Semmerling (sp) pistol has a manually operated forward action. I also read an article about a shotgun -- South African design? -- that utilized a slide action in this manner. My question is if any have been patented, prototyped, or produced that were semi-automatic in nature. It seems to solve many compactness concerns.
Old July 13, 2000, 11:00 AM   #2
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

A friend told me about a guy he knew (yes, third-hand info) who designed and built a blow-forward pistol. Turned out it didn't want to go into battery.

When a blowback doesn't go into battery, you smack the back of the slide. Well, with a blow-forward, you smack the front... that is, the muzzle.

Rule 2 comes to mind here.

Boy genius got a slamfire as his pistol went into battery. He's missing some previously-installed components from his hand now.

So, unless you can figure out a way to get a blow-forward design to go into battery 100% of the time, I'd say give it a miss.
Old July 13, 2000, 10:49 PM   #3
Badger Arms

Good point.
Old July 14, 2000, 10:36 AM   #4
cghammo

The 1894 Mannlicher, the Hino-Komuro and the 1908 Schwarzlose are all blow-forward designs. Doesn't appear that they solved any concerns at all.
Old July 16, 2000, 10:20 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Schwartzlose seems to have been an attempt to circumvent various blowback patents. In practice, there is no advantage to such a design and many disadvantages. One of the problems is how to make the magazine work when the barrel scoops up the round from the front. The blow-forward designers solved the problem, but 'twarn't easy!

Jim