The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 1, 2005, 09:09 PM   #1
Stupid

Can I mount a scope onto 870P?

It doesn't look like it comes with any rail system, but can I?
Old August 1, 2005, 09:14 PM   #2
Edward429451

Why?
Old August 1, 2005, 09:22 PM   #3
Stupid

Want to shoot birds with it. I have an EOTech Holographic which is quick on target aquisition.
Old August 1, 2005, 09:28 PM   #4
Edward429451

Hmmm. I spose the receiver could be drilled & tapped. I've seen sg's with scopes before so it is possible. I just never seen the point in it personally.

Try Brownells, Scattergun Tech, and maybe B-Square for the hardware. Good luck.
Old August 1, 2005, 10:36 PM   #5
Guy B. Meredith

Dunno, but anything is possible if you want to spend money and someone wants to take it.

As a 'fer instance' I had a mount put on my Mossberg 195K bolt action 12 GA for a Weaver 1X scope (light gathering, cross-hairs for slugs). The mount allows the scope to be swung out of the way for using the bead.

Unfortunately somewhere along the way the rear surface used with the bead was also eliminated as it interfered with the scope movement.

Duh... What can I say? I was 19 years old.

PC = Agenda driven groupthink filter on reality.

Apostrophes denote ownership or missing letters NOT plurals!
Old August 2, 2005, 02:30 PM   #6
Dfariswheel

A good number of 870 shotguns are set up for various scopes or electric sights.

Many of them are for use as long range slug guns.
Remington makes a special slug barrel with a cantilevered mount that's attached to the barrel and overhangs the receiver.

Brownell's sell a good number of various types of 870 mounting systems.

Generally, attaching a mount will require drilling and tapping either the receiver or the barrel.

At one time, there was a no-drill mount that was attached by using bolts that replaced the trigger plate pins, but this was not as good as an over the bore mount actually screwed to the gun.
Old August 2, 2005, 03:25 PM   #7
OneInchGroup

Scope Mount for 870

Best solution if you have the cash is a replacement barrel with the cantilever scope mount built in. All the other choices either replace receiver bolts with longer ones for a side mounted "saddle" plate, or require drill and tap which ruins the appearance and leaves those nasty holes when you go back to point and pull for birds or clays. Might want to bear in mind that wingshooting with any kind of optics gets pretty strange if you trained and practiced firing over the bead. Tough to lead the target and keep on with the follow through once that back sight is out there reducing your field of view by 75%.
Of course, if the new barrel was a rifled slug barrel, then you'd be going in a sensible direction for long range deer hunting...........