The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old August 7, 2004, 10:50 AM   #1
GunsnRovers

Thanks for your efforts

Just wanted to thank the TFL crew for getting the tech issue resolved so quickly. Good to be back.

The reason we're all here is that we're not all there.
Old August 7, 2004, 11:12 AM   #2
RWK

Thanks to all who worked throughout your the last week to bring TFL back to life. I missed it and I appreciate efforts.
Old August 7, 2004, 11:40 AM   #3
Fred Hansen

Thank God you are back!
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore
Old August 7, 2004, 12:05 PM   #4
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Thank tyme. We'd almost lost it all.

Since we installed the new server we'd been having problems. The old server didn't have the capacity to do backups. We ordered additional drives for it. That took a while. Discovering that the Co-Lo crew in WA couldn't swap out the drives caused more delays.

The old server was one day away from being shipped to tyme for setup as a backup when the new one went down. The first guru to check it, threw up his hands, saying the drives were unreadable. tyme got hold of it and discovered a miniscule hardware problem. He swapped a card, removed a connetor, changed the op-system, stress tested under load, sprinkled some happy dust on it and shipped back to WA on Thursday.

He's also installed a backup 200GB drive just in case. The old server will now be shipped back to him as redundant backup and I'll be downloading weeklies to my own computer.

Truly sorry for the mess....this is hardly the kind of instability TFL's been known for.
Rich
Old August 7, 2004, 01:02 PM   #5
pax

Glad you guys got it worked out. I missed TFL while it was down!

Pass my thanks along to tyme, please.

pax
Old August 7, 2004, 01:09 PM   #6
tyme
Staff

I'm just glad it's back up. There was much worry that none of the new posts would be recoverable.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old August 7, 2004, 06:55 PM   #7
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

I guess this is why we have two forums now. . . redundancy?
Old August 7, 2004, 07:02 PM   #8
Geoff Timm

Lord Blesseth the pessimists, for they hath made backups.

And all the people who worked to bring the system back to what passes for Normal around these parts.

Hoo-AH! (In the immortal words of R. Lee Ermy.

Geoff Timm
Who extends his sympathy to the sysadmin, for the customers never remember the 2000 up days, only the 1 down.