The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 5, 2002, 08:12 PM   #1
Clutch

Ram priming Die

Has anyone used a ram prime die in their single stage press? I see them advertised, and they look like a good idea, but wonder if the primers need to be handled by hand. And do they provide good 'feel' like the handheld priming tools do? Thanx...
Old July 5, 2002, 08:53 PM   #2
DAL

I use one in my single stage presses, and I like 'em. I don't know how they compare to handheld priming tools, but they do have a good feel to them. Yes, you have to handle the primers with your fingers, but if you're not loading a large amount of ammo, it shouldn't be a big deal.
DAL

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."
--Patrick Henry, during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution (1788)

"When citizens fear their government, you have tyranny; when the government fears its citizens, you have freedom."
--Thomas Jefferson

GOA, JPFO, PPFC, CSSA, LP, ARI, NRA
Old July 6, 2002, 06:33 PM   #3
Clutch

Here's an example of a Lee die that doesn't require individually handling the primers. Opinion?

http://www.leeprecision.com/catalog/...=primtool.html
Old July 6, 2002, 06:53 PM   #4
KP95DAO

I prime everything with my Lee Hand press and a Lee Auto Prime 2.
Old July 6, 2002, 07:37 PM   #5
MADISON

Ram priming Die?

It seems like a "good" idea, except...
I bought a friend one for a birthday present. He had trouble getting the primers out of the primer flipper and into the primer cup.
I have been using the RCBS Auto. Priming Tool [Bench Mounted] Part #09460 for almost 30 years now. It uses primer tubes aand gives excellant feel. About $65+ -.
Old July 6, 2002, 09:52 PM   #6
Contender

You really don't need to develop a "feel" with one of these as you can simply adjust the die height to dial in the primer seating depth.

Works very well if you have a quality press with a solid stop on the upstroke of the ram.

The Lee feed mechanism depends on the weight of the other primers to push them through the "slide" so you must keep the tray relatively full.

I have both the Lee with the feed tray and an older RCBS where you load the primers singley.

Regards
Old July 9, 2002, 04:20 AM   #7
WESHOOT2

EXCEPTION

When I insert primers by hand (may be two or two thousand) I use the RCBS hand-priming tool.
Prefer over the LEE.

Size ALL cases before priming.

Recommend.