The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old December 23, 2010, 09:53 AM   #1
radioflyer

My first match: IDPA/IPSC Hybrid holiday shoot.

On Sunday, the thunder tactical shooters group held a hybrid match at thunder gun range. The hybrid match used IDPA scoring with IPSC rules. Having never shot IPSC, I was stoked to find an overall lack of restrictions. One shooter equated IPSC to being a mind puzzle versus IDPA which reduces the need for creativity to measure pure skill. Combining both makes for a Helluva lotta fun.

The match was originally going to be for single-stack guns only, but was later opened to include all autos to get more participants. I found it interesting that double-action hammer guns are frowned upon so much SOLEY for their 1st shot trigger action. The huge magazine capacity of my H&K P30 was more than enough to make up for the smooth triggers of 1911s.

I’ve shot IDPA practice matches but never an official match. The stages were significantly more elaborate with many more targets than in practice matches. This accompanied with weather that one might see in the beginning of a Disney movie made the event nothing short of a shooter’s paradise.

There were lots of very experienced shooters there including state/national champions and professionals. One of the things I love about such events is that there is no “down time” If you’re not shooting, you’re watching and getting prepared. If you’ve already shot, there’s no shortage of time to evaluate your performance and get advice from experts to practice in the next stage. In all honesty, a shooting match is one of the fastest ways to meet new people…..Proof that an armed society IS a polite society.

My shooting went quite well except for a brain fart which cost me a procedural and 1 no- shoot. (I had practiced with the no-shoot hands on a sign that was hung around the neck of the target rather then being spray-painted on) I learned that I shouldn’t watch my shots as I take them and learn to trust the front sight, shoot with rhythm and just know the hits will be there. By the last stages, I was flying though the scenarios with reasonably well-placed hits. Now all I need to do is practice my shooting rhythm and A-zone hits will just come naturally.

The match results were pretty impressive. The match champion shot the course in a total adjusted time of 77.53 seconds. I shot the course in 124.91 seconds to put me 19th in the ranking of 45 shooters. This is certainly a hobby I plan to keep and recommend to any shooter who’s anxious to shoot “outside the box”.
Old December 23, 2010, 11:10 AM   #2
Jim Watson

As one shooter at a past Nationals said, any sport whose scoring system takes 20 minutes to explain and a computer to run has got problems.

IPSC actually agreed. Back when they thought they could get in the Olympics as a "demonstration sport", they planned to use a Time Plus score akin to IDPA so the spectators would be able to see who was ahead without having to wait for hit factors and stage factors to be computed.
Old December 23, 2010, 12:04 PM   #3
radioflyer

I'm still wondering why the miss zones are - 1/2 and 1-1/2 seconds instead of 1 and 2 seconds.
Old December 23, 2010, 12:17 PM   #4
RickB

"Miss" twice into the -3 zone, and it will cost you eight seconds.
Old December 23, 2010, 12:20 PM   #5
radioflyer

Yea, i didn't learn that until a week ago. Apparantly it's also an FTN correct?

....wouldn't it be better to just not hit the target at all and take the FTN with no additional points down?
Old December 23, 2010, 02:41 PM   #6
RickB

Not hitting the target at all will cost you ten seconds; two misses at 2.5 each, plus the 5-second FTN. Of course, you'd probably also get a 20-second FTDR for trying to get a better score by ignoring the rationale and procedure for the stage.
Old December 23, 2010, 06:17 PM   #7
radioflyer

Ah, I didn't realize the FTN was inaddition to the 5pt penalty for no hits on a 2-shot target.

....that explains my horrible score on my first qualifier.
Old December 23, 2010, 11:35 PM   #8
Steviewonder1

Yes, IDPA uses rules for the 10 bullet limitations plus one in the barrel and most mods to the pistol as not accepetd unless they do not show on the outside of the pistol. No Optic Dot sights, No Ghost Ring Sights, no Magwells unless you are in Enhanced Service Pistol category. So I go shoot indoor IDPA matches with my G-19 and have so-so fun. When I shoot IPSC I run my full race G-35 with all the bells and whistles I can add on to it including 19 round magazines. Lots more fun.