The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 22, 2009, 04:57 PM   #1
Powdersmoke

BB guns for practice

Does anyone else out there use a BB gun for extra practice? My ammunition budget will stand about 2400 rounds of center fire ammunition for practice a year, maybe less as the price of ammo goes up faster than my wages! One of the things that I've done starting last year is to suppliment my center fire handgun practice with a BB pistol. I have a CO2 powered 15 shot semi automatic BB pistol. It's double action only and the trigger pull feels like it's in the 8-10lb range. Very similar to my Kel-Tec P11. It lets me work on my draw, grip, stance, sight alignment and trigger control. It's cheap too!! I'm on track to put 20,000 shots through it this year. It will never replace practicing with my center fire handguns but it has definitely helped improve my shooting even with the center fires.

Last edited by Powdersmoke; April 22, 2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old April 22, 2009, 05:53 PM   #2
OJ

I use a Beeman P1 Magnum pellet gun (looks like an over sized 1911) - puts pellets out over 500 fps at the muzzle. Not a firearm so I can legally shoot it in city limits and the closest house is two large lots away behind pine trees.

Inexpensive safe fun - only downside is - my wife shoots it better than I do.

We each have our cross to bear -
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
Old April 22, 2009, 08:33 PM   #3
thebaldguy

I have one air pistol (Crosman) and two air rifles (Crosman and Gamo). They are great for practice. You can use them in your basement and they are cheap to shoot. I have noticed that the price of pellets has went up in the last few years, but you can still get 500+ pellets for a few bucks.
Old April 22, 2009, 08:43 PM   #4
mactex

I also have a CO2 powered BB gun and enjoy the fact that I can practice in my backyard or garage with it. Very convienent and, like others have noted, mine comes close the the DA trigger pull on some of my bigger pistols.
Old April 22, 2009, 10:21 PM   #5
FM12

I have a Daisy BB Rifle, and us it to encourage the local extra cats to leave our cats alone. And to thin the songbird population. We cant even sleep late due to the racket.Mockingbirds, especially.
Old April 22, 2009, 11:33 PM   #6
arcticap

I shoot a lot of pellets into a .22 trap at 10 meters in my basement, and I'm also involved in running matches in a NRA affiliated air pistol league.
It's great to have fun and practice with airguns while helping to cut down on ammo and travel costs.
Most shooting is fundamental and I enjoy practicing at home without needing to drive anywhere.
And the savings help to pay for more guns!
Old April 24, 2009, 04:29 AM   #7
Piper Cub

I use a wrist rocket and carefuly selected stones to practice daily.
Old April 24, 2009, 05:22 AM   #8
darkgael

Practice

I have Crosman SS .22 CO2 gun that I use frequently. I carry it on my belt when walking in the woods. Great practice.
I also have a fine .177 target pistol, an FWB, that I shoot when our regular match season is through.
BB guns. Read in a book - forget the title - that a BB rifle is a great shotgun trainer. I took a Daisy BB lever gun, ground off the sights, added about five pounds of weight (by changing the stock and taping on 1/2 lb lead ingots) so that it is close to the weight of a 20 ga. I keep it by the door and frequently grab it, walk out and "jump shoot" at twigs, leaves, what ever. No neighbors about, just woods, so I can do this safely.
Pete
Old April 24, 2009, 07:36 AM   #9
mnjimbo

All the time,I have my ol trusty GAMO 640 carbine break barrel w/ BSA scope,I shoot bb - pellets,darts,spitballs ...