The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 11, 2010, 03:10 PM   #1
cadspazz

Winchester Model 88 .308 Lever Action

Hey Everyone,
I have a little issue that maybe someone on here can help shed a little light on for me?
I recently picked up a Model 88 from a family friend who had passed and his widow did not want it anymore, when I check up the serial number (8xxxx) they say it puts it at 1959. Sounds great but the stock has the quilted press on it and I am unsure of if they did that at all on this model prior to 64. I have read that the quilted pattern pre-dates 64 and was simply "applied" to all models at 64! Is this true?? Is it possible that this might have occured?

Cheers
Old April 11, 2010, 06:09 PM   #2
Tom Matiska

The post '64 in our family is pressed checkering. I've always understood the cut checkering was pre '64. Plain stocks were later 60's.

My first guess would be the orginal stock cracked and was replaced. Wood is pretty thin up by the magazine. More likely to see a 358 with a replaced stock.
Old April 11, 2010, 06:09 PM   #3
PetahW

This is pre-64 M88 checkering - It is plain old hand checkering.

This is post-64 M88 checkering - It is pressed-in, with extra winged panels at the rear.

Pre-64 M88 stocks are interchangeable with Post-64, and visa-versa - so it's entirely possible that a pre-64 rifle had a later stock installed, some time after it left the factory (or, if/when it might have been returned after 1964 for a new stock).

Last edited by PetahW; April 11, 2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old April 12, 2010, 02:21 AM   #4
bamaranger

+1

I'm a M88 fan myself, having inherited my grandad's first year production 4xxx .308 as a teenager. The shipping box is dated 1956.

Every early, pre '64 M88 I've seen or examined had simple, cut checkering.

I'd say yours got a new stock after a mishap, post '64.
Old April 12, 2010, 09:13 AM   #5
dgludwig

Just to add, like Tom Matiska said, the Model 88 stock is pretty thin in the area around the trigger group and the magazine well. While stationed @ Anderson AFB in Guam in 1963, I ordered a Model 88 chambered in .358 Winchester. The rifle arrived in the packing crate with the stock broken clear through in that section. I don't know how typical stock breakage is on Model 88s but one thing's for sure: impressed "basket-weaving" stampings are post-64.

Given my experience concerning the relative fragility of the stock in terms of its thinness and the fact the rifle in question was made in 1959, it seems likely that the previous posters are probably right in their opinions that the stock is a replacement.

As an aside, I much prefer the cut checkering on the "original" in terms of its (objective) utility and (subjective) aesthetics.
Old November 5, 2014, 02:09 AM   #6
Kivaari

Winchester Model 88

Wow...that looks like my rifle....wow...that looks like my couch. Wait a minute..that is my rifle......from my picture trail page.....
....and I don't care...

I'm trying to find a checker..er/carver who could "go over" the pressed pattern and perhaps enliven/enhance it.....

kivaari

quality SKS trigger tuning / repair

www.kivaari.com
Old November 9, 2014, 08:31 PM   #7
jrothWA

If the SN is preceded by an "alpha" character

and has numbers following, it's a post 64.

The press checkering could be "re-pointed" by going over with proper tools, but drop any residual value.

Get number of gunsmith books, Baker / Traister revision of "Gunsmith" or Howe's "Modern gunsmithing" for checkering information, then try it yourself.

ALso co to www.widners.com, to locate new made magazines.

Enjoy!
Old November 14, 2014, 02:45 AM   #8
bamaranger

also

A really early M88 will have a short tang at the rear of the receiver. Not sure when that ended.....but my old rifle has one, and thus would not really accept the "tangless" stock.