The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 10, 2006, 08:54 PM   #1
joeranger

Be verwwee verwee quiet, i'm hunting wabbit

I have a rabbit/s living in my backyard which have never been a problem. Actually I enjoy seeing them. Now we have a new puppy who is eating the rabbit droppings, which can cause tape worms. So, the rabbits must go.

We have a lot of snow, so I can see all the tracks. When do rabbits feed, what is the best time to try to stake them out?
Old December 10, 2006, 09:24 PM   #2
banditt007

first, make sure they are in season, and you have a hunting licence. if you are planning on trapping them, a trapping licence. follow all those rules and regs.

First thing, i dont think you are going to rid your yard of rabbits...they breed like rabbits and will be back. Instead of trying to kill all of them, perhaps just keep a handle on your dog so it dosent eat the droppings.

Next they are easiest to see in the snow, look for their eyes instead of the whole rabbit. and they tend to come out around dusk but will be active during the day. if its a real heavy snow you wont see them for a few days they tend to stay put. also even mid day they will be out sometimes sucking up some heat from the sun. Shotgun i suggest about 1oz or 1 1/8oz of #6's. Rifle a .22lr hollow point works great. As for trapping them i would suggest live traps so you arent killing an unindended animal. then just pop em in the head w/ the .22lr. They taste great so please use them not just kill to erradicate and disguard the bodies.
Old December 10, 2006, 10:06 PM   #3
FirstFreedom

"they breed like rabbits" dat-dat-DAT (rimshot)
Old December 10, 2006, 10:30 PM   #4
Travismaine

Check you local laws some places allow you to shoot pest animals.
Old December 10, 2006, 10:59 PM   #5
rem33

Give the pooch some worm medication now and then and continue to enjoy the wabbits.
Old December 10, 2006, 11:22 PM   #6
Pappy John

I axed my vet about this very subject when I had my dog in for her yearly shots and the vet told me that the rabbit parasites do not tranfer between species, specifically not to dogs. She said the only problem would be bad breath.
Old December 11, 2006, 12:14 AM   #7
FirstFreedom

Yeah, I find it amazing that people spend good money on dog treats at the pet store, when cat box tootsie rolls make my dogs happy (unfortunately). I should market that - Cat Turds In A Box - THAT's a dog treat.
Old December 11, 2006, 12:29 AM   #8
rem33

OMG Firstfreedon, at first thought gag me with a spoon, but soon I was laughing out loud at my PC screen after that one.

Wouldn't the cats get the wrabbits? Then the pooch would still be eating bunny leftovers.

Dog wins either way, yuk.
Old December 11, 2006, 08:27 PM   #9
piercfh

Worms or no worms. My vote is for corn, a flashlight, and a frying pan.
Old December 11, 2006, 10:14 PM   #10
Pointer

Quote:
Give the pooch some worm medication now and then and continue to enjoy the wabbits.
Teach the pooch to eat rabbits...
instead of $hi$...

Or you can eat the wabbits...

They are usually out and about in the last hours before dawn...

30-06 FOREVER
Old December 13, 2006, 06:25 PM   #11
Adventurer 2

My pup used to eat the cat box tootsie rolls. According to the vet cat food has more nutrients in it because a cat isn't capable of digesting as efficiently as a dog and the pup thinks the tootsie roll is food because of the undigested nutrients (or something like that). The vet told me not to worry about it because the pup would be fine.
Old December 14, 2006, 02:41 PM   #12
castnblast

No kidding...I let my dogs in when it's cold out, and they just get their jollies by stopping by the kitty box. Heck, they go straight there. I'd just shoot em anyway. We have a bunch of nuisance javelinas that have attacked dogs, chased kids, etc. Called vector controll, no luck. I told my neighbors I'd take care of them w/ my bow. No one is complaining. I've nailed several this year. I'd say break out the frying pan, it's dinner time!