The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 13, 2013, 08:47 AM   #1
38Mike

cylinder refinish suggestions please...

Mornin' folks,

I've got a S&W 360 which has the black scandium frame and black magic marker finish on cylinder; through my abuse/ neglect, some of the cylinder finished has rubbed off. This is my carry gun, all is well, function isn't affected at all. I was wondering if there are any "do it yourself", "home remedy" solutions available to refinish just the cylinder in a flat black to match the frame. I use Breakfree CLP to clean/ lube if that matters..

Anys ideas, thoughts would be much appreciated. Again, this is not much of a high priority, just something I'm thinking about doing....

thanks

Mike
Old May 13, 2013, 10:37 AM   #2
Scorch

You can buy a can of baking lacquer from Brownells. Degrease the part, lightly blast or sand the surfaces to be painted, spray the finish on, then bake at 350 degrees for one hour.
Old May 13, 2013, 10:38 AM   #3
ClydeFrog

My 2 bits...

If you have a carry gun or firearm that needs a little TLC, Id send it off to a professional shop for some slick coat work or plate job.
There are many top shops for gunsmithing/revolver work but Id check; www.bearcoat.com or Metalife SS first. Both offer low prices & quality work.
Gun writer & tactics trainer; "Chuck Taylor" praises Metalife SS C and Bearcoat has a quick shop time/lifetime repair service.
Cerakote from www.apwcogan.com or NP3+ from Robar; www.robarguns.com costs more but you may like it.

ClydeFrog
Old May 13, 2013, 04:07 PM   #4
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

To blacken stainless, you can either have it black chromed, or blue it with Brownell's Oxynate #84. Either would have to be professionally done, though, as each is a complicated process, and not for home use.