The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 12, 2012, 12:26 PM   #1
my280rem

280. rem oal?

Hi iam new to this forum and looking foward to gaining some extra knowledge and having a place to ask questions on reloading. how to grow how to grow up around a fe handloaders so I know th so I know the basics of of hand loading and terms and knowledge of the terms. I have never had a place or really the time to get into loading myself but now that I've built a new house and dedicated a room just for hunting and reloading I'm looking forward to starting this new hobby. My first question would be about overall length I have all the proper tools and overall lengt and overall length tools I see for a 280 is 3.33 for this caliber but I'm getting a measurement which is over a half an inch longer than the standard now I know and I've read that most people like to start 10 thousands of the lands to to find which amountof free bore the gun likes but if all factory is less than 3.33 and. 010 off the lands for me is 3.775 why have i always been able to shoot 1-2 inch groups with about any factory ammo. Sorry for such a long post but I will add to it later
Old November 12, 2012, 01:55 PM   #2
loademwell

Quote:
My first question would be about overall length I have all the proper tools and overall lengt and overall length tools I see for a 280 is 3.33 for this caliber but I'm getting a measurement which is over a half an inch longer than the standard now I know and I've read that most people like to start 10 thousands of the lands to to find which amountof free bore the gun likes but if all factory is less than 3.33 and. 010 off the lands for me is 3.775 why have i always been able to shoot 1-2 inch groups with about any factory ammo.
Not sure what you are asking! You are looking for the OAL of 280?
Well, Im guessing that you are talking about the 280 Remington, The OAL I have listed is: 3.2 to 3.325 Depending on what bullet you are going to load.

The Over 1/2 inch has me a little After you load your Complete cartridge (Bullet, powder, primer all in the casing i.e. LIVE ROUND) the complete over all length should be in the OAL size. If not, You did something wrong.

I wouldn't start out trying to get close to the lands yet. Do some more reading.. Then Made some round, get some experience then look into how to get close to the lands.

Welcome and good luck................
Old November 12, 2012, 04:54 PM   #3
my280rem

My manual says the max oal should be 3.300 or 3.330 finshed i dont have it in front of me right now. My question was using my hornady oal length tool and comparator my over oal on a completed shell and bullet would be 3.850 and that number is from the base of the case to the ogive on a 160 acubond touching the lands. Now if i back it off. 010 that would give me 3.750 correct.now that is ruffly. 500 inches longer than a factory loaded rounds max oal correct? The finished oal tip of bullet to base of case is almost 4" is this ok
Old November 12, 2012, 05:48 PM   #4
Gbro

Factory ammo is designed to never get anywhere close to the start of the riflings. It is not unusual for some cartridges to not even fit in a rifles box magazine when they are set with the bullet close to the riflings, so they would then need to be fed into the chamber one at a time.
You are way to new to even be looking at a cartridge in those terms. Stick to the Manuals and down the road when your 2" group isn't pleasing then start to work with advanced adjustments.
Welcome to reloading, You Have a few mistakes to get through ahead of you if you are as Human as most of us are here.
Old November 12, 2012, 10:29 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

My280rem,

The SAAMI specs, often copied into loading manuals, are actually for manufacturers to ensure compatibility in all brands of rifles chambered for that round. The COL, in particular, is mainly to guarantee the round will fit into and feed from all SAAMI compliant magazines. If you are playing with longer-than-standard COL's, which the Overall Gauge allows you to do, you are often going to be looking at single-loading, as the resulting cartridges can be too long for a magazine when fit to the throat, as you've discovered. That's all fine, though, as long as you develop your load exclusively for the gun you will use it in.

Please also note there is no one magic distance off the lands. Different chamber and bullet combinations have different preferred distances. This is Berger's recommended procedure for finding the best seating depth, here.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 13, 2012, 08:33 AM   #6
my280rem

Thanks for the replies since i havent asked a good question yet. I have been around reloading for many of my younger years just never asked the right or enough questions. I built race motors for a living and find myself very detail oriented as well as organized. All my rifles are hunting rifles. I have inherited and bought many tools powders ect. for handloading. Iam not looking to shoot 1/2 inch groups with any of these rifle unless i find the right load that shoots that well that would be great. Iam doing this for self satisfaction and something my son and i can learn and do together. I own 3 280rems and this is why am starting with this caliber. All these 280s shoot around 1-1 1/2 inch groups with factory rounds which iam happy with. Is there any reason that if i build and start testing rounds within factory specs so i have no cycling issues and find a load that shoots well in all 3 rifles to get any closer to the lands other than for accuracy.
Old November 13, 2012, 10:49 AM   #7
Gbro

Hey,
All your questions have been good.
I reload for only one .280 Rem and that is my SIL's 700 Rem DBM
When we went gun shopping with his tax return money a few years back that rifle stood out at the local gun show and I bought dies and new brass at the show.
I ordered a few hundred Hornady 154 gr. SST bullets and built a batch just to test starting below the max as listed in my Third Edition Hornady manual.
My loading for this was,
52.9 grains of IMR 4350
154gr. Spire Pt (SST bullets yet to be developed)
CCI primer
R-P brass
COL 3.380
This first test firing was at 100 yd with a junk drawer scope ( Bushnell Sportview 3-9 that I had removed and replaced with a Leopoldo Vari X III 2-8 on my 77 Ruger .270 Win.
My SIL put 3 rounds all cutting the same hole and did that twice. It was my turn and I confess I had never shot a 100 yd group like that with anything I owned and felt like I was going to not be able to repeat his shooting knowing the rifle was capable. Well I did the same thing and that is the same loading use to this day 12 years later. He is a 1 shot fawn killer!
Then after I bought my 7 th Edition Hornady manual I see this load is over maximum w/51.5 of 4350 listed as Max @2800 FPS
So as for the need to adjust COL just isn't always needed unless you are in to very long range bench rest shooting and need to tighten a group up a TAD.
I own a cheep cronograph but have never tested this load. I might have to do that some day just to compare with the manuals.
I have seen a few rifles at the range during sight in days do close to that good with factory ammo and the BAR .30-'06Spring being the one I see most.

Last edited by Gbro; November 13, 2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old November 13, 2012, 02:08 PM   #8
my280rem

I also have a mark 2 77 280 that loved federal 160 accubonds that are no longer available my model 70 featherweight shot the 160s fairly well also so iam hopping the boys new tc venture in 280 will like them also so we can find a middle ground load that will performe well in all them and that is why i was asking the oal?. Now when iam ready to start loading our 22-250s and a swift accuracy will be king for those guns.