The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 14, 2014, 08:21 PM   #1
chris in va

CZ carbine or MVP?

I've had my AR a while now and just see no reason to keep it.

I adore my CZ carbine in X39 and came to the realization a handy bolt in 5.56 would suit my interests better and am considering another CZ Carbine or the Mossberg MVP Patrol.

The main thing I don't like about the CZ is the 5rd mag. Using my existing AR mags would be a huge plus. I also understand the MVP is quite accurate.

Both are within reason price-wise considering I would be selling the AR.

Thoughts?
Old September 14, 2014, 08:51 PM   #2
armoredman

Well, as much as I love my CZ 527 Carbine, there is effectively zero chance of getting any larger magazines for them. That was one reason I went with the spare magazine setup that I did, because even with a bolt, 5 rounds can run out fast. On the other hand, 5 rounds was, with the notable exception of the Enfield, almost the norm for bolt action battle rifles. It wasn't until we could fire round faster, that we needed more of them immediately available.
I'd suggest trying to hold an MVP if you can, and see how it fits.
Old September 14, 2014, 08:52 PM   #3
skizzums

why on earth would you see no need for an AR. i'am all for you getting the other guns that you want, but I can't see an AR not filling some niche in your collection. they are light,fast,reliable, high capacity,cheap and can do pretty much everything short of large game. unless I lived in a state that highly restricted my AR, I couldn't see myself not having at least one cheap one.

okay, now that it's been said, the MVP is a cool gun, I would like to have one someday. but will it be any more accurate than an AR?

and your AR will probably be worth its weight on gold when the inevitable AWB happens at some point in the future, then sell it for 3 grand and be happy
Old September 14, 2014, 09:42 PM   #4
Sappyg

Hmmm.

I've got a Ruger American compact that just doesn't cut it for me. The Savage Axis is nice but too big and yes... A bit flimsy.

The other day I finally handled an MVP patrol model. Felt great. Sights were not bad. The stock finish was not impressive though it felt more rigid than either the Axis or the American. Magazine capacity is neither here nor there for me. The MVP spring loaded bolt thingy kinda bothers me.

I wound up ordering a CZ 527 carbine sight unscene for several reasons but mostly because the MVP bolt head looks like an accident waiting to happen. Plus, I've had enough problems with the little Ruger to call it quits on poorly designed cheap guns. The CZ is a proven design and I'm willing to spend the money on quality.
Old September 14, 2014, 10:04 PM   #5
armoredman

That's what I did, never ever regretted it.
Old September 14, 2014, 10:16 PM   #6
DPris
Member Emeritus

Having worked with both, and noting I liked the Patrol, I'd spend my money on the CZ.

If capacity is the only thing that matters, then your choice would go the other direction.
Denis
Old September 14, 2014, 10:58 PM   #7
chris in va

Here's another beauty thrown into the mix. 527 FS in 223.

Old September 15, 2014, 01:00 AM   #8
10-96

I dunno... I've got a 527 Varmint and an American AND a MVP. I really do try to like the MVP, and I probably would if I didn't have the CZ's. To me, the MVP just falls short of the overall quality of the CZ's in so many areas regardless of the magazine capacity of the MVP.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 15, 2014, 09:00 AM   #9
MrBorland

I tend to agree with Denis on this: The CZ's the better rifle.

I don't know what your budget is, but maybe check out the Tikka T3 TAC or any of the T3 Varmints. Excellent rifles, too, and all with a 6-round mag. The TAC and Super Varmint have adjustable cheek pieces as well.
Old September 15, 2014, 09:30 AM   #10
sirgilligan

I recommend the CZ 527. I would also recommend getting one with 1:9 twist. I have the Varmint with 1:9. In testing last fall it stabilized bullets from 35 grain all the way to 75 grain. All ammo grouped an inch or better at 100 yards, even the hot 5.56 62 grain ammo, and the Hornady Superformance ammo.

I have often tried to convince myself to get an AR-15 but never have. My brother tells me when times get hard and there is no ammo you will be able to get all of them you want.

I have posted this before, but here is the proof:

Old September 15, 2014, 10:19 AM   #11
Unlicensed Dremel

The CZ is gonna have MUCH higher overall quality, and pleasure of ownership. You'll never need more rounds than are in that mag. If you really think you might, get an AR15 or similar for your "all purpose" rifle.
Old September 15, 2014, 10:33 AM   #12
g.willikers

For most of the ways a bolt action rifle is used, isn't a long magazine just a hindrance?
I'd judge high capacity to be one of the least important aspects for a bolt action, as long as extra mags are available and affordable.
Old September 15, 2014, 10:44 AM   #13
roashooter

it always escapes me why anyone needs/wants a 10/20/30 round magazine for a bolt action rifle.....as if your going to hold off hoards of zombies....in the real world....a bolt action works just fine with 5 or less rounds....
Old September 15, 2014, 11:22 AM   #14
DPris
Member Emeritus

I worked with the Mossberg Patrol earlier this year.
I worked with the CZ 527 several years ago & happen to have five loaner CZ boltguns here now for a project, one of which is a 527.

I made the mistake the first time around of not hanging onto the 527 back then.
I won't make that mistake again on this one.

The Mossberg was quite capable of holding tight groups at 100 yards, the best I got out of it was a 1-incher with one load, using the supplied scope.

Feeding was rough with a couple of the loads, the ramp had some noticeable machine marks.
That could be fixed & was not necessarily a universal problem on the guns.

The length was handy, it feels solid, the flash hider is not a bad idea, the sights were adequate.
The stock is wood under a surface "paint".

The trigger was decent, but I don't personally like that "Glock-ish" trigger on a rifle.

Altogether the Patrol version is a good package in a very handy form.
The ability to use any standard AR15-type mag is a very real bonus, if capacity is important.
As a cruiser gun for LE, it has definite utility for police in a general-purpose role (perimeter stand-off, hostage, barricade, etc.) in areas where an evil black semi-auto may not be approved by higher-ups, for whatever reason.

The CZ 527, on the other hand, is much nicer in finish & execution, has a much smoother bolt, a proven Mauser action, strong square-bridge integral scope bases, a set-trigger (with no Glock two-trigger secondary paddle ), hammer-forged barrel, a very sturdy steel mag, and readily available small parts to keep it going at home if you need to.

I personally dislike a long detachable mag in a boltgun.
It gets in the way of carry, sticking way out at the natural balance point.
The CZ's mag is only a minor annoyance there, the larger mag in the Mossberg is much more of an issue, for me.

Only one serious "can't live with it" on the 527, and that's the tiny front bead sight.
NECG makes better ones & I'm working on replacements.
Can't hardly find the CZ white dots in the rear notches.
If you'll be mounting glass, that's not an issue for you.

You're obviously not looking for a "combat" or defensive weapon, if you're going to let the AR go, so I don't see the hi-cap mag as being that much of an advantage.
I wouldn't like it for field carry, but that's just me.

Denis
Old September 15, 2014, 11:55 AM   #15
Jim243

Chris, you are expressing yourself in feelings and not needs or uses. One problem is that feelings change more often than what you need. You need to define why you want to change from a semi-auto to a bolt action rifle.

Mine was that I wanted to shoot targets at a slower rate of fire but still wanted an accurate rifle with more than 4 or 5 rounds in it.

The MVP was the most reasonable choice out there. This is my second bolt action 223 (actually all the MVP's are 5.56 not 223) I had a Savage bull barrel 223 that was supper accurate but was extremely heavy with a full bull barrel and laminate stock so it was sold off.

I have and had both an AR and bolt action rifle in 223 for many many years. They serve different purposes. I think that selling off your AR is a mistake that you eventually will regret.

Think of them as different tools for different jobs and decide on what jobs you want them to do.

What are the benefits of the MVP, 1) Medium profile bull barrel, 2) Adjustable trigger down to 2#, 3) They accept AR mags, 4) Excellent accuracy, 5) Fluted barrel for better cooling, 6) Some models have barrel threading already done, 7) Lighter weight materials for the stock, 8) Jeweled bolt, 16.5 and 18 inch carbine barrels (or if you want 20" barrels available), 9) After market replacement stocks available (Boyds) and of course the cool factor.

But that is just my opinion.

Jim

This is the MVP-Flex model with the AR changeable stock (Flex system). Long range sniper use and yes that is a 8-32x 44mm scope.

This one's not going anywhere except in my gun cabinet.

Last edited by Jim243; September 15, 2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old September 15, 2014, 02:17 PM   #16
hammie

@chrisinva: Another rifle which might fill your niche is the savage model 11, hog hunter. It doesn't have your preference for detachable high capacity magazines, but it does have iron sights, and a 20 inch barrel threaded for a flash suppressor. There are after market sources for savage bottom metal and high capacity magazines, if you want them, though.

I added a Boyd's stock, a Leopold 1-4x with quick detachable mounts, and an AAC flash suppressor to my hog hunter. It serves reasonably well as a "poor man's" scout rifle. The quality may not equal a CZ but I think the savage quality is better than a Mossberg.
Old September 15, 2014, 04:48 PM   #17
SwiftPilot

If I could only have one gun, it would likely be a 527 in 7.62x39.
Light
Compact
High quality
Ruggedly built
Boringly reliable
Sub MOA with M67
MOA with most other surplus
Due to correct 311 bore diameter
And it's also just a great looking rifle

I've bought more than one and it's replaced several other shooters that started to collect dust.

ETA, Skinner sights is working on an interchangeable peep set for the 527 that mounts on the rear dovetail w/o modification and about doubles sight radius. Hopefully it will be out soon as they are my favorite peep by far, if all you 527 lovers bug him maybe it will be available quicker

Last edited by SwiftPilot; September 15, 2014 at 05:00 PM.
Old September 15, 2014, 05:10 PM   #18
chris in va

Jim, you're right...it's a 'want' issue more than anything. I don't 'need' an AR and bought it because I couldn't reload for my Saiga conversion. It's just a plinker.

I would get a lot more mileage out of a rifle that forced me to take aimed shots instead of just pulling the trigger again (and again). 223 takes five times as much powder as the 9mm I use for the CX4 carbine I have, so I simply want to stop plowing through components.

And as I said earlier it would be great if I could shuck fired cases out and not worry about scrounging afterward.
Old September 15, 2014, 05:31 PM   #19
Jim243

Quote:
it would be great if I could shuck fired cases out and not worry about scrounging afterward
LOL, I am with you there.

Jim

At least 9 mm is cheaper to load than 40 S&W!

Hi-Point 4095TS
Old September 15, 2014, 11:08 PM   #20
10-96

Jim243- How are you getting those poly AR mags to work in your MVP? I have a couple of different one's and not a one will stay latched in.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 16, 2014, 05:23 AM   #21
NWCP

I have a CZ 527 in .223 and use it as a hunting rifle. That being said I am limited as to the number of rounds I can have loaded in the field. My AR 15's have a different purpose. I see no need for a bolt action rifle with a 20 round magazine. Then again my bolt action rifles are for the most part hunting rifles.