The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 2, 2013, 10:31 AM   #51
L_Killkenny

Quote:
I can't see why the .327 mag was even a thought to begin with?
Why? Cause some folk moaned and whined about how the .32H&R wasn't a true magnum. Hard core reloaders were souping up the H&R to astounding levels and people were talking about what the .32H&R should of been. It was really a very small but LOUD group of folk clamouring for it. Top that off with America's love of anything fast and powerful (i.e. magnumitis) and the .327 was born and I'm sure federal thought it would be a hit Americans being what we are.

Then there are folks like me. People who really like the .32H&R and realize that it may be one of the greatest cartridges. IMO soupin it up is unneeded and if more power is needed it is already available (i.e. .357). The .32H&R is a great small game to coyote cartridge, easy to shoot, easy to load, cheap to load, available in great guns, etc etc. In short it's the cats meow and filled a niche that needed fillin. We need a round between rimfire and .38sp. The .327 however fills only one niche. It's perfect for the guy/gal that wants a snub revolver that holds 1 more round for SD. That's it. It's (the .327) recoil and noise are actually a detriment when compared to the .32H&R and make it less desirable.

Unfortunately the death of the .327 (if it happens) will probably spell doom for the .32H&R also. I really don't see Ruger, Charter, S&W, etc ever stepping back and making the H&R guns again but instead dumping .32's altogether.
Old January 7, 2013, 10:48 PM   #52
Two Old Dogs

Unique (Oddball) calibers

I thrive on loading the odd ones: 8mm Lebel (8.3x28.5mm), 9mm Steyr
(9x23mm), 32-20 (32 WCF), 38-40 (38 WCF), and 44-40 (44 WCF) in handguns (to stay within the bounds of the original thread), however, I can't help but mention the .351 Winchester Self Loading (8.8x35mm) and .264 Winchester Magnum in rifles.

I also form the cases for the 8mm Lebel, 9mm Steyr, and .351 Winchester SL and cast or form the bullets for all the others except .264 Win. Mag.
Old January 7, 2013, 10:51 PM   #53
SPEMack618

Quote:
can't help but mention the .351 Winchester Self Loading (8.8x35mm)
Well said. One of my favorite of the obscure rifle rounds and forgotten firearms is the Winchester '07.
Old January 8, 2013, 12:37 AM   #54
Frasier

One advantage to odd ball calibers is that during the recent buying panic, there was still plenty of 44 special ammo on the shelf the last time I went to my local gun store. All of the 5.56/.223, 9mm and .45's were picked clean, but I could still get my old favorite.
Old January 10, 2013, 08:32 PM   #55
mashaffer

I like odd balls, heck I am one, but just have no use for high pressure rounds anymore. the .32 H&R is a great round and I even have a soft spot for .32 S&W Long. .32 ear-splittin-boomer might be a nice rifle round but I don't see what it would have to offer over the .32-20. Guess I just an old codger.

mike

If we the people harbor covetousness in our hearts we will be ruled by thieves.