The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 18, 2011, 12:11 PM   #1
Double Impact

Ballistol

I would like some opinions on the gun cleaner/lubricate called (Ballistol)?
Old July 18, 2011, 12:28 PM   #2
Pahoo

Distilled Water !!

I've been using it for about three years now, exclusively on M/L's, in the field after my range time. It's good stuff and if you have to cut it down, be sure and use distilled water. Regular tap water, turns it into thick cream. I just spay it on and by the time I get back to the shop, it has loosen up a lot of the carbon. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old July 18, 2011, 12:38 PM   #3
ir3e971

I use it on my pistols that have wood grips (1911 and revolvers) as Ballistol is supposed to be good for the wood, and I don't have to take the grips off. Ballistol does a good job in cleanup and seems to leave the pistols oiled well enough. I have not had any rusted firearms using it.

From what I understand it is an early CLP type product.

It has its a distinctive smell. Not bad, but distinctive. It is also nice that it is non-toxic.

I use the liquid product in the can, without thinning it, and have not used the spray.

I put some in a small squeeze bottle so it can be applied to specific points because the can has a screw on lid.

Works well for my purposes.
Old July 18, 2011, 01:36 PM   #4
MEATSAW

This stuff is awesome! I think its a better lubricant than cleaner. It is also amazing to keep wooden stocks looking good. As far as I am concerned its the best gun oil out there.
Old July 18, 2011, 04:03 PM   #5
jmortimer

I am a Ballistol "Fan-Boy" - what a fantastic product, the original "CLP" and even better, it is a safe product that is biodegradable. Metal, plastic, wood, and leather, it does it all. This video from Hikcock 45 shows it in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZf4mUM10Vc
For rust protection, it's Eezox, but for all else, Ballistol.
Old July 18, 2011, 07:10 PM   #6
Neezer

stuff's been around for over 100 years. Designed for the German military before the war, the first world war.
Old July 18, 2011, 09:47 PM   #7
seed

Lately it has been the fan favorite, especially after Hickok45 on youtube and some of these forums has often mentioned that he uses and recommends it. Personally, I think there are better products available for the different purposes of cleaning, lubing and or protecting against rust and corrosion...and some that are a good compromise of all three with an emphasis on lube and protection. I use those products as opposed to Ballistol.
Old July 19, 2011, 01:17 AM   #8
10-96

I've recently begun using it and have even had it approved for my department use based on it's non-toxic and other MSDS related qualities. It's great stuff. I'm going to post a link below for Firehawk Technologies- that info page has some amazing data listed. Whether or not you choose to use it on your firearms is totally up to you, but based on all it's other qualities and uses- I keep more than one can around the house and work.
http://www.firehawktech.com/Ballistol/index.html

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old July 26, 2011, 12:32 AM   #9
ClydeFrog

Ballistol will protect us all....

Oh wait, that's not the ad!
I don't want to get sued...

Ballistol, or as I call it; the German WD-40, is top-notch.
I've used it often since the mid 1990s. It's good for rubber, polymer, metal, wood, etc.
I wouldn't apply it to painted items or a few other materials(like suede) but the warnings are on the green can(in English, ).

Ballistol is also non-toxic & CFC free. Plus it has a light pine scent.

Go green!
Clyde
Old July 26, 2011, 04:59 PM   #10
Cascade1911

Quote:
I think there are better products available for the different purposes of cleaning, lubing and or protecting against rust and corrosion...and some that are a good compromise of all three with an emphasis on lube and protection. I use those products as opposed to Ballistol.
OK Seed, so what is a better compromise? (that protects wood as well as metal). I do like the way Ballistol will protect grips, stocks and metal. If there is something better I'd be glad to know.
Old July 28, 2011, 12:00 AM   #11
dyl

I bought it a few years ago at a gun show along with a can of Cleansoil. (or was it clenzoil? cleanzoil?) - it was being hyped up by the salesman and I had read about it beforehand so why not?

I was looking for rust protection so I don't use it much anymore since I'm currently using Eezox for that. But I WILL say a few things about it that I've noticed.

Aside from the smell, it's got a unique consistency (my aerosol can did anyways.) After you spray it, if you let it sit for a few minutes it will thicken slightly into a really light gel consistency. that helps it stick around a bit better than some light penetrating oils like remoil.

I never paid much attention to the non-toxicity but I suppose lots of other oils are petroleum based and I never clean my guns with gloves on
Old July 28, 2011, 12:24 PM   #12
seed

Cascade1911, since you asked:

For lube I use Weapons Shield. I mainly use the "oil", but have been experimenting with their grease, mixed with the oil on the rails. It is also a good protectant, but I don't believe it is designed to protect as well dry as say Eezox or Corrosion X. I rarely use a protectant on my guns as almost all are finished/refinished very well and or are stainless. I don't have rust-causing perspiration like I have read about here and elsewhere. Mostly I trust the finish/stainless on the outsides and Weapons Shield to protect the high wear areas it serves to lubricate, which it does better than any product I know of.

For cleaning, I use both Weapons Shield and MPro7. I'll start with the latter and finish with the former as WS is what I use for lube. For tougher jobs, I may be inclined to use other solvents, but to me, a clean gun is only part of the equation as my health is the other...and besides, these products get the job done very well. I do use nitrile gloves though -- mostly to prevent exposure from the solvent/oil. I do not fear toxicity from these two products...I just don't want them to get all over my hands. But I cerainly do fear the toxicity of Eezox! Aside from wearing nitrile gloves, I make sure the air is circulating well when I use Eezox or other toxic substances. I mostly use Eezox these days on things like bare steel blade knives or on my Kel Tec P3AT...but not much anymore. The smell is STRONG, however it does fade over time. On the other hand, the smell of Weapons Shield is much more subtle and actually quite nice...it smells cinamonny.

As for wood, I don't know. I only have one wood anything (CZ452) and I haven't felt the need to apply anything on it yet...it is hardly used, compared to other things.

Last edited by seed; July 28, 2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old July 28, 2011, 06:18 PM   #13
BarryLee

Just curious isn’t this stuff just mineral oil?
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 30, 2011, 05:44 AM   #14
10-96

Quote:
Just curious isn’t this stuff just mineral oil?
Nope, there's more to it than that. Go to the link in post #8 and read up on all it's purported uses. I don't see plain ol mineral oil doing that.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old July 30, 2011, 11:19 PM   #15
BarryLee

Sorry, my post was unclear I understand there will be a few other ingredients such as propellants, thinners and fragrances, but I was asking if the primary ingredient was mineral oil. I went and checked the MSDS and it appears that is the case.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman

Last edited by BarryLee; July 31, 2011 at 12:14 AM.