The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 14, 2011, 05:01 PM   #1
Slugo

BigJimP, whadda' ya' think of a new 12ga 625...

Sporter with 32" barrels? I have an original B325 12ga/30" that I might like to upgrade. Local seller has one NIB for a little over $2500 (no PA sales tax). The gun also has an adjustable comb.

Thoughts!?!
Old July 14, 2011, 05:09 PM   #2
oneounceload

How do the swing dynamics work for you? I like 32" barrels, and some like 34........all depends on what it feels like to you
Old July 14, 2011, 05:15 PM   #3
BigJimP

I beliver there is a lot of drop at the comb on the 625 series ...so it depends on whether it fits you or not.

I think the 325 was more than a 1/4" differnce in drop at comb and maybe heel as well ...and the 425 and 525 were different as well ...compared to the 525 series ( which were beautiful guns ) which didn't fit many people - in my opinion ..../ I think they changed the 625 a little but I'm not sure how much. The 625 still has too much drop to fit me ...

Since the 325 fits you ....I don't think you can assume the 625 will fit you the same ...is my point.

All of the 525's and 625's - that I've seen / have highly figured wood - but as far as I know - they all come with Brownings new "satin oil finish" ...and since I shoot in the wet Northwest ...it doesn't hold up in this area / to our 12 month seasons. Over time - the oil finish / lets the moisture in - and the wood tends to lose its depth and gets kind of muddy. I don't know how it will hold up in your northeastern climate - with humidity / or in the winter...

The finish can be stripped - and a new hard varnish finish applied / and in the case of my 525 series - I was able to bring the look of the wood back / and it was outstanding / and a good winter project ...( and then I sold it ) because to make it fit / I had to put an adhesive comb pad on it - to level the drop out at the comb ( and the black pad was ugly )... That Browning 525 12ga 30" remains the only shotgun I've ever sold ...( bought it new in about 1998 )....

but the engraving on the 625's is well done ..../ they're very good looking guns.../ and I think they were shipped with 5 of the Diana Grade extended chokes - unless the buyer is keeping those ..
Old July 14, 2011, 05:24 PM   #4
BigJimP

I'm not positive - but I think the 625 sporting - without the adjustable comb is selling up here for about $ 3,200 - $ 3,300 / and the model with the adjustable comb is about $ 300 more ..../ list price I think is about $ 300 higher ...

The issue of whether you want an adj comb on an angled comb is an interesting issue ....because while the comb moves up and down / it stays at the same angle as the original comb --- so it doesn't level out to a parallel comb to the rib ....

An adj comb on an angled comb gun makes little to no sense to me ...because I don't see it working very well ( its not really adjustable - if the angle is the same / although moving it - will change the point of impact..)...
Old July 14, 2011, 05:38 PM   #5
Slugo

frankly, I don't give a hoot about the adjustable comb. I do like 32" barrels though, as well as 30" also. I can burn targets with my 325, but I figured for the reasonable price the seller is asking, it's worth the stretch. I'll keep both of them along with my other Brownings. If I don't like the newer gun, I can dump it for little to no loss...
Old July 14, 2011, 05:48 PM   #6
BigJimP

Sure - I don't think you'll lose money on it ...especially since prices on the new ones seem to be going up between 7 - 10% a year...

Why is he selling it ...??
Old July 14, 2011, 06:13 PM   #7
Slugo

He bought a Blaser F3 SuperSport with adjustable rib and weights...
Old July 14, 2011, 06:22 PM   #8
TheKlawMan

What is with this NIB stuff? I know some people will never fire some guns to preserve their value as a collector's piece, but there sure seem to be an awful lot of used guns on the market that have never been fired.
Old July 14, 2011, 06:29 PM   #9
BigJimP

Ok, I might sell the Browning too ...if I just bought a Blaser F-3 ....

but new in the box ...is interesting .../ but then I shoot everything I own - regardless if its a collector gun or not ...

My local used gun store ...took 2 revolvers in for an older guy that was sick and getting rid of his collection( which is sad) ...one was a S&W model
66-1 in a 2 1/2" unfired in a box ...and one was fired quite a bit ( the seller was still in the shop / told me he always bought 2 of everything - held one NIB - and fired the other one) ....I bought the NIB one ....promptly took it home / pulled side plate off - cleaned and lubed it - and took it to the range that afternoon. He was delighted to meet the guy, he said, that bought it and was enjoying it ....
Old July 14, 2011, 06:37 PM   #10
Slugo

BJP, I have a vintage NIB series 70 Colt Combat Commander. Not a mark on it and still a virgin...
Old July 14, 2011, 06:50 PM   #11
BigJimP

Ok, maybe I'm the odd duck here then ....

I'm heading to my indoor range tonite - with a pair of 1911's in my bag - both 5" full sized guns from Wilson Combat ...one in 9mm and one in .45 acp ( a CQB model - that's my primary carry gun )...to exercise them a little .../ with 6 boxes of 9mm and 3 boxes of .45 acp ...my reloads...

I've been stuck at home all day with a contractor working on a new front door in my entryway / nice guy, but my word he is slow ..../...and I need to easy my frustration a little ..( and kill some paper ) ....