The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 4, 2006, 08:23 PM   #1
brett30030

Shootin glasses for those with eyeglasses

Any recommendations for the 4 eyes out there for:

1. shooting glasses that fit over your regular prescription glasses.

2. sources for good prescription shooting glasses.

there are many found online, but i want to deal with someone that i can count on.

Thanks
Old August 5, 2006, 09:09 AM   #2
johnbt

I have my everyday glasses made with polycarbonate lenses - Varilux progressives because I have really bad eyes and I'm over 50. Ask your eye doc if they can make your prescription in polycarbonate that's thick enough in the center to meet the safety standard. Polycarb is what they use in safety glasses. And pay for the extra scratchproofing.

The tradeoff is you don't get side protection, but you do get protection every minute of the day no matter what you're doing - power tools, hammering, messing with gun springs and recoil plugs, etc.

If you can afford the expensive Flexon frames by Marchon you will end up with super light glasses that spring back when you sit on them - or after clamping muffs on your head. And a real benefit is that you'll get a great seal over the frames when you wear muffs. I started wearing glasses in 1960 and I'm a believer.

www.marchon.com/htmls_2004/flexon.html

"Flexon frames return to shape even after accidental bending occurs. Crafted with a titanium based alloy developed by the US Naval Ordnance Lab, Flexon is made from one of the most flexible metals in the world. With four exclusive patents on Flexon, Marchon is able to offer the wearer superior eyewear that provides comfort, durability and functionality that only a technologically superior product can deliver."

It's true. You can wrap them all the way around your finger - full circle plus some - and they spring right back. IIRC they told me you can do the full wrap demonstration about 200 times. I've been using my frames for 6 years and they still grab my head and never require bending and adjusting to maintain the fit.

John
Old August 5, 2006, 09:42 AM   #3
Limeyfellow

polycarbonate lens are nice. I have them in my glasses. You can buy side panels for your glasses that fit over the arms made from the same stuff thats used in alot of factories and other work places with industrial eye protection is needed for glasses wearers. They are cheap enough and will give you side protection.
Old August 6, 2006, 08:17 AM   #4
Eghad

Quote:
I have my everyday glasses made with polycarbonate lenses - Varilux progressives because I have really bad eyes and I'm over 50. Ask your eye doc if they can make your prescription in polycarbonate that's thick enough in the center to meet the safety standard. Polycarb is what they use in safety glasses. And pay for the extra scratchproofing.
got a pair of nice wrap around Ray-Bans with polycarbonate prescription lenses..work fine.

NRA Life Member
Old August 6, 2006, 01:06 PM   #5
22-rimfire

Outdoors I usually wear the wear-over amber sunglasses from Walmart. No safety glasses per say, but the do have the side shield and the extra lense over the eye should be sufficient for most things to protect the eyes. In doors, you need regular clear or yellow lens wear over safety glasses that are available from places like Lowes or any of the safety catalog places. They are clumsey, but work.
Old August 13, 2006, 09:12 PM   #6
madmurdoc

Ess Ice 2.4

These are the best combination RX safety/shooting glasses I have seen. They come with three lenses; tinted, clear, and yellow; all of which have 100% UVA and UVB protection. The RX insert, I have the wire frame, fits inside the replaceable shield lense so it is protected completely. The arms are adjustable and replaceable. I use these as safety glasses, RX sunglasses, and shooting glasses. They are comfortable and very affordable. I got mine from a site online for $50 and after the lenses were made they totaled about $150. Anyone who has looked for RX safety glasses will tell you right now that that is a about half the going rate (at least in my area). I have since found better deals online when purchased as a package.

P.S. These are ballistic rated for shotgun fire at 10 meters as well.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/ice24.html

Michigan Constitution, Declaration of Rights, Sec. 5. "Every person has a right to bear arms for the defense of himself and the state."
Old August 22, 2006, 01:31 PM   #7
mdao

I use a set of RX safety glasses, sideshields and all, from my local optometrist. $70 for the frame, $150 for the polycarb lenses.