The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 9, 2012, 09:16 AM   #1
Husqvarna

Anybody got any Savage Arms information re axis vs m10

Anybody got any Savage Arms information re axis vs m10?

So I had narrowed my search down for a left handed bolt gun on a budget, the axis fit all my criterias bar iron sights (but I was gonna stick a red dot on it anyway.

Axis are sold over here, I've read and watched good reviews both US and domestic(swedish)

Then I stumble on a good package deal for a model 10, which seems to be just sold internationally?

edit scratch that, there is a US version but a different scope for some reason???

So what is the difference in m10 vs axis apart from the wood vs synthetic stock? Long or short action?, because all the replacement stocks on swedish midway say long action. the .308 doesn't require a long action does it?

the axis action has been described as somewhat crude during the first couple of hundred repeats, the same for m10?

M10 also promises sub moa out of the box

and what does sku mean when checking savage arms webpage?

and does 4 rounds mean 3 in the mag and one in the chamber?

plastic or metal mag?, can you top it of?

the synthetic axis is a couple of inches longer with the same length barrel, any reason for that?

Does savage have a good supply of aftermarket parts?

And for the life of me I can't understand what satin means in terms of finish, isn't satin a fabric? it is not laminated is it? I've heard that laminated are easily scratched and so on

the MSRP for the m10 is twice that of the axis (but I assume that is due to the package deal with a fitted scope? is a Weaver 3-9x40 Scope a 400 dollar scope?

tnx

Just in general american guns are not viewed so favourable by the old guard over here (but the new guard all seem to have rem700 and mossbergs and etc) the old farts use their old husqvarna or go for fancy euro stuff. the same old guard love your cars thou
Old July 9, 2012, 10:12 AM   #2
mrawesome22

Laminated stocks use thin layers of wood, pressed together under high pressure, heat, and epoxy. They are extremely tough and rigid.

Satin means low glare, not glossy.

M10 is a standard short action. M110 is long action.

Axis is the budget model meant to be made as cheaply as possible. M10 and axis share nothing in common.

SKU just means factory part number. Stock keeping unit.

Sent from HenseMod6.
Old July 9, 2012, 10:16 AM   #3
Husqvarna

thanks, great the package deal seems even better now because over here the axis is just cheaper due to not coming with a scope, the package deal is almost half the price for any other new gun I have seen

I must've gotten the word laminated wrong, isn't it the same word you use for paper when you but warm plastic over it?

so what is it called when you have a stock that isn't oiled but way shinier/glossy? I have seen it on mostly nice shotguns, safe queens if anything because one nick and you gotta refurbish it, I may have gotten that word wrong to
Old July 9, 2012, 10:20 AM   #4
mrawesome22

Glossy finish will be called gloss, high gloss, high lustre, etc.

They laminate lots of different materials. Many thin layers put together are much stronger than one solid piece.

Sent from HenseMod6.
Old July 9, 2012, 10:41 AM   #5
Husqvarna

now i got it, like a laminated bow

i was thinking about lacquered
Old July 9, 2012, 10:47 AM   #6
mrawesome22

Yes. Many modern compound bow limbs are laminated.

Sent from HenseMod6.
Old August 24, 2012, 03:03 PM   #7
Husqvarna

I am upping this again

axis vs m10?
Old August 24, 2012, 05:47 PM   #8
Polinese

As someone mentioned the axis is a budget model. designed to be produced quickly and cheaply (even more so than the normal M10/110 action). I have one and while its a great little rifle you are pretty much stuck with how you get it from the factory. There is no aftermarket support for it and given some of the design choices and intended budget role of the rifle there isn't likely to ever be much support for it. There is a trigger or two that will fit it thats about it.

The m10/110 is their standard action that has been around for decades in one form or another. I don't know about the swedish midway site but there is a much bigger aftermarket for the m10 you can start with a budget package model and turn it into a heavy barreled precision rig in your garage with little effort if thats what you want. There are different versions of the m10 such as staggered feed/center feed, location of the floorplate release etc. Seems that for the most part the older staggered feed has the biggest number of replacement parts (namely stocks, as many of the ohter parts will work across the different versions of the rifles), but I've seen the center feed stocks getting more support in the way of parts, (again namely stocks).

If I had the choice I'd go with the model 10. The axis is cheap, accurate, but it is a budget gun. Good for buying if someone will need a rifle to borrow, or just a beater gun or something. Model 10 is the way to go.

As for the action length 308 is a short action (savage short action is more of a medium action) but i guess once upon a time savage only had the 110 and did all their chamberings on the long action. Also a lot of sites will just list all of the parts under the 110 listing because they will work on either the long or short action version. If i'm not mistaken stocks are usually the only part that won't fit between a 10 and a 110. Triggers, barrels, recoil lugs etc are going to be the same for either one and thus might only be listed under the 110 section.
Old August 24, 2012, 06:33 PM   #9
wild willy

Savage has a left hand Axis in their catalog. Where supposed to be available in January then it was April then June then August.As far as I know none are available yet.Who knows when if ever.
Old August 25, 2012, 08:56 AM   #10
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild willy
Savage has a left hand Axis in their catalog. Where supposed to be available in January then it was April then June then August.As far as I know none are available yet.Who knows when if ever.
Ain't that the truth. I've got two left-hand Axis rifles on order and my LGS tells me that they'll be in his shop sometime in early September. We'll see. They're supposed to be Christmas presents for left-handed (and left-eyed) grandkids.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old August 25, 2012, 01:56 PM   #11
Husqvarna

that doesn't bode well for me across the pond they said September for me to
Old October 21, 2012, 04:06 AM   #12
Husqvarna

Upping this again

on the website they claim "silky smooth" but in reviews and forums I've read that you need to work the bolt with grease or something a while before it smooths out?

I went with a tikka but my brother is in the market and he is a poor student so..

the savage website claims a 4 round capacity is that 4 in the mag and one in the barrel or 3+1?

Would a weaver mount work over the action?

Is the trigger adjustable?
Old October 21, 2012, 04:22 AM   #13
Polinese

Most probably won't believe me but Cycling my axis is actually smoother than most of the rem 700's I've tried (really don't understand the fascination with that rifle). Silky smooth might be pushing it but its a pretty smooth action in my experience. It's a four round magazine, plus another in the chamber if you so wish. Mine came with weaver bases on the receiver. Trigger isn't adjustable as far as I know. Heard a gunsmith can do a little work to it but not like other triggers, rifle basix does make a replacement for it though.
Old October 21, 2012, 07:26 AM   #14
Husqvarna

Thanks polinese!

maybe i'll order a .223 at the same time
Old October 23, 2012, 05:45 AM   #15
PawPaw

Here we are in mid-October, and the rifles I've ordered haven't come in yet. I talked to my LGS guy yesterday while I was picking up hunting licences and he's talking to his distributor, who's talking to Savage, and they're starting to ship, slowly. I called Savage myself, two weeks ago, and they told me that they were shipping left-hand Axis in .30-06 and .270, and that the .308s should start to ship soon.

The dealer hopes to have my rifles in-hand late this week or early next week. I think that it is a low-down, dirty-dog, crying shame that Savage catalogs rifles that a distributor can't order and receive in a couple of weeks. I understand that they've got to do batch runs, yada, yada, but I've had these rifles on order since the summer and no joy yet.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old October 23, 2012, 05:58 AM   #16
4runnerman

I just picked up a Axis XP in a 243 2 weeks ago. The rifle shoots like a dream. I did take the trigger out and clip 2 coils off the spring ( nasty pull ) and now it is very nice. I was not expecting the world from this low level rifle,but i have to tell you, I am very very impressed so far. Sub MOA ( like every Savage right out of the box). This is my first so called normal barreled rifle i have got. After working up a load with 85 gn Serria's this thing will shoot less than 1 inch groups at 300 yards. As stated here from another. It is what it is, No bells or whistles and no mods so to say for it. Action is smooth and works very well. All in All if this is for hunting,you can't go wrong with it
Old October 23, 2012, 08:56 AM   #17
Jimro

I handled a friends Axis and was quite impressed with how smooth the action was compared to a normal Savage 10/110 action. The rifle won't win any beauty contests, but it will shoot just fine.

Jimro