The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old March 2, 2010, 12:19 AM   #1
k9cougar

Drills for too much finger pull

I am shooting pretty consistently, at 30 feet, 2 to 4 inches to the left of target. Fairly tight grouping just going left. I am right handed shooting a glock 19. The folks at the range tell me I am pulling too hard and getting the rest of right hand involved in the pull instead of moving just my trigger finger. Any drills someone can suggest to help correct that. I know it takes practice. Just looking for practice tips. I had a few folks just tell me to adjusts my sights but just doesn't feel right to me.
Old March 3, 2010, 10:47 AM   #2
DogoDon

Not sure why no one has chimed in yet, but I'll offer the advice that is often given for trigger pull issues:

dry fire -- a lot (take whatever precautions are needed for your particular gun, i.e., snap caps if dry firing without them could harm the firing pin, etc.) -- and of course make sure the gun is unloaded and pointed in a safe direction!

A couple of drills that were suggested to me: Tape a small piece of paper having a cross-hair drawn on it to the wall a little below eye level. Take your usual shooting stance with the end of the barrel about 1 inch from the paper. Align your sights with the intersection of the cross-hair. Practice a straight-back trigger pull without disturbing the alignment of the sights with the cross-hair. Try it, it's a lot harder than it sounds. Do that until you can keep the sights aligned several times in a row.

If you have access to a laser that you can attach to the gun (it doesn't have to be perfectly aligned with the barrel), practice dry firing while keeping the laser dot motionless. If you're pulling the gun to the left at the trigger break, the dot will jump to the left.

Just my initial thoughts. I'm sure others can give more/better advice.

Good luck!

DogoDon

P.S. I have a similar issue with my Glock 23, and I could swear that I'm not disturbing the sight alignment -- but I obviously must be, so I'll be working on the same drills.
Old March 3, 2010, 04:02 PM   #3
1911rocks

Balance a dime on he front sight. Squeeze to release. The dime should remain balanced on the front sight blade. It may be difficult with a Glock owing to it's trigger.
Old March 3, 2010, 11:14 PM   #4
k9cougar

Excellent ideas! I will try them both. and practice, practice, practice.
Old March 4, 2010, 04:34 AM   #5
Derekadavis

Both great ideas!
I have always had had the same problem. I started dry firing and it has help me greatly. I try to have a short dry fire session twice a week for at least 10 mins with both of my handguns. A short dry fire session before heading to the range really helps also. Practice slow and steady. You will get much faster and accurate as you get in more practice.

I have been shooting for about a year and a half now. When I first started I was terrible. After dry fire practice for about 6-7 months I have improved dramaticaly.
Old March 4, 2010, 11:02 AM   #6
DRice.72

Neat drills! I'll have to remember this when I buy my first pistol.
Old March 4, 2010, 07:43 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

Go here, scroll about 2/3's down to the Lee Shot Analyser .pdf and down load it. http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf.html
If you're consistently getting a group, adjust the rear sight. If your pistol has fixed sights, you'll have to drift it with a brass punch and a plastic mallet.
Old March 4, 2010, 08:02 PM   #8
fpchief

what the others have said, plus it is a standard rule to only put the middle of your end pad of your finger on the most rearward part of your trigger. practice pulling it STRAGIHT back, like you are pulling your finger back, through the gun and towards your nose. of course if you have great big meat hooks using a smaller pistol, you might have problems.
Old March 13, 2010, 02:39 AM   #9
T. O'Heir

"...if you have great big meat hooks using a smaller pistol..." Change the grips. A handgun has to fit your hand to be able to shoot it well. Too small can be fixed with a change of grips. Too big can be, sometimes, but not always.
Had a 4" Smith 19 that I couldn't get to fit my hand right no matter what grips I put on. The 'K' frame is just too big for my wide, but short hands. My GP100 fits perfectly with no grip change required.