The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 26, 2012, 12:08 AM   #1
540EdgeFlyer

NGD! Sig 1911-22

Went two weeks ago to my favorite gun shop, Olde English Outfitters, looking to buy a Kimber Custom II. After handling the Kimber for a bit, I realized it just didn't "do it" for me, so I started looking at more expensive 1911s. And then unfortunately decided that I didn't want to spend $1200+ that day.

Not wanting to go home empty handed, I looked around at some other pistols, and had always wanted a cheap to shoot 1911, so the Sig caught my eye. After pulling the trigger once or twice, I pulled the trigger, and bought it. $399.

That was 2 weeks ago, and today I finally got a chance to take it to the range. I was feeding it Winchester white box hp ammo. I got to the range late, and only had about 40 minutes.... split between the new 22, and my springfield .45, but I did get to put 5 full magazines (50 rounds) thru the Sig, with zero problems. The gun was flawless right out of the box. The only problem I had was that it seemed to shoot aprox 2 inches low at 7 yards. It came with 3 different front blade sights of differing heights, so I'll probably swap to the next shorter one before my next range trip.

That being said, the little pistol shot very regular groups of about 1-1.5" at 7 yards which is about all the better I can shoot regardless of the gun. So I'd say the gun is capable of more accuracy that I am.

I've never owned a 1911 with the curved backstrap before, and I find it very comfortable, even though I don't really like the looks, but it's a minor thing.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with my purchase. This is my only .22 handgun, and I really like the idea of being able to go to the range, and spend several hours shooting, and only spend $10 on ammo!

I plan on putting substantially more rounds thru it later in the week, I'll give an update then. If today is any indication, I expect nothing but trouble free operation.

Good Job Sig / GSG!!
Old November 26, 2012, 09:04 AM   #2
darkroommike

ATI version

Yup, I've put thousands of rounds through mine, it likes/feeds everything though I have had ignition problems with the Remington .22's. I finally broke the aluminum barrel bushing got on the phone with ATI and had a replacement steel bushing in the mail right away. Replaced the recoil buffer rubber at the same time. Note that the newer SIG imported GSG-1911's should already have the upgraded parts. One word of warning, recoil springs on some versions go in only one direction, reverse the spring and the gun will lock up, and when I say lock up I mean LOCK UP real good. The spring has a very slight taper, why it does, I have no clue, newer iterations are supposed to have an improved spring, I marked one end of mine with red paint. Get a second magazine, you'll thank me later.

Compared to the GSG the Chaippa looks and feels like a cheap cap pistol (cast pot metal), the Browning is nice but expensive and the Umarex "Colt" is less 1911 than the GSG but if Christmas came early I'd take one.

My Ruger Standard might be a bit more accurate, the 1911 is more fun to shoot, both shoot better than I can!
Old November 26, 2012, 01:56 PM   #3
qwiksdraw

The Sig/GSG is 80% swappable with GI spec 1911 parts, so you can replace the mainspring housing with a flat one. I had mine swapped out to a flat MSH with the lanyard loop. The retaining pin is placed differently in the design of the Sig/GSG than the GI spec, but it will work. Don't be surprised if some fitting is needed, that is typical of any 1911.

Hope you have as much fun with yours as I have had with mine.
Old November 27, 2012, 10:38 PM   #4
540EdgeFlyer

Thanks for the info guys! I stopped in the LSG today, and looked at a new Sig mag....holy cow... $54! I think I'm going to research a GSG mag! It will be really nice having two.

Oh, and Dark... I've fired the Chiappa... easily the biggest POS i've ever held in my hand. Damn shame too, as I really wanted to like it, as they're made here locally. But the one I fired was lucky to get 3 rounds off without some sort of malfunction.
Old November 28, 2012, 07:23 AM   #5
PSP

Just yesterday I took my almost new GSG 1911 to the range for it's second outing. I'm very pleased with my purchase. This is a very accurate pistol. I purchased a second mag for about $30 at a gun shop. I looked at the Sig as well when I bought, but it was priced about $40 higher than the GSG for some reason.

Last edited by PSP; November 28, 2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old November 28, 2012, 06:48 PM   #6
qwiksdraw

You got a good price on that GSG mag. I've found them locally go for $35, but at the gun shows I can get them for $30, if I can find them.

Sig charges $10 more because they can. I've seen some Sig mag prices as high as $48!
Old November 28, 2012, 07:59 PM   #7
darkroommike

GSG mags

I gave a little more than $35 locally from my small LGS. But that's no shipping, etc. so I was happy. SIG's pricing on magazines is nuts, may be part of the reason GI's are strapping on Beretta's instead of SIG Sauer. The P226 is less money than the M9 but the accessories are way higher. I was lucky a while back to find used real SIG mags for my P6 for $20 a pop and bought 4, bring my total to 6.
Old December 4, 2012, 03:20 AM   #8
540EdgeFlyer

Well, I took the Sig back to the range, and put another 150 round through it. Not a single malfunction. I also changed out the front blade sight for the next shorter one, and the pistol shoots dead nuts at 7 yards now.

I'm really having fun with this little guy. Being a 1911 fan, it's nice to have that familiar feel, and what makes it even better, is being able to rapid fire, and stay dead on target... cheaply.

Just for kicks, I was pulling the trigger as fast as I could, and still putting all 10 rounds into a hole about the size of a quarter! That's good shooting for me.

I love this little pistol!