The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 25, 2007, 10:59 AM   #1
davlandrum

Public land in Louisianna

Well, it appears I might be packing my house and moving to LA next summer. My wife's mom lives there and her health is not good. Couple that with my father-in-law passing this last spring, has my wife really thinking about moving.

Question for the combined intelligence - How much public access land is there in northern Louisianna? We would be in the Shreveport/Bossier City area.

I am retired military, so I know Fort Polk is one option, interested in others.

Also, how are hogs treated there, as varmits or game? What are the general deer regs (# of tags/year, multiple weapon options, etc ?) I know I can look it up, but if someone knows off-hand, I would appreaciate it.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old September 26, 2007, 11:13 AM   #2
davlandrum

Anyone?? Bueller??? Bueller??

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old September 26, 2007, 11:30 AM   #3
Eghad

Quote:
UNREGULATED QUADRUPEDS
Holders of a legal hunting license may take coyotes, unmarked hogs where legal, and armadillos year round during legal daylight shooting hours. he running of coyotes with dogs is prohibited in all turkey hunting areas during the open turkey season. Coyote hunting is restricted to “chase only” during still hunting segments of the firearm and archery only season for deer. Foxes are protected quadrupeds and may be taken only with traps by licensed trappers during the trapping season. Remainder of the year “chase only” allowed by licensed hunters.
http://www.wlf.state.la.us/hunting/wmas/wmas/

http://www.wlf.state.la.us/experienc.../maps/map.html

http://www.wlf.state.la.us/hunting/wmas/seasons/

NRA Life Member
Old September 26, 2007, 01:24 PM   #4
davlandrum

Thanks for the assist.

Old September 26, 2007, 01:37 PM   #5
Eghad

your welcome....

NRA Life Member
Old September 27, 2007, 06:19 PM   #6
FirstFreedom

Their license plates do say "Sportsman's Paradise", but I still think it'll be a step down for you from beautiful elk country - dang! Still, lotta hunters down there and you have hogs to shoot. Good luck; hope there's plenty o' hunting land for you.
Old October 10, 2007, 05:01 PM   #7
davlandrum

When I was stationed at Ft. Polk in the mid-1980's, the joke was "a sportsman's paradise, but a nightmare for everyone else"...

Of course, I was a "kid" then and a lot more interested in "hunting" than hunting...

I do know the bass fishing will be a lot better! And my wife is on notice that I will have to go somewhere to hunt elk....