The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 7, 2007, 08:14 AM   #1
KFDiesel

Hunting DEER in Indiana with a rifle cart. in handgun

Ive looked at the IDNR regs. and am still unclear if it is legal to hunt DEER in Indiana with a Win .270 in a TC Encore pistol. This is the pistol I own and just want to know if I can use it. It seems that it would be legal but I'd just like a confirm if anyone knows. Thank you very much.
Kirk
Old October 7, 2007, 09:40 AM   #2
buck460XVR

Here in Wisconsin they have a hotline on their DNR website where you can e-mail them a question and they generally will reply within 24 hours. It has helped me out a coupla times. Don't know iffin Indiana has the same thing, but it might be worth a try. I was under the impression to be legal for Indiana it had to be a straightwalled pistol cartridge, whereas a .270 is necked down rifle cartridge. I do know there is some controversy whether or not pistol ammo fired from a rifle is legal.
Old October 7, 2007, 09:53 AM   #3
Full-choke

Read over your pistol laws for deer season carefully.

In Ohio we are allowed to use any straight-walled cartridge with a caliber of .357 or larger. So, anything that necks down such as a 270 is illegal. But, my Encore 45-70 Gov't will be seeing some action out of a 16" barrel this year. Ohio put the "straight walled" part of that law in for the Contender and Encore basically. Guys had found a loophole in getting into rifle calibers so they changed the law. I'd check over the laws carefully and look for anything of the sorts.

F-C
Old October 7, 2007, 09:11 PM   #4
Rey B

From the 2007 Hunting Regulations
Legal Handguns for Deer Hunting
Handguns, other than muzzleloading, must have a barrel at least four inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter
or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long. Full metal-jacketed bullets are not permitted. Handguns are not permitted on any military areas. Some types of handgun
cartridges legal for deer hunting include 357 Magnum, 41 Magnum, 44 Magnum, 44 Special, 45 Colt, 45 Long Colt, 45 Winche-ster Magnum, 35 Remington and 357 Herrett.
Some illegal handgun cartridges for deer hunting are 38 Special, 38 Smith and Wesson, 38 Colt New Police, 38/200, 38 Long Colt, 38 Super, 38 ACP, 38 Colt Auto, 45 ACP, 45 Automatic and 45 Auto Rim. All 25/20, 32/20 and 30 carbine ammunition is prohibited also.
It would appear that you cannot use the pistol you wish to. The website is at http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/huntg...eneralinfo.pdf
There are a couple of numbers on that site that you can call to get information.
Old October 7, 2007, 09:33 PM   #5
FirstFreedom

Quote:
Handguns, other than muzzleloading, must have a barrel at least four inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter
or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long. Full metal-jacketed bullets are not permitted. Handguns are not permitted on any military areas. Some types of handgun
cartridges legal for deer hunting include 357 Magnum, 41 Magnum, 44 Magnum, 44 Special, 45 Colt, 45 Long Colt, 45 Winche-ster Magnum, 35 Remington and 357 Herrett.
Some illegal handgun cartridges for deer hunting are 38 Special, 38 Smith and Wesson, 38 Colt New Police, 38/200, 38 Long Colt, 38 Super, 38 ACP, 38 Colt Auto, 45 ACP, 45 Automatic and 45 Auto Rim. All 25/20, 32/20 and 30 carbine ammunition is prohibited also.
*IF* that is the rule, then nothing there prohibits .270 out of a handgun. If .35 Remington is allowed, why not .270? Just make sure that that is the complete rule...if it is, then you're golden. Then your black and blue (in your hand) if you actually launch something from that hand cannon!
Old October 7, 2007, 09:39 PM   #6
Full-choke

Legal: Regarding a few points...

I think the cartridge in question is legal regarding a few factors.

The laws state caliber of .243 or larger, .270 is bigger, legal!
The case must be at least 1.16 inches long, I don't have any on me, but I'm pretty sure it is...
Full Metal Jacket bullets are prohibited, easy, get a soft point 3/4 jacket. If you are making your own rounds, you can use a high expansion soft nose easily and you wouldn't have to hunt for factory rounds.

So, as long as the cartridge casing is at least 1.16" long empty, then I see no reason why it wasn't legal. It says nothing about rifle calibers in handguns or straight-walled cartridges at all.

F-C
Old October 8, 2007, 07:43 AM   #7
tyrajam

Yes, it IS legal. You can use rifle cartridges in a handgun, and new for this year, handgun cartridges in a rifle. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I'm surprised the T/C's aren't more popular here in Indiana, because you can get your favorite deer cartridge in them and you're good to go. Remember, your ballistics will be less than published data due to the shorter barrel, but still, your 270 contender is perfectly legal.
Old October 8, 2007, 09:37 AM   #8
FirstFreedom

If I had a choice between a rifle cartridge in a handgun, or a handgun cartridge in a rifle, I'd be getting a T/C 14-15" bbl in 7-30 Waters or similar.
Old October 8, 2007, 05:07 PM   #9
Dirty_Harry

It is legal in Indiana to use rifle cartridges in Indiana. I just can't shoot with a pistol. I now use a Marlin 1894 in .357 Magnum for deer. I useto use a Remington 870.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old October 8, 2007, 06:11 PM   #10
USNairman

Yes, you CAN use a 270 out of a handgun to hunt deer in Indiana.