The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 14, 2002, 02:00 PM   #1
Correia

Aguila mini shotgun, not mini shells, but gun.

There is a picture in the back of Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement this month. Aguila is making a pump shotgun, made to use their mini shells. The receiver is 2 inches shorter than a standard 12 gauge. It looks like all of the dimensions are more compact. There wasn't a whole lot of information.

This could be just the ticket for some of our smaller statured folks who have a difficult time with standard home defense shotguns.
Old August 17, 2002, 09:37 AM   #2
Shin-Tao

I'm very eager to test one of these. The potential magazine capacity and shortness of the pump cycle are...enticing.
Old August 17, 2002, 01:43 PM   #3
Andrew Wyatt

this looks like one of those products where the idea is genious, but the execution is flawed.

I've had nothing but problems with the minishells out of my shotguns, and while i think they're a great idea (especially in slug form), I think they could be better constructed.

THe mini shell shotgun could be another example of a good idea and less than sterling execution.
Old August 17, 2002, 02:04 PM   #4
Chuck Dye

I have followed the short 12ga. and the .17 Aguila with some interest since stumbling on them some months ago. I note with interest that the Aguila web site http://www.aguilaammo.com dropped all mention of firearms in July-the Poseidon shotguns and the Ruger 77/22's set up for the subsonic 60gr. .22LR. If the muzzle velocities claimed in the web site are valid, the 12ga. appears to be a great idea.
Old August 19, 2002, 09:00 AM   #5
Hemicuda

Neat idea... (I would love one) BUT...

with a single source for ammo, they have the market cornered... and without them and their ammo, the gun is useless... not good for anything but a poorly shaped anchor...

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old August 19, 2002, 10:55 PM   #6
Zander

Quote:
I've had nothing but problems with the minishells out of my shotguns, ... -- Andrew
Can you be a little more specific, please?

My experience with the slug versions of the shorter shell is that they seem to feed and fire without problems as long as the follower is solid so that the shells can't tip downward.

Have you had feeding problems, failure to fire the shells...what?
Old August 19, 2002, 11:07 PM   #7
Andrew Wyatt

I had failures to extract with all the minshells I tested in my mossberg. I knew about the hollow follower thing, and had not as many problems with that as you'd think.

The cases stuck in the chamber bad enough after firing that i had to smack them out of the chamber with a cleaning rod.

I should amend my first post to say "shotgun" instead of shotguns.

I'm seriously contemplating modifying the shell lifter such that i can get the minishells to feed from the tube. perhaps i had a bad batch.