The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 4, 2011, 02:46 AM   #1
geologist

Re-attaching Wilson Scattergun front sight

I had a Wilson front sight installed on the 14" barrel of my shotgun a couple of years ago.

I assume that the gunsmith used the included glue that came with the front sight.

It detached yesterday at the range while I was shooting light loads. Temperature was -3C.

What is the best way for me to re-attach it? If I degrease it thoroughly will JB weld and a clamp re-secure it?
Old January 4, 2011, 06:45 AM   #2
darkgael

glue

Try Loctite 380. It is a reinforced super glue. Brownell's sells it as it is useful for attaching SG sights. I have used it successfully on an old Savage O/U.
Hard to find in retail stores.
Pete
Old January 4, 2011, 11:53 AM   #3
TheKlawMan

Whenever fastening with any kind of glue or adhesive, pay careful attention to the manufacturer's instructions, which I suspect will include removing any old bonding material from the site and perhaps roughing it up. Making it clean.
Old January 4, 2011, 11:56 AM   #4
FALacy

I'm sure JB weld would work fine. Just get it right the first time.
Old January 4, 2011, 01:23 PM   #5
darkgael

about JB

About JB Weld in this application.
I use the stuff for about everything else. Tubes and tubes of the stuff. What I did not like about it for front sight use is its weight. You want the sight to be tight to the barrel and JBW is thick stuff. if I push the sight down real tight, there's not a lot of JBW left to bond. And it has to set for 12-15 hours. I can't say it won't work but I have my doubts.
I did use JBW on a cut down SXS as a way to seal the gap between the barrels that was exposed by the cutting. That use was fine as you might expect.
Pete
Old January 7, 2011, 09:47 PM   #6
GunCat

Does your barrel have the Remington style bead pedestal under the Wilson front sight?

If it does, I can recommend drilling through the sight and pedestal so a 1/16” roll pin can be installed through both parts. This pin adds a mechanical lock, consider it backup/insurance to help the JB weld type glue do its job.
Hardships are quickly forgotten. Intense heat, bitter cold, rain and snow, fatigue, and luckless hunting fade quickly into memories of great fellowship, thoughts of beautiful country, pleasant camps, and happy campfires.
Fred Bear 1902-1988
Old January 7, 2011, 09:55 PM   #7
pabuckslayer08

JB will work but give it 48 hours to dry. It says less but give it atleast the 48 hrs before removing the clamp.
Old August 3, 2011, 11:39 AM   #8
geologist

I cleaned the barrel, wiped it with solvent and let it dry. I re-attached the sight with JB Weld, clamped it and left it for 3 days.

Finally got out to the range with it, fired 20 Federal 1 oz slugs and the sight held.

Thanks for all of the advice.
Old August 3, 2011, 04:21 PM   #9
dwaawd

Which JB Weld did you use?
Old August 5, 2011, 08:42 AM   #10
geologist

Just the regular one, black and white caps, comes out metallic gray colored.
Old August 5, 2011, 08:51 AM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

There is JB KWIK and JB WELD. I think that was why asked which one.

Brent