The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 12, 2002, 11:59 PM   #1
Drjones

Rape in Santa Barbara...

So I'm in Santa Barbara for the weekend. Today, someone stuck flyers on all car windshields around Isla Vista telling of a rape that occured Sat. Oct. 5.

Apparently a group of between SIX and EIGHT black college-age males forced a girl into a bathroom and assaulted her, with some of the group keeping watch.

What would you do if you happened upon such a situation?

I would shoot each and every one of them in the head, and not stop until the coroner came around to mop up what little would be left of them.

I have been asking lots of girls around here if I.V. is safe, and the general consensus is "not really." Apparently rapes aren't totally rare. Guys busting into homes and assaulting girls. Wonderful...

Just thought I'd share...
Old October 13, 2002, 12:11 AM   #2
Destructo6

IV is a slum.

I live in Goleta because, after looking around IV for a domicile, I could see anything I left around there of value would be stolen or defaced.

Keep all of them clean.
Old October 13, 2002, 02:38 AM   #3
imadork

The 8 shot mossberg with bayonet, I could get them all. Why can't I happen upon crimes like that? I wish...
Old October 13, 2002, 04:10 AM   #4
Pendragon

Ah... the self indulgent justice fantasy

Rapists should most certainly be shot in the head, and I think that a rape in progress warrants a shoot first policy, but the odds of happening upon that scenario... pretty rare.

I think most rapes happen in an isolated place - the victims home for example - or, even worse, "crime scene 2" which makes survival very iffy if it goes that far.

Sweet wife is now insisting we go to the range and she learn to shoot the .38s and the .45 - to protect herself and the baby.
Old October 13, 2002, 05:20 AM   #5
Drjones

Actually, that rape happened at a party. Crowded house.

My sister and her friend were BOTH THERE at that same party that night!

As I said, one/two guys took her into a bathroom while the other cowards kept watch.
Old October 13, 2002, 07:28 AM   #6
pax

Pendragon,

Good for her! Let us know how it goes.

pax
Old October 13, 2002, 11:28 AM   #7
croyance

The unfortunate reality of bad neighborhoods. The shame of it is that many are honest people with low paying jobs. Because of all the violent crime, black "community leaders" have turned them against the lawful ownership and use of guns (as a voting group). If any demographic needs affordable and immediate self defense, it is those in low income neighborhoods.
It seems like even in those neighborhoods, it is mostly, though not exclusively, victims of opportunity. People leaving their doors unlocked, or windows open on a hot night.
In any self defense scenario. I would shoot at the body. Less chance of missing. Missing can lead to the injury or death of a bystander (there can be others behind walls or down the street). Missing can lead to other things, like a bg grabbing a weapon he put down, and killing the woman they are raping. The real goal is to stop the crime immediately, not to be the executioner.
Old October 13, 2002, 11:39 AM   #8
Blackhawk

Crowded house, strangers among the crowd, alcohol and/or other conscousness modifying chemicals, etc.? That's not a party.

It's a developing situation, a.k.a. a bacchanal.

Avoid them.

If the girl did, she wouldn't have been raped.

If you do, you won't be tempted to murder "innocent" revelers.
Old October 13, 2002, 01:52 PM   #9
Destructo6

Isla Vista is a mix of 18-24 year old UCSB students, drop outs, drug dealers, poor Mexican laborers, and others.

You'd think rent would be cheap, but it's $950 for the least expensive stuff.

There's always something bad going on in Isla Vista. From some Hollywood director's son killing 4 with his car two years ago, to rapes, to more benign things, like drunks being stripped naked and left on a sofa in the street.

The local police patrol it heavily, yet crime continues to be rampant.

Keep all of them clean.
Old October 13, 2002, 02:14 PM   #10
archeryfanatic

Sad. Women always think they are safe in a crowd- you can only be safe with people you know and trust.

With regard to the rapists, I think we need stiffer punishments here in the US. Always amazes me when people bring up the argument that the punishment is too harsh for the crime etc etc. My take on it is, if you don't like the punishment then don't do the crime!
Old October 13, 2002, 04:51 PM   #11
KP95DAO

Hey, you all are being much too harsh on the lads. After all, the Brothers had needs!

How many of you have followed the trial of the Brothers Carr, Reginald and Jonathan. As bad as it gets as far as a crime goes and yet you will hear nothing of it in the national news. You can get an idea by going to Wichita Eagle which will get you the paper. Court TV had the fifty plus indictment on its site. I don't know if it's still there.

Of course it all could have been prevented by not answering the door at 11:00 pm without a gun in your hand. It is very bad business and unless you have a strong stomach, don't look up the coverage.

Last edited by KP95DAO; October 13, 2002 at 05:44 PM.
Old October 13, 2002, 05:02 PM   #12
Miss Demeanors

Quote:
Actually, that rape happened at a party. Crowded house.
That doesn't suprise me one bit. In this particular case, the rapist happened to be black, however lets not forget it has happened at 'white' parties too. It's ashame no one had any b***s to stop it.
Old October 13, 2002, 09:34 PM   #13

hi, this is my first post to the firing line, though I've lurked for around a year.

This is the third year that I've lived in Isla Vista, and I'm a senior at UCSB. I was hoping I could add some perspective to the environment here.

This place is pretty crazy. It is mostly college students from 18-23 yrs and the rest are poor mexican families. In any case, every fall a lot of girls around here are away from home for the first time and they go out for the first quarter (just started) and drink for the first time. I've not heard of this since I stopped reading the liberal rag they call a student newspaper so I don't really know the details. Every fall the local police station has about 60 officers patroling less than a square mile of apartments and they mostly look for drunk college kids. They can't really enter house parties without a reason and nobody wants them to anyway. A good part of the police reports published in the newspaper are about arresting drunk girls being carried home by strange guys they met at parties. You get the idea. In any case, on my street (Seville) all the cars had 2 tires slashed last night and a couple years ago the local street gang g-13 were knifing students after mugging them. Only last year a girl's home was invaded through an unlocked door (they leave them unlocked so their roommates can get back in) and she was beaten by some masked guy with a beer bottle. She withdrew from the college. Ofcourse a lot of people know about David Attias and his running down 5 people and killing 4 (a block down from my apartment). This place is a ghetto. In any case, I've been accepted to the master's program and this school has a good engineering program so I'll be living in my $1100 a month tenement block for another 2 yrs prolly. If anybody has some questions, I'll be happy to post answers.

In any case, it's cool to know I'm not the only TFLer around these parts in the good 'ol PRK. Be safe...
Old October 13, 2002, 09:53 PM   #14
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

$1100 a month? For that kind of slum?
Old October 13, 2002, 10:19 PM   #15
Blackhawk

1812, welcome to TFL as a poster!

Sorry your living conditions aren't better.
Old October 13, 2002, 10:24 PM   #16

yup,
The problem is that the university keeps over enrolling students. When I first came here they put three of us into a 2 person dorm room. I think that they keep increasing by about 1k students a year. Another part of the problem is that they have a moratorium on new buildings in Santa Barbara Co (this is from an 2 yr old econ class I took) since 1976 or something. Santa Barbara is a really dry place with very little usable water. Parking on campus is really limited since new buildings are being put up all the time, mostly due to grants for research (did I mention this place got two nobel prizes in 2001?) and so many people will pay the extra moolah to stay near as possible to campus. Nobody around here takes the bus and the parking passes are hard to get and expensive (I think about $300 a quarter). This place is supposedly the densest square mile west of the Mississippi. Another thing I seem to remember from somewhere was that this place consumed 1% of total consumption alcohol in the US on a weekend. If anybody knows where that stat comes from let me know.
regards...
Old October 13, 2002, 10:37 PM   #17

Thanks Blackhawk,
Don't worry about the living conditions though, this really is a beautiful area, and overall I've enjoyed going to college here tremendously. Sorry if I let on otherwise.

I hope they throw the book at these bottom-feeders and girls start to take on more responsibility given stories like this. Unfortunately, I tend to think that the university tries to hush things like this up since Isla Vista is a boil on their a$$, so that many girls may not even know what things are like here. I don't really know since I haven't lived on campus since freshman year haven't gone through their 'orientation' but when I did it was mostly about how not to get busted with an MIP (minor in possession) or a drunk in public. I don't have to worry about rape or MIPS since I'm 21 and a guy.

Oh yeah, Don Gwinn, I forgot to mention how prevalent enviromentalists are here. They don't seem to like offshore oil drilling, new modern buildings, or powerful plumbing (low-flow toilets, if you don't know what I mean don't ask).

Cheers...
Old October 13, 2002, 10:57 PM   #18
Mariner

1812 -

Regarding that alcohol stat: urban legend. I went to Chico State until very recently (graduated last year) and people would say the same sorts of things around our town (ex. Chico consumes 2% of all coors products annually). No such stats are kept.

The South Campus neighborhood in Chico reminds me a lot of IV, but I don't think it is quite as ghetto. Many similar crimes though, which the PD screams bloody murder about but everyone else seems to want to keep them quiet for some reason...

Fighting ignorance one post at a time.
Old October 14, 2002, 12:54 AM   #19
imadork

Can anyone find this in the news? I wasn't able to after a fairly extensive search. Does the flyer list any info on where the attack took place?
Old October 14, 2002, 01:23 PM   #20
Drjones

Since someone went to the trouble of making up flyers, I'll assume that "they" don't want the students to know about it. People I know were there at that exact house the night it happened. *chills*

If you want me to find out, I can.

Email me for more info.
Old October 17, 2002, 03:05 PM   #21

there is a story in the newspaper now.
here is the link:

http://www.dailynexus.com/news/2002/3599.html
Old October 17, 2002, 03:17 PM   #22
WyldOne

I'm sure this wasn't the only rape in Santa Barbara. Rapes happen in all kinds of neighborhoods -- poor, middle class, rich. To/by all kinds of skin tones -- White, Black, Latino, Asian, Native American, anyone else I'm forgetting. It happens to all kinds of people, regardless of what they're wearing, what they do for a living, how many people they've ever kissed, etc.

1992-1994 statistics. (I can't find any more recent data) Of particular interest:

Quote:
316,000 estimated rapes or attempted rapes (R/AR) were committed. This means 868 R/ARs each day, or 36 R/ARs per hour, or one rape/attempted rape every 1.6 minutes.
Source: Victimizations reported to the police based on FBI data gathered nationally from law enforcement

In Boston, there has been a rash of sexual assaults and rapes. How do the police respond? In one neighborhood, they gave out free whistles to female residents. In another neighborhood, they kept police stations open a couple extra hours on a couple days, so more women could apply for a permit for pepper spray/mace. How did women's groups respond? Complete silence.

That's when I knew I have to get out of here.

WyldOne's Fun & Political BB

WyldOne's homepage
Old October 17, 2002, 03:22 PM   #23
Bogie

One thing here - don't be too quick on the trigger...

I knew a guy in college.

He was busted in a campus parking lot for rape.

Circumstances: He was in a car with a girl, and was discovered by a campus security patrolman. The girl cried rape.

Oh, and she was a dean's daughter, small blonde girl.

He was a rather large linebacker. And black.

The cop DID think that something was a little peculiar. Seems the "victim" had been on top...

So the campus cops didn't book him, and instead called the football dorm. We confirmed that they'd been dating for some time (without Daddy finding out...), fairly hot and heavy. Then several of us went down to convince her NOT to file charges. You see, the campus cop had pulled up next to 'em, and hit 'em with the spotlight, and she freaked out.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!