The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 2, 2002, 11:16 PM   #1
Robertelee

Browning shotguns

Greetings:

I'm thinking of buying a Browning BPS, 22" barrel (upland model). Anyone have comments/experience with the Browning pumps?
Old June 4, 2002, 12:06 AM   #2
Kingcreek

Good solid SGs. I like the "upland" models, they carry real easy, but some folks don't shoot the short tubes as well. I have little trouble with short barreled SGs myself.
Old June 4, 2002, 06:18 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Browning pumps are good'uns. They run a bit heavy for the uplands,but if you're built large and/or in excellent shape, shouldn't be much of a handicap.
Old June 4, 2002, 07:58 AM   #4
PJR

What gauge? In 12 they are a tad portly IMHO but the smaller-framed 20 gauge is quite nice. I'd try and shoot one of these guns if possible because the 22" barrel is going to be whippy regardless of gauge. I prefer a little more length, at least 26" in a pump or semi.

The BPS is a bottom feed/bottom eject gun and this can make it a bit awkward to load a single round. Thus the guns aren't that commonly seen on the clay courses. From the one's I've fired, they seem well built, smooth operating and I like the top tang safety.

Paul
Old June 4, 2002, 10:07 PM   #5
Bam Bam

I have BPS in 12 and 20 ga.s. Concur that the 12 ga is barrel heavy, although smooth-shucking. 20 ga. is sweet. Very pretty and swings like a dream. Elegant and effective. These guns were purchased 3-4 years ago. I like them much more than what I have seen recently. The recent guns I have seen have a matte finish, but seem unfinished. Mine are high gloss with polish. Both work great. If the gun you are looking at fits and you like the looks, buy it.