The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 8, 2022, 02:03 PM   #1
Barber2678

Sorting Bulk Brass - Need HELP!

I came into possession of almost literally a truckload of once fired brass of just about any and all calibers you can think of. Can anyone suggest the most efficient way to sort this stuff? I know some hand sorting will be required, but I'd like to minimize it as much as possible.
Old August 8, 2022, 02:21 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

What caliber's are involved?

Sorting 9mm from 40 or 45 is easy with a seive.
Old August 8, 2022, 02:39 PM   #3
ballardw

Basic approach would be similar to gravel sorting.

Start with a trough of some sort that allows only one round of most likely sizes involved to slide down one round at a time.
Cut a slot just long and wide enough for the smallest caliber to fall through, which will not be the actual case measurement possibly a bit smaller, further down the trough next largest size and so one.
Have a bucket under each slot so that indicates how far apart the slots should be.
Feeding the brass into the trough and keeping it moving is likely a balancing act.

Or accept some similarity of size to reduce complexity such as with https://www.badmanbullets.com/Online...o-Brass-Sorter

or similar sifters

Or find someone with one of these and pay them to sort it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcfE49ImaSU
Old August 8, 2022, 03:03 PM   #4
Barber2678

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguarxk120 View Post
What caliber's are involved?

Sorting 9mm from 40 or 45 is easy with a seive.
300 Win Mag to 22LR and everything in between.
Old August 8, 2022, 03:09 PM   #5
Barber2678

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballardw View Post
Basic approach would be similar to gravel sorting.

Start with a trough of some sort that allows only one round of most likely sizes involved to slide down one round at a time.
Cut a slot just long and wide enough for the smallest caliber to fall through, which will not be the actual case measurement possibly a bit smaller, further down the trough next largest size and so one.
Have a bucket under each slot so that indicates how far apart the slots should be.
Feeding the brass into the trough and keeping it moving is likely a balancing act.

Or accept some similarity of size to reduce complexity such as with https://www.badmanbullets.com/Online...o-Brass-Sorter

or similar sifters

Or find someone with one of these and pay them to sort it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcfE49ImaSU
I'll probably go the route of the bucket sorter and do it by hand beyond that. Most of the brass is large caliber rifle.
Old August 9, 2022, 10:43 AM   #6
ocharry

well i think you should have all of your shooting buddies over and do a little sorting and then a little shooting and then a barbeque and then some friendly drinking ......sounds like an event to me

dang i wish i lived closer

ocharry
Old August 9, 2022, 07:12 PM   #7
std7mag

If you run accross any 25 WSSM, or 25-06, i'll take it off your hands.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old August 9, 2022, 07:29 PM   #8
MSD Mike

Pay some kid to sort it.

Mike
Old August 10, 2022, 07:21 PM   #9
Unkl Chuck

I like MSD Mike's suggestion.
D.I.Y., take a rimmed baking sheet, a pour fair charge of brass on it, and sort by hand into boxes, coffee cans or whatever. Patience is required. Try to avoid drinking and sorting.
My wife bought about 25 lbs. of mixed used Lego's for the grandson, we had to wash and rough sort. Took a couple of days part time.
Enjoy.
Old August 11, 2022, 06:55 AM   #10
Spats McGee
Staff

checks the map to see how far away the OP is . . . .
Old August 11, 2022, 02:48 PM   #11
jetinteriorguy

I’d pick out as much as I need in whatever calibers I load for, then sell the rest by the five gallon bucket cheap and let the buyer sort it out.
Old August 11, 2022, 03:31 PM   #12
Scorch

The guys at our range that sell used brass use a screen to get the small stuff out first and let the 22LR brass drop out, then progressively larger screens. Once the handgun brass is separated from rifle brass you have to switch to a slot to sort by head size for rifle brass. Years ago, I used to work for a commercial reloader, we used a slotted board to separate 9mm, 38/357, 44 and 45 caliber, going from smallest to largest. The rimmed cartridges are the easiest to sort that way, the case body falls through the slot and the rim holds them up so you can separate 9mm/380 from 38/357. 45 ACP is separated next from the rimmed cartridges, then you have to separate rifle brass from what's left over. It's not as time consuming as it sounds once you have the sorting equipment.
Old August 11, 2022, 03:47 PM   #13
jag2

Several good ideas but consider the time and/or money to have someone else do it. I think I would go thru it for what I and maybe some friends want and sell the rest as bulk scrap metal.
Old August 11, 2022, 09:27 PM   #14
Unclenick
Staff

You could try the Berry's adjustable rotary brass sorter. About $42.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 11, 2022, 11:33 PM   #15
veprdude

It's fairly easy to sort rifle brass vs pistol brass. The rifle brass is generally worth more, so I'd hand sort that stuff. The pistol brass might be better off selling by weight.

You might want to pass a strong magnet over single layers to take out any steel that made its way in there.

I bought a wet tumbler and though I'd be smart by cleaning it first. It cleaned 90% it nicely but now I have a bunch of 9mm in a 40 in a 45 that I have to manually separate with pliers. Ooof.
Old August 21, 2022, 10:28 AM   #16
Airborne Falcon

I've never sorted a truck load of mixed brass at one time but I have sorted truckloads over time I suppose. Usually it's only three or four bucket loads at a time.

Sorting 380, 9mm, 40 and 45 is tricky because it stacks like russian nesting dolls.

Rifle brass is a little easier to sort.

Both can-be sorted with sifting trays, and I'll do that to get a rough sort ... but inevitably it's hand sorting that does it best especially if sorting by headstamp in the process.

I'll usually sit and sort while watching a ballgame ... put some empty tupperware bowls or cottage cheese containers out on my footstool and a bucket between my legs and I'll just sit there and sort brass. Doesn't take all that long once you get on a roll, especially if you've already sifted. 9mm and 380 are going-to-be the most pain in the ass. 40 fits inside 45 so there's that.

Whatever you do don't media tumble until it's all sorted or you'll regret it with the pistol brass.
Old August 21, 2022, 12:07 PM   #17
FITASC

Isn't this why grandkids were invented?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa

Tags
brass , once-fired , sort , sorting