The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 9, 2013, 06:28 PM   #26
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
if you can't get 100% hits in a 12" circle at that distance under those time constraints, you need to give some serious thought as to whether you should be carrying in public.
I agree fully.

What would frighten many is the sheer number of people I've met who couldn't shoot that qual and still carry for self-defense.
Old October 9, 2013, 06:43 PM   #27
dayman

I'll start by saying that I'm no pistolero. I shoot fair bit, but I've never competed, and I've only been to a public (as in not someone's back field) range once. While I've gotten a fair share of instruction from various experienced friends/family I've never really had the opportunity to take any formal training.
So, I'd think I'd be a decent base line.

I had intended to get home early enough to do things right, but my pregnant wife wanted fried pickles, so by the time I found those and made it home the light was fading.

Because I was pressed for time I only did 3 sets. I used a glock 19 - stock except for the greatly appreciated trijicons.
I wasn't rushing, but I was shooting about as fast as I could get off aimed shots (so, no timing breaths, or readjusting my grip), and averaged about 8 seconds on the first two strings, and a little faster on the third. I didn't have time to find my shot timer, so I just used a stopwatch which wasn't ideal, but good enough to let me know I was well under the 15sec mark.
Also, since my standing platform is set up at 10 yards and I couldn't find a tape measure to measure out 7, I shot from 10 yards. Plus, I don't like getting a whole lot closer than that to the steels.

I'm not entirely sure why there are 6 marks on the last target. Either I missed a spot when I repainted after round 2, or the wet paint did something weird.

So, it certainly seems doable.
Old October 9, 2013, 07:56 PM   #28
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Looks good. Grats!
Old October 9, 2013, 08:49 PM   #29
X_shooter

Did it to qualify for cpl first time through. I had pistol experience, others in the group went through a few times. I swear I think one got a mulligan since they couldnt hit anything all day. People should really try harder and keep trying.
Old October 12, 2013, 02:39 PM   #30
3.Shot.Group.

I got around to doing the drill this morning.

I fired these targets by setting 2 of them up on cardboard, loading a 7 rounder into the gun, firing 5 rounds into the 1st target and 1 into the 2nd target leaving one in the chamber, doing a mag change, then 4 more into the 2nd target, leaving 4 rounds in the gun I flipped the thumb safety on and went down range to change out the fired targets with 2 fresh ones, then I fired 3 rounds into the 3rd target, leaving 1 in the gun I loaded a mag with 6 rounds and fired 2 more rounds into the 3rd target and 5 rounds into the remaining target.

From Top Left to Bottom Right just like reading these lines. I my range is about 200 yards behind the house, up a steep hill, and around a pound, then back down a bit of a hill, so I was breathing kind of hard and my heart rate was up, which shows in the first couple of targets, and you can see how my groups settled down as I caught my breath and my heart rate returned to normal.

Looks like I still need to drift that rear sight to the right just a fuzz.

Pistol: Springfield Armory Mil. Spec. .45 ACP
Ammo: Winchester White Box 230gr FMJ
Targets: 12" EZE-Scorer Targets from WalMart
Range: Rough, uneven rip rap/sand bar behind the pond behind the house. It has a good hill behind it that rises about 1000 ft at about 35/40 degrees, with nothing behind it for miles.

Last edited by 3.Shot.Group.; October 14, 2013 at 09:04 AM.