The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 30, 2013, 10:59 AM   #126
RBid

Goofy Things Said At Gun Shops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Ah! I forgot: the most elite (make sure to use that word) cartridge is the most obscure and most expensive. Elite Tactical Ninja only carries the best, and the best is the cartridge nobody can get. Therefore, nobody else can prove it's not any better than anything else out there.

That, or .45 GAP. Same thing.
Exactly. The firearms community invented hipsters.

"I carry a Springfield TRP Operator, with a 400 Corbon conversion barrel. It can kill a grizzly with a miss of less than a foot. It's an obscure round. You've probably never heard of it. I discovered it at a gun show in a town nobody knows about. I have the original run of rounds, and the prototype barrel. I'll tell you more about it, after I quote some of Kalashnikov's poetry."
Old May 30, 2013, 11:53 AM   #127
doofus47

twobit
Quote:
9mm Parrabellum went out of favor when the Antebellum Period started in the Deep South.
And they say Latin is dead.....

This is is the hardest I've laughed in I don't know how long. I almost want to start hanging out at LGS's more often.
Old May 30, 2013, 12:03 PM   #128
FMJ1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBid View Post
Exactly. The firearms community invented hipsters.

"I carry a Springfield TRP Operator, with a 400 Corbon conversion barrel. It can kill a grizzly with a miss of less than a foot. It's an obscure round. You've probably never heard of it. I discovered it at a gun show in a town nobody knows about. I have the original run of rounds, and the prototype barrel. I'll tell you more about it, after I quote some of Kalashnikov's poetry."
Now that is funny stuff.
Old May 30, 2013, 05:09 PM   #129
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
The firearms community invented hipsters.
That's it. I'm growing a goatee, reading Camus, and smoking clove cigarettes. I remember when 10mm was an elite cartridge. Now that it's gone all mainstream, it's just not as cool anymore.

Can you dig it, baby?
Old May 30, 2013, 05:10 PM   #130
Bluestarlizzard

Zincwarrior,

Your wifes encounter is an example of why I want a Desert Eagle one day.

I don't really care for them. It's a hunting pistol and I don't hunt. I get annoyed by those who buy them as props for their tacticool testosterone fantasys.

However, if I have money to blow, I'm getting one in .50 AE and then I'm gonna have the most disgustingly girly Disney Princess style pimp job done on it.
Then I'm gonna go haunt public ranges and set myself up beside the biggest, baddest wannabe I can find. It should provide some awesome amusment possibiltys.
Old May 30, 2013, 09:57 PM   #131
RBid

Quote:
That's it. I'm growing a goatee, reading Camus, and smoking clove cigarettes. I remember when 10mm was an elite cartridge. Now that it's gone all mainstream, it's just not as cool anymore.

Can you dig it, baby?
I got nothin'. Laughing too hard
Old May 31, 2013, 11:37 AM   #132
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
New terminology: "launch power"! A round so powerful, it will throw you right out of the Earth's atmosphere!...but, it's strangely controllable on the user end.
Quote:
Um, that would be the 10mm Auto, from what I've heard
But that's true. Here is a pic of me shooting one of my 10s from several miles away. I was unharmed, in fact, it was just another day.

Old May 31, 2013, 06:33 PM   #133
hootey

Went in a LGS, asked the young man(new owner) if he had any single action 45's or 357s. He gave me one of the weirdest looks I've received since I retired from the world of corrections. His face started to turn red as he spoke "I wish all you old guys would quit coming in here asking me if I have any single actions. All yer going to do with it if I did have one to sell you is go to the river, walk around drinking beer, hualering Yeah Hah while you do yer fast draw and shoot dead trees. You need to stop pretending yer Matt Dillion and accept the fact that the Kimber 45's are the most accurate 45's ever made. You need a reality check and to accept reality". I turned around and walked out.
Old May 31, 2013, 06:36 PM   #134
KyJim

Are they still in business?
Old May 31, 2013, 07:07 PM   #135
BigTex308

Re: Goofy Things Said At Gun Shops

Quote:
Originally Posted by hootey View Post
Went in a LGS, asked the young man(new owner) if he had any single action 45's or 357s. He gave me one of the weirdest looks I've received since I retired from the world of corrections. His face started to turn red as he spoke "I wish all you old guys would quit coming in here asking me if I have any single actions. All yer going to do with it if I did have one to sell you is go to the river, walk around drinking beer, hualering Yeah Hah while you do yer fast draw and shoot dead trees. You need to stop pretending yer Matt Dillion and accept the fact that the Kimber 45's are the most accurate 45's ever made. You need a reality check and to accept reality". I turned around and walked out.
What a delta bravo!

Ike
Old May 31, 2013, 07:11 PM   #136
BerdanSS

I heard an ol guy in a gun shop holler across the shop at someone looking at a "last ditch" Arisaka one time. He was cautioning him not to dry fire it because the "springs" in "those old army guns" are so strong they can crack the bolt if dry fired and or damage the receiver.
Old May 31, 2013, 09:29 PM   #137
Tom Servo
Staff

"It's OK--it's not loaded."

Heard twice today. Both times untrue.
Old May 31, 2013, 10:19 PM   #138
shouldazagged

Quote:

That's not goofy, it's freakin' terrifying.
Old May 31, 2013, 11:02 PM   #139
Theohazard

Quote:
Quote:

That's not goofy, it's freakin' terrifying.
Agreed. As soon as someone tells me a gun isn't loaded, I know I should worry.

People who practice good firearm safety should assume EVERY gun is loaded, so they're going to clear it, hand it to me, and then they know I'll clear it like it was loaded. Telling me it isn't loaded is pointless; I'm going to treat it like it was loaded anyway.
Old June 1, 2013, 03:36 AM   #140
BigTex308

Plenty of folks have been killed/injured by an "unloaded" firearm.

Ike
Old June 1, 2013, 03:57 AM   #141
JimmyR

Probably the biggest goofy thing I have heard is how Indiana's Lifetime License to Carry a Handgun is "expiring this year"- rumors that have floated around local gun boards for YEARS. It always starts with "This guy at my LGS said..." or "My LEO friend said..."
Old June 1, 2013, 06:26 AM   #142
Shadow9mm

heard a few things. Heard an owner tell a couple guys that they cant shoot hollow points out of a high point because it will blow up. I have been told that the bullet weight is the powder volume (I would love to see someone try to cram 230g of powder into a 45acp case) and the ever popular myth that women should have a 38spl revolver because semi autos are too complicated (my wife's favorite gun was a P226 9mm)
Old June 1, 2013, 07:35 AM   #143
deepcreek

Quote:
I grew up calling ammo "shells" and still do in casual conversation with old friends and family who do the same. Not sure where the name "shells" came from, but if it is common lingo I don't have a problem with it. Only when talking to someone who isn't really familiar with the term.
I used to call bullets "shells" for many years.. I think I got it from my friends when I was younger, we would always go shoot prairie dogs "Did you bring some shells?"

So after a while I was thinking about it and how incorrect it was. Then I was thinking I probably went into dozens of places and asked for "shells" and probably used the term in dozens of conversations.
Old June 1, 2013, 08:30 AM   #144
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I heard a gun store owner telling a store full of customers, "the gubberment is gonna outlaw the AR's get me while ya can. I have X left, first come first serve". The even more insane part is to see the first time gun owner pay the exorbitant prices for his new Del-Ton AR, say: "they will have to pry it from my hands". Honestly the guy looked like the math teached from "Saved by the Bell". He just Rambo'd up. Moments later he was asking one of my buddies where to get some clips and boolits for it, but wanted the good stuff not the regular... He said"he didn't care what he had to spend".....

Well duh.... You spent over $2k on a Del-Ton and $750 for 420 round can of green tip XM855 (or as he said armor piercing rounds), and were willing to pay $50-75 a "clip". I had compassion and thought that some of these guys didn't deserve the prices they paid, but not many...lol.

This happened all over America, but until you actually lay eyes on it, that's when you truly think you might pee your pants...
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old June 1, 2013, 11:59 AM   #145
Bluestarlizzard

Quote:
I heard a gun store owner telling a store full of customers, "the gubberment is gonna outlaw the AR's get me while ya can. I have X left, first come first serve". The even more insane part is to see the first time gun owner pay the exorbitant prices for his new Del-Ton AR, say: "they will have to pry it from my hands". Honestly the guy looked like the math teached from "Saved by the Bell". He just Rambo'd up. Moments later he was asking one of my buddies where to get some clips and boolits for it, but wanted the good stuff not the regular... He said"he didn't care what he had to spend".....

Well duh.... You spent over $2k on a Del-Ton and $750 for 420 round can of green tip XM855 (or as he said armor piercing rounds), and were willing to pay $50-75 a "clip". I had compassion and thought that some of these guys didn't deserve the prices they paid, but not many...lol.

This happened all over America, but until you actually lay eyes on it, that's when you truly think you might pee your pants...
A fool and his money are quickly parted.

The firearms industry has made a buttload of that cliche in the past few years. Can't say I blame 'em.
*gigglesnort*
Old June 1, 2013, 07:21 PM   #146
BigTex308

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcreek View Post
I used to call bullets "shells" for many years.. I think I got it from my friends when I was younger, we would always go shoot prairie dogs "Did you bring some shells?"

So after a while I was thinking about it and how incorrect it was. Then I was thinking I probably went into dozens of places and asked for "shells" and probably used the term in dozens of conversations.

If you really want to get technical a "bullet" is only the projectile. The whole assembly is a cartridge, round, or ammo.

Ike
Old June 1, 2013, 07:24 PM   #147
FireForged

Good lord... I have a ton, let me see if I can remember a few:

1. " anytime a person asks me about a good IWB holster, I know right then that they have never worn a IWB holster".

2. "Those electronic earmuffs right there wont let in any noise higher than 86db, they cancel everything above 86."

Customer: "what about this here that says 27db noise reduction"

Clerk: "dont worry about that, its cancels everything above 86"

3. "bullets come down twice as fast as they go up.. thats why shooting in the air is so dangerous"

4. "its nearly impossible for a magazine to cause a feeding problem"
Old June 1, 2013, 08:33 PM   #148
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
If you really want to get technical a "bullet" is only the projectile.
I once had a guy dress me down for selling him a defective gun. He described a failure that sounded like light primer strikes. He'd left the gun on the range, and I went in to examine it.

I didn't even get that far. Laying next to the gun was a magazine, crammed full of .45 bullets. Not cartridges, mind you. Bullets.

I explained as politely as possible what the "problem" was, and he called me an elitist jerk. You just can't win some times.
Old June 1, 2013, 09:17 PM   #149
Evan Thomas

I think we may have a winner...
Old June 1, 2013, 09:44 PM   #150
BigTex308

Quote:
I once had a guy dress me down for selling him a defective gun. He described a failure that sounded like light primer strikes. He'd left the gun on the range, and I went in to examine it.

I didn't even get that far. Laying next to the gun was a magazine, crammed full of .45 bullets. Not cartridges, mind you. Bullets.

I explained as politely as possible what the "problem" was, and he called me an elitist jerk. You just can't win some times.

Wow!!!

Ike