The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old December 27, 2011, 06:52 PM   #26
Double Naught Spy

Somebody had to put a silver bullet through the heart of the internet wolves before they completed their full transformation into 500 lb. monster werewolves that would kill us all.
Old December 27, 2011, 07:37 PM   #27
5RWill

Winchester used to make ballistic silver tips with actual silver on them
Old December 27, 2011, 11:29 PM   #28
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Watched part of a TV show about Yellowstone, this evening. Showed a pack of some 16 wolves and some chase scenes. I'd guesstimate that on average they were in the 100- to 120-pound range. Statement of two elk kills per week for the pack, which to me seems a bit light...
Old December 27, 2011, 11:52 PM   #29
warbirdlover

This is some good info on the Wisconsin wolf population....

http://dnr.wi.gov/news/dnrnews_artic...up.asp?id=1993

Here's a real dandy one!...

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/er/mammal...withwolves.htm

Then there is this paper...

http://www.aws.vcn.com/wolf_attacks_on_humans.html

All good reading.
Old January 15, 2012, 07:36 PM   #30
Irish B

I did one of my veterinary internships at a wolf refuge center. Males realistically get around 110 lbs with the biggest I worked with being an old male Arctic/grey hybrid who was almost 160. He was a monster. Keep in mind a 150 lbs wolf is significantly larger than a 150 lbs dog as wolf's are much less dense. They have a lighter bone structure and are built for hunting and running up to 100 miles in a day. A big male wolf can cause a lot of damage though. We used to get road kill deer and elk that we would give to the wolves and the big males could pick up an elk carcass that I had trouble dragging in and carry it off like it was nothing. The largest wolf in north America was recorded at 175 lbs whereas the largest wolf in the world was recorded at 190 lbs. Keep in mind a 190 lbs wolf would be significantly larger than a 250 lbs mastiff

Last edited by Irish B; January 15, 2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old January 17, 2012, 02:06 PM   #31
12GaugeShuggoth

Holy crap I'm glad we don't have those beasts here. I've seen one wolf here but he wasn't any where near that large. For a size comparison though he was still quite a bit larger than our neighbors' 100lb. boxer....then again the boxer doesn't have that big fluffy coat of fur.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old January 18, 2012, 10:40 AM   #32
frigate88

Dang it guys, you keep shooting these big wolves and there isnt going to be another twilight saga!
Old January 19, 2012, 05:33 PM   #33
FairWarning

LOL the first few are fakes. If you've ever seen a 450 lb, 9 ft long lion "hug" its trainer, it looks about as big as the wolves in those pics.

North American wolves typically don't get much bigger than 170 lbs. Look at the proportions of the wolf heads to the men-----bogus.
Old January 19, 2012, 08:38 PM   #34
warbirdlover

That is NOT a bogus picture! It was a article in a hunting/gun magazine and gave the full story on it. The pics might have been taken to exagerate the size but I've got the magazine somewhere laying around here. See what snopes has to say. Basically that those ARE wolves but that they were not shot in Idaho.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/idwolves.asp

Old January 19, 2012, 08:58 PM   #35
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
That is NOT a bogus picture! It was a article in a hunting/gun magazine and gave the full story on it. The pics might have been taken to exagerate the size but I've got the magazine somewhere laying around here.
It has been nearly a month and you still haven't found that magazine? LOL.
Old January 19, 2012, 09:10 PM   #36
Alaska444

Doesn't matter if shot in Idaho or not. They are the Canadian Mackenzie Valley wolf subspecies that is substantially bigger than the native canis lupis irremotis that was the primary subspecies in America. The transplanted wolf from the north is larger and more aggressive than the native wolf and we have been sold a bogus argument and a bogus wolf by the Feds. Yes, those critters are huge compared to what the eco folks would like you to know.
Old January 19, 2012, 11:16 PM   #37
warbirdlover

Quote:
It has been nearly a month and you still haven't found that magazine? LOL.
I haven't been looking very hard...

In any case, the snoops link I put up says they aren't Idaho wolves but they ARE wolves.
Old January 20, 2012, 12:08 AM   #38
Catfishman

To me, they look way too large. I suspect photoshop.

But what do I know, I live in Dixie and have never killed a coyote over 35 lbs.
Old January 20, 2012, 12:32 AM   #39
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Uf!! Da. Big Dogs!!!

Being I hunt in Northern Minnesota I've seen some pretty large Timber Wolves over the past 10 yrs. Because of their being protected by law here. No one can shoot, trap or inhibit their life style of taking other wild game. Even if the slaughter / killing event is taking place within your line of sight. Your only option, is to do nothing.-- If a human/hunter is on the ground all alone back in the woods and a pack of 4-5 Timber Wolves or more comes along within 100 yards of where your standing. Probably chasing a deer that's wounded or a Buck tired and worn out because of the rut? " I guarantee if you find yourself in that scenario. The hair on the back of your neck will rise and your hearts beat will thump harder & faster than anytime other time in your life!"--Without thinking? you'll be counting how many rifle shells you have along or in your pocket?-- Because the stress this event places on you due in part because of the NOISE those BIG dogs make while driving their query into exhaustion.-- I've been in battle while Serving my Country and I have never felt threatened like the way I did when I encountered my first pack of Timber Wolves. Their coming thru the woods on a run driving there prey past me not more than 75 feet from where I was standing. Uf Da!! >Pushing a BIG 10 point deer just out ahead of them. The experience has never left me.-- They say: Time, for the most part will heal bad events in one's memory. <--->I'm not so sure about that?
Old January 20, 2012, 01:06 AM   #40
cheyenne'sfinest

they vary from region to region, but around yellowstone where i'm at that's an average sized wolf
Old January 20, 2012, 01:33 AM   #41
FairWarning

This thread is funny.

Look closely at the texture and lighting of the pictures, particularly where the wolves' fur meets up with the men.

What are they claiming those wolves weigh and how long are they supposed to be? Assuming those men are in the 200 lb range, those creatures would be at least close to 300 lbs, which brings up another point: to casually hold up 300lbs of dead weight, which is more difficult to stablize than a conscious being, and grin for the camera no less, would mean those guys have body builder levels of strength. Look at them. Do you think they are that strong?
Old January 20, 2012, 06:18 AM   #42
Tightwad

As stated the current NA record is 175 lb. To the best of my knowledge in North America their has only been one confirmed unprovoked fatal attack on a human by wolves in the last 100 years.

I wouldnt put 200+ lb wolves beyond the realm of possibility. How many of you have seen a whitetail that field dressed over 400 lb? (Possibly over 500 lb live weight) Yet such animals have been certified by fish and game departments.

Last edited by Tightwad; January 20, 2012 at 06:26 AM.
Old January 20, 2012, 08:38 AM   #43
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
In any case, the snoops link I put up says they aren't Idaho wolves but they ARE wolves.
LOL, nobody was questioning if the pictures were of wolves or not. However, to be properly accurate, only half of them are wolves.
Old January 20, 2012, 08:52 AM   #44
TX Hunter

I Coonhunt with Hounds, and am often asked what do I do with the Coons ?
So now I get to ask the question, if you hunt Wolfe, or Cyote what do you do with the carcass after you shoot it ?
Old January 20, 2012, 12:40 PM   #45
warbirdlover

Well, I've had wolves run past my blind, a big black alpha male. I think some of you guys would be pretty impressed by the size of it. However, most of the wolves on our land are around this size....

The pic of this young one was taken by one of the bowhunters on the land a few years ago (about the size of a large German Shepherd) ....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg wolfnormal2.jpg (73.5 KB, 154 views)
Old January 20, 2012, 04:28 PM   #46
Irish B

Here are some pics from when I did one of my vet internships at the wolf center. These are all full blooded grey wolves.

Me with a female. She's about 75 lbs:

This pic is with my wife. The young male here is about 95 lbs:

Me with a male. He's about 115 lbs. This is the average size for an adult male grey wolf:

Me with the black male and female again:
Old January 20, 2012, 04:51 PM   #47
rickyrick

Those are beautiful animals.
Old January 20, 2012, 05:09 PM   #48
warbirdlover

What/Where is the "wolf center"? Very interesting!
Old January 20, 2012, 08:58 PM   #49
FairWarning

Quote:
Those are beautiful animals.
They sure are! I want to go to a place like that one day.

Last edited by FairWarning; January 20, 2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old January 21, 2012, 03:01 AM   #50
Irish B

It's here in CO. It's a place where wolves that were pets or were ambassadors or things like that can come to 'retire' and to help educate the public. It was a lot of fun.