The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 7, 2010, 01:41 AM   #1
10mmAuto

7.62 suppressors

I've been looking at Gemtech, AAC and YHM suppressors for my FNAR - does anyone have experience with these companies' suppressors? Yankee Hill Machine is a little cheaper but I've also heard that they're not very effective - never seen one in person. Any input is appreciated, thanks.
Old December 7, 2010, 06:04 AM   #2
1911rocks

Thundertrap

I don't know if you're looking for a Titanium or not, but I have an AWC Thundertrap that I use on my .308s ( DPMS LR308 & Surgeon Scalpel). At work we use the Gemtech Quicksand. It's does seem a bit more balanced when firing from a standing position and after carrying all day long it will probably impact your overall energy level. However, for the guy who leaves it in their safe the weight won't make a major difference. I did have accuracy issues initially, however, that boiled down to the Bi-Lock connector not being concentric. I have (7) other QDs and this was a first.
Old December 11, 2010, 02:35 PM   #3
hksnpr223

how does that thundertrap sound? i am thinking about getting one for a custom rifle build i am doing.
Old December 17, 2010, 10:20 PM   #4
Stan_TheGunNut

I have an AAC 762-SD that I use on a Remington 700 and on my 300 Whisper. It works very well. The new models have the ratchet mount that I prefer. Mine is the old style where you just twist it on and off. I have no first hand experience with the others you mentioned. A friend has one of the SWR 30 caliber silencers. I need to meet up with him and compare the two side by side.

The AAC can does seem well made, and it does tame the report of the rifle pretty well.
Old December 17, 2010, 10:27 PM   #5
Wildalaska

I'll use the thunder beast can. Zak smith who is 1 of the owners of the company is a member here. It's titanium, well made and very quiet.

If my post looks weird it's because I am using speech to text.

WildthisishardAlaska TM copyright 2002-2010
Old December 19, 2010, 12:07 AM   #6
oldcspsarge

The Yankee Hill Suppressor is very well made, works flawlessly and is covered by a lifetime warranty. I have sold many of them, they are VERY effective and well made.

You cant buy a better suppressor for the money.
Old January 3, 2011, 12:26 AM   #7
wackendogs

I have the SWR Omega 30 use it on my 308's and my 300 Win mags. Its great!!!
Old January 4, 2011, 02:47 AM   #8
Zak Smith

Thanks, WildAlaska.

There are a lot of good .30 cal cans on the market these days. You can pretty much pick your price point and find something decent, though there are always tradeoffs.

One of the advantages of a lighter can is that the unsuppressed to suppressed POI shift will be less for the lighter suppressor.

And although carrying an extra 10 oz or 1 lb isn't a big deal, if you are going to carry around a heavy LR rifle all day, and other gear, it does add up. When shooting and in position, having a 25 oz can on the end of a 24 or 26" barrel really puts the weight out there compared to a 15 oz one.

There are also some design differences that influence the accuracy of the rifle when the suppressor is mounted.

Another thing to consider is what cartridges a particular suppressor is rated for. We all want to get the most use from a suppressor since it's an investment in time, money, and hassle. If one suppressor can get the job done for more rifles, calibers, and cartridges, it's effectively cheaper.

-z