The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 7, 2013, 01:44 AM   #1
jhong789

Handgun Purchase denied PLZ HELP ME !

hi all, new member here and fairly new gun owner. I live in the California. I purchased my first firearm (AR15) about 50 days ago. I had no problems with the background check or anything. Next I decided to purchase a handgun which i got a good deal on from an out of state friend. My friend sent it to my local FFL.
I went to the FFL and filled out the normal paperwork, and 4 days later I got a call saying I am denied. This shocked me, I was further frustrated because it seemed like I cant contact anyone for an answer to this problem. I have never been convicted of a felony, Im not mentally ill, nor do i have a anything to do with domestic violence.
Reading other ppls experience online, I realized it might be something on my driving record, I then went to the DMV to get a record. My record there is completely clean. The only thing is a speeding ticket that was paid 10 years ago.
As a minor I got busted driving my parents car without a license, but that was almost 20 years ago. And it is just puzzling how they can approve me for an rifle but denied for a pistol. I have had 3 background checks in the past 3 months besides this one. 2 for work, and 1 for the ar15. In California you can only purchase 1 handgun every 30 days, but that doesn't apply to long guns, so it has nothing to do with buying multiple firearms.
Plz if anyone here has had this experience or can help me figure out what it might be and what i can do about it, or even how I can reach a real person at the DOJ or NICS.

Last edited by Frank Ettin; November 7, 2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old November 7, 2013, 07:01 AM   #2
mehavey

I assume you have read/followed the procedures outlined HERE.

The "usual" reason is identity confusion w/ another by same name (but hopefully not the same SSN.)
On the last note, run an immediate credit background check on yourself to see if there's any fishy activity.
Old November 7, 2013, 08:40 AM   #3
Skans

It's not your 20 year old driving record. It's either identity confusion, or some recent incident you may have been involved in. If its identity confusion, then it should clear up in a few days and you will be cleared to take possession of the firearm.

Did you put your SS# on the 4473 (not mandatory)? If you get cleared, you may think about applying for a UPIN that you would be able to use on the 4473 so that future transfers don't get held up.
Old November 7, 2013, 09:08 AM   #4
full case load

Since your FFL is in CA he should know if the handgun is on the CA DOJs approved list but it could be one that "fell through the cracks"? Maybe that is why you were denied,and something to check on?
Old November 7, 2013, 10:52 AM   #5
dogtown tom

Quote:
jhong789 .....Plz if anyone here has had this experience or can help me figure out what it might be and what i can do about it, or even how I can reach a real person at the DOJ or NICS.
You are in California so you do not contact the FBI or NICS directly, instead the California DOJ Bureau of Firearms will send you a letter.

Read this: http://oag.ca.gov/firearms

Quote:
DENIED – If your DROS application is denied, you will receive a letter from the DOJ Bureau of Firearms within two weeks. The letter will explain the reason and instructions on how to get a copy of the record that resulted in the denial of your application. There will also be instructions on how to dispute and correct information in your record you believe is wrong. DOJ staff cannot discuss your record over the telephone. Therefore, it is recommended that you get a copy of your record and follow the instructions for disputing inaccuracies. You may also wish to retain an attorney for legal advice and who can best represent your interests on how to restore your rights to buy firearms.

If your DROS application was denied based on a Federal Brady prohibition (e.g., out-of-state conviction, illegal/unlawful alien, military dishonorable discharge, out-of-state mental health record, etc.), you can appeal the denial of your application directly to the Federal Bureau of Investigation National Instant Criminal History Background Check System (NICS). When discussing your situation with NICS, you must include the NICS Transaction Number (NTN) associated with your firearm purchase as referenced in the denial letter sent to you by the DOJ Bureau of Firearms. You can appeal directly to NICS by downloading the NICS appeal brochure and following the instructions found at http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nic...s_brochure_eng

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE