The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 16, 2008, 02:35 PM   #1
Norm AL391

Beretta AL391 problem

I've owned a Beretta AL391 Urika for about 3 years now. Last year, pheasant hunting, I started noticing that my shells weren't automatically loading after I fired my first or second shot. The shells stopped advancing into the action area? I haven't done anything other than break it down and clean it after every use per the manual, but the problem still persists. A friend of mine said to check the recoil spring and stretch it??? Does this sound like a good idea? I thought it was gas recoil, so what does the spring do exactly and why would stretching it help the shells advance after each shot? I don't use the gun but once or twice a year, so I won't claim to know everything about it. I appreciate any input you can offer.
Old October 16, 2008, 09:44 PM   #2
RoscoeC

I don't know how long you have had the gun, but I bought a used A390. It worked fine, but when I cycled the bolt I noticed a skreaking, squeeking sound. I broke down the gun, and inspected the recoil spring (part number 13 on this diagram: http://colegun.com/Model_390_Parts.pdf ) and noticed a couple of things. The spring and tube were coated in red rust, and the sides of the spring where it contacted the tube had flat spots worn on it.

I ordered a new spring, thoroughly cleaned out the tube with a dowel rod chucked in a drill and wrapped in 0000 steel wool, and installed the new spring. I now make sure to squirt a few drops of Remoil down the tube at each cleaning.

I'm not implying that yours is rusted, but it is likely dry, and the follower may be dragging if it is dirty.

BTW, part number 14, the recoil spring cap can be tricky to remove. It may be locktited in place. If it is it will need to be heated to soften the locktite. I have had more luck clamping the flats in a vise rather that trying to use a wrench. If you are not comfortable working at this level, a trip to the gunsmith may be in order.
NRA Life Member
Old October 17, 2008, 07:41 AM   #3
Norm AL391

That makes a lot of sense. My al391 is designed quite a bit differently, but I can see how a rusted spring could be a problem. My spring and tube are clean and show no signs of rust or pitting, etc. I always keep it lubricated as well. Anything else you can think of that could be causing the problem? What do you think of stretching the spring to get more force in the cylinder to get that next shell to load? I've heard this from a couple of guys that use similar guns on the police force - so I'm tempted to try it?
Old October 17, 2008, 08:34 AM   #4
nosualc

Your gun is gas operated. If you haven't shot it a LOT I would doubt that the springs are tired.

I don't know what your manual advises as far as a cleaning regime, but I'd I guess I'd detail strip and clean it throughly, paying special attention to the gas port holes in the barrel (they should be unobstructed/clean), the gas shroud and baffle, and make sure the magazine tube/follower are clean.

You don't mention what kind of loads your using. I'd try some different ammo to see if it made a difference.

Also, sometimes too much lube, or the wrong kind of lube can cause problems. Things like the magazine tube don't need lube (clean and dry), and the rest only needs the lightest lube (especially if you're shooting in cold weather, tho not yet in KC yet I'd imagine).

good luck.

-nosualc