The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 12, 2006, 01:06 AM   #1
FrancisWyvern

New Shooter question

Hi everyone, just joined after recieving an 1860 Colt Navy for my birthday.
I have a question, I have seen that Olive oil is rather nice for after cleaning the revolver for a protectant and I started wondering if other similar oils will work, for instance Canola Oil, I'm going to be shooting tommorrow morning so I hope I get some sort of answer, currently cleaning off the factory grease from my gun before all that. And if possible I would like to know some other solutions for cleaning and oiling the gun, I know the commercial products but have been wondering about more at home solutions, like the olive oil. Thank you for your help in advance and good shooting to everyone.
Old November 12, 2006, 12:14 PM   #2
mec

I don't know if those make good rust preventatives or not but they are claiming that Kanola oil actually reduces cholesterol.

After cleaning with the hot soapy water, I use ordinary petroleum based gun oil- more often breakfree clp than not. Here's the cleaning drill I use. Some people remove all the internal parts but I have kept them free of rust this way:
 Remove Grips-on Colts remove both back strap and fore strap-trigger guard and on the LeMats, the side plate. On the Remington, removal of grips and trigger guard will provide access to the lock work.
 Spray/ saturate all parts with the oil soap/peroxide/alcohol mixture being sure that it flows between hammer and frame and around all other recesses.
 Loosen fouling with toothbrush and pipe cleaners.
 Rinse with hot flowing tap water. Pump soapy water through barrel, chambers and nipple holes
 Immerse in near boiling plain water until very hot.
 Begin wiping with oil immediately upon removal, flowing generous quantities of oil into all parts of the action and running oiled patches through the barrel even before drying is complete.
We have maintained revolvers and pistols free of rust or finish damage with this method.