The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 12, 2006, 10:39 PM   #1
tBlake08

Over & Under .410/.22

I'm needing help finding the age/approximate value/any info on an o/u that was given to me several years ago. It's an o/u 410/22 stevens/savage arms. I can't locate a serial# any where on this gun. The butt is original wood and the stock is synthetic (I'm not sure if this is original or not). Thanks in advance.

-Clint Eastwood
Old April 12, 2006, 11:11 PM   #2
Jim Watson

If it doesn't have a serial number, it was made before the end of 1968 when GCA 68 started requiring serial numbers.

Actually, the synthetic part of the stock is probably the original, the wood a replacement. They made a number of Stevens with Tenite plastic stocks in the first several years after WW II and they were not very strong or durable.
Old April 13, 2006, 07:54 PM   #3
tBlake08

Thank you Mr. Watson (he he, Mr Watson, I feel like I'm talking to myself). I'm not going to preach that no serial # thing as the gospel, but I can't locate it. I'm going to go strip it down and look then I'll post some pics. Keep it comin. I'll have pics up within the hour.

-Clint Eastwood
Old April 13, 2006, 08:35 PM   #4
tBlake08

This is just the right side....

The red dot at the right has a 17 stamped on it. I'm not sure if that is a serial or what. The big circle is just where the barrel catches, you couldn't see it in the picture.

I'm using a low quality web cam so thats the best I could do. There is a J stamped under the barrel between where the stock catches and the barrel hooks. It says it's a modle 22-410.

-Clint Eastwood
Old April 19, 2006, 02:27 AM   #5
Don (MI)

This was my first gun. My dad bought it for me sometime in the early 50's and I stil have it. Both the stock and the fore piece are "plastic" and it has the Model Number of 22-410. Like yours, it has no serial number. At some point it was identified and sold as a "Savage Model 24" and was available in different calibers/gauges. There are several variations offered for sale on the Gunsamaerica site
Old April 19, 2006, 12:21 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Saying those "Tenite plastic stocks ... were not very strong or durable" is a whopping understatement. They broke almost at a touch and there are pieces scattered all over the country. That was a problem for Remington when they tried to market the Model 66 with the Nylon plastic stock. A whole different proposition, but people saw "plastic" and ran away in droves.

Plus, that gun with the side selector button was not very durable either; the selectors broke so routinely that when I was an active gunsmith I used to see the damned things in my sleep. We kept 30-40 on hand all the time. The newer model with the selector in the hammer was much better. One caution, don't dry fire that gun; dry-firing will break the selector if nothing else did first.

Jim
Old April 19, 2006, 07:16 PM   #7
tBlake08

Except for the wooden butt and worn blueing the gun seems to be in pretty good condition. It shoots good also. I suppose it's not worth much more than holding on to?

-Clint Eastwood
Old April 20, 2006, 05:04 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

If you want a light hunting/plinking fun gun, hold on to it. One thing about a gun like that is that you can spend a half day shooting for the cost of a couple of boxes of .22. You can't say that about an M1A or even a Ruger 10/22.

Jim
Old April 20, 2006, 11:24 PM   #9
tBlake08

Nah, I never use it any more...Just collects dust these days.

-Clint Eastwood
Old April 24, 2006, 02:20 PM   #10
SaltySteve

I have one of those also. Mine has selector on the hammer. It never did eject worth a darn. I love it though.
Old April 24, 2006, 11:01 PM   #11
tBlake08

Well, if you ever want another shoot me a pm...lol...I'm sure we could work something out.

-Clint Eastwood
Old January 30, 2009, 12:51 PM   #12
wyncrtr

Stevens Savage .22 - 410 over under

I have a Stevens 22. 410 over under. I was target practicing with both the .22 and .410 when it started misfiring. I noticed a piece of metal that had broken loose that sets between the hammer and firing pins.

What is this piece called and can it be repaired or replaced.
Old January 31, 2009, 12:48 PM   #13
PetahW

[I noticed a piece of metal that had broken loose that sets between the hammer and firing pins.]
[What is this piece called and can it be repaired or replaced.]

That is the transfer bar section of the selector, and Savage no longer will sell the replacement parts.
In lieu of the replacement parts, however, Savage will sell the upgraded selector - which is the later style hammer with the pivoting nose.

tblake - Your Model 22-410 has no serial number because it was made pre 1968 - actually pre-WWII (production started in 1939), like my Stevens Model 22-410 Tenite version, below.

My OTHER 22/420 is a later (1951) Savage Model 24-B .22/.410.

Old March 23, 2010, 02:22 AM   #14
climbhighak

Missing Selector?

I inherited my Dad's guns and this was among the oldest. It is a Stevens Arms 22-410. I live in AK so this gun doesn't get a lot of thought. However this week I have some time off of and want to get out and shoot some rabbits and maybe some Ptarmigan or Spruce Grouse. This seems like the perfect gun for the job.

I pulled it out of storage and can't figure out how to select the .22 cal upper barrel. After a bit of reading in this thread and others I think I am missing a selctor switch. Is that the case?

Old March 23, 2010, 12:40 PM   #15
PetahW

[I think I am missing a selctor switch. Is that the case?]

Yep. - The selector is a long vertical transfer bar that lies between the firing pins/hammer, with a long skinny leg extending downward to that hole in the RH receiver wall, where the metal takes a 90-degree turn into the hole and the inside of the selector slide/button (which is missing from your gun).

The selectors break at the 90-degree turn, so when yours broke, it most likely fell out somewhere, taking the selector button along with it.

tBlake08: - The "J" on the underside of your barrels sounds like the Savage date code for 1958.

The Savage Date Codes were usually circled letters stamped into the barrel bottoms between the hinge and forend iron, started in 1949 (A) and going consecutively until 1970 (X).

Last edited by PetahW; March 23, 2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old March 23, 2010, 12:56 PM   #16
Pahoo

These are great little guns and a group of us, wait for a rabbit snow every year, when we take these out on a special hunt. All that we use, are these 24's. Of all the ones I have owned, there has never been one that didn't have a problem of some kind. These are favored by some collectors that have more than one model. You can still find replacement parts but you have to work at it. One of our group, makes some of his own parts.

Be Safe !!!
Old March 23, 2010, 01:26 PM   #17
climbhighak

Missing Selector

Quote:
Yep. - The selector is a long vertical transfer bar that lies between the firing pins/hammer, with a long skinny leg extending downward to that hole in the RH receiver wall, where the metal takes a 90-degree turn into the hole and the inside of the selector slide/button (which is missing from your gun).

The selectors break at the 90-degree turn, so when yours broke, it most likely fell out somewhere, taking the selector button along with it.
Thanks for confirming that. I want to fix this one so I am starting to make calls to the local shops first. Might be back if that doesn't pan out. Does anyone have a photo of the piece I am looking for or of the gun as it is supposed to look like intact?
Old March 23, 2010, 04:42 PM   #18
UpandAtIt

There is one for sale on ebay right now.... under $10, the item number is Item number: 390172604053 .... shows a good picture of it.
Old March 23, 2010, 06:49 PM   #19
PetahW

The Ebay item # is a selector buttom only (you need one)

But you also need the selector:

Fortunately, the same seller has both, assembled (above).

The selector assembly number on Ebay is: 390163536810

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=390163536810

The seller has a "buy-it-now" price on the selector assembly, that you are well advised to click on.
Old February 17, 2012, 12:25 AM   #20
Pjoflan

Firing pin problem on Stevens 22 & 410

This is my first posting so hope don't screw up. I just inherited my dad's Air Force survival gun. Remember as a kid sneaking it out to shoot with friends. Also remember the 410 firing pin broke. I could still shoot it pointed up in the air but just not when held at level position. Anyone know if it sounds like I need a new firing pin or just a spring? The 22 pin seems to be held in place and has on-going pressure but the 410 pin doesn't seem to have the same pressure on the plate which returns it into place.

Pjoflan
Old February 17, 2012, 09:31 AM   #21
thallub

The type of plastic used to make the stocks and forearms on Savage and Stevens guns was called Tenite.
Old February 18, 2012, 08:34 PM   #22
PetahW

[I just inherited my dad's Air Force survival gun.]

Please proceed posting with caution - USAF Survival Gun (22/410) were NEVER sold as surplus AFAIK (aka: stolen), since their barrels are short enough (14", IIRC) that they violate Federal Law for possession by unlicensed civilians.

Remember: Even fish don't get in trouble, IF they keep their mouths SHUT.

(signed) A USAF vet.

Old February 19, 2012, 01:25 AM   #23
Bill DeShivs

The USAF survival guns weren't made by Stevens, I don't think....
Old February 19, 2012, 01:04 PM   #24
PetahW

The USAF M6 Aircrew Survival .22H / .410 was made by Ithaca.

Old February 21, 2012, 02:24 AM   #25
Ol' Nick

I have a Model 24 in .222/20 gauge. Some time back when looking for info about it I came across this site http://www.savage24.com/. Good links and a fair bit of info on it.