The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 14, 2014, 05:24 PM   #1
Machineguntony

M60

So I finally bought myself an M60. It is a Maramont New England Group M60.

My next goal is to have it upgraded to E4 or maybe even E6, although I hear that the E6 is not available, and only two are out in the civilian market. An E6 is up on Gunbroker right now for $70,000. Yes, you read that right, $70,000.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=399298555

So I was wondering if there are any M60 enthusiasts here on this forum. Anyone have experience upgrading an M60? I was told that the upgrades are simple push pin upgrades, that you do not need to be an armorer to upgrade the M60. But I read somewhere (I can't recall where) that some tooling may be needed, especially on the ammo feeder.
Old March 14, 2014, 05:53 PM   #2
Willie Lowman

Cool stuff, Tony.

You'd better start linking ammo now!
Old March 14, 2014, 10:33 PM   #3
Lemmon

My personal experience with a M-60

In Rural Fairfield County South Carolina in the Early 60’s the military had war games where we lived. It was amazing to see helicopters, army personnel carriers, BIG trucks, Jeeps and M-14 rifles, grenade launchers and M-60 machine guns. They all used blanks and ate “C-rations”. They set up one camp in the our cow pasture under the trees overlooking a large field. My brother and I age 9 and 10 traveled from camp to camp or cow pasture to cow pasture on our bicycles. We got in a helicopter and our big dog jumped in with us. A Sargent got a little upset and was very descriptive on what he was going to do with our dog if he did not get out immediately. Old Butch was very protective of his family. The fur on the dog’s back raised up and he let out an angry vicious growl. The Sargent back down and brother and I got the dog out of the helicopter. The troops treated us great and let us shoot the rifles and grenade launcher. I got to fire the M-60…Remember we were using blank rounds but they sounded real to us. It was a hoot and I will always remember those days. Life was good living in Rural South Carolina.

Lemmon from Rural South Carolina......
Old March 14, 2014, 11:24 PM   #4
Machineguntony

I have emailed the gentleman at Desert Ordnance about upgrading my M60 to the MK43/E4, but alas it has been 4 days and I have not heard from him.

There is currently an E4 upgrade kit on gunbroker, but I am unsure of how complete is the kit. $7,000 approximately, with only one barrel, it appears. I have no idea if that is a fair deal for the upgrade. Since it is advisable to have multiple barrels, and an M4 barrel is about $1500 each, this is essentially a $10,000 upgrade.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=400911474

I can not tell from looking at it if the kit is complete. I don't see the M4 forend grip. Also, I am unsure how complex is the install of the kit. I have heard conflicting info.

Willie, I have 100,000 links ready to be fed to the Pig. Papa is waiting on the delivery date. I have visions of myself linking .308s.
Old March 14, 2014, 11:34 PM   #5
Sharkbite

Hellz yeah... 100,000 rds waiting on the feds to give you permission to use something you already paid for. I love this system!!!!

I "got to" use a 60 in the Marine Corps during the late 80's. I wasnt an 0331 but we had 60's as a T&E weapon. I jumped at the chance to be a "gunner". It was a helluva lot of fun to shoot. Not so much to carry or clean

Did you get to load it 1 in 5 or just straight ball?? Either way you will have a kick with your toy. Congrats... Its a Pig
Old March 15, 2014, 12:03 AM   #6
Machineguntony

Thanks, Shark. Yeah, it's a frustrating system for sure.

Actually, I have 100,000 links, not rounds. And they were cheap lol. I hope they work, as some have a little bit of rust on them. I will know in 8-12 months.

I am making ball ammo on my Dillon Super 1050 using these bullets.

http://ammunitionstore.com/products/...s-1000-ct.html

I cranked out 1,000 rounds a couple days ago. I have no idea if they'll even work in the M60. If they don't work, then I will have lots of really fast shooting for my bolt action.
Old November 22, 2014, 03:30 PM   #7
Machineguntony

This is the thread that I posted on the day of purchase. Originally posted in March 14, 2014.

8 months and one week later, the gun is form 4 approved, picked up, and on the range (the form 3 took approximately two months).

Here are a couple of pics.

Again, thanks to everyone who answered my questions!

I must say that the E6 is the most fun gun I have ever shot. Due to the buffering system, low rate of fire, and weight of the gun, the E6 is even more controllable than an MP5 (that's just my subjective opinion).

Of all the guns I have ever shot, I can say that this is the only gun that, in real life, sounds exactly like how it sounds in Hollywood movies. It has this distinct 'kuhn kuhn kuhn kuhn kuhn kuhn kuhn' sound.

Please do not repost these pics on another site.
Old November 22, 2014, 09:11 PM   #8
Dragline45

That thing is freaking awesome. You aren't from MA are you? Reason I ask the Red Sox gear, and I live in MA and didn't think we were able to get NFA guns with all the heavy restrictions.
Old November 23, 2014, 08:31 AM   #9
Tucker 1371

Drool...

If I had the money an M60 would be the first thing I would buy. I got to shoot the M240 in the Corps but the M60 just looks so much cooler. And the E6 kit on it looks freakin sweet.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old November 23, 2014, 09:32 AM   #10
Machineguntony

Thanks. I'm having lots of fun. The only thing not fun is linking up the rounds. Is there a machine, tool, or a type of press that would link rounds? Using my fingers to push the rounds through the link gets old after the 500th round, not to mention the links are tight, so they kill my hand.

No, Drag, not from MA. Beautiful part of the country, though, and I do love it.

Does anyone know how to hang the ammo pouch to the ammo hanger? For the life of me, I couldn't figure it out. There's a Velcro strap on the pouch that looks like it goes over the top half of the ammo hanger, but if rigged that way, the ammo pouch sits too high and blocks the belt feed ramp. If you use the same Velcro strap to hang on the bottom half of the ammo hanger, then the ammo pouch falls of the ammo hanger.

By ammo pouch, I mean this thing: http://lbtinc.com/pouches/magazine-p...uch-100rd.html

Here's a pic. I couldn't figure out how to attach the two, and there are no instructions available online.

Old November 24, 2014, 08:36 AM   #11
Willie Lowman

Quote:
Is there a machine, tool, or a type of press that would link rounds?
There are some. I do not have any direct experience with them. I asked the beltfed shooters on HKpro about them and got mixed opinions.

This should get you started in your link press research. I chose this site because it had the best examples of link presses. I don't know anything about the business behind it.

http://beltfedplus.com/linkloaders/m7linkloaders.html
Old November 24, 2014, 08:47 AM   #12
Machineguntony

Thanks, Willie!
Old November 24, 2014, 10:55 AM   #13
kraigwy

I carried the M-60 in Vietnam a bit (actually more then I wanted). Its hard to find a better gun to keep people from shooting back at you, but it sucks humping one, the 23 lb gun and 450 rounds of ammo.

But I loved the gun. I also ran several Machine Gun schools using the '60.

I don't know about the E4 or E6 modifications though I have modified 60s for competition. They are accurate.

Not sure I'd want to feed one though. They eat more then teenage boys.

Congrats though on you fine accurate gun.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 24, 2014, 07:02 PM   #14
dewcrew8

your right about the sound!! shoot one when I was 12 and it was FUN ! my dad ran the base range ! Got to run something like 150rds through one with the wing commaders son!! fun times back then!!! nothing like old school full auto!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (6.2 KB, 36 views)
Old November 24, 2014, 11:08 PM   #15
Crazy Carl

Humping the Pig ain't so bad. AG, now that's a drag....
Old November 25, 2014, 12:14 AM   #16
Machineguntony

Ordered a linking plate. This will be a finger saver.

Last edited by Machineguntony; November 25, 2014 at 07:51 AM.
Old November 25, 2014, 12:40 AM   #17
Dragline45

Watch out ISIS, Tony's in town.
Old November 25, 2014, 03:18 PM   #18
SPEMack618

I got to shoot the Pig when Dad was a TI at Lackland. The 1st Sgt for the SF School lived across the street and he Dad were friends from 'Nam.

A lot of fun to an 11 year old, but Pop always crumbled about how the M-60D was a horrible door gun.

I'll always give the M-60E3 cool points because that was what I saw Navy SEALs using on a Discovery Channel show when I was young.

Neat piece, mano. Hope you enjoy it.
Old November 25, 2014, 04:12 PM   #19
Catalyst

I don't remember where I first heard the nick-name, but don't some call that the "Angry Typewriter"? I hope you're able to enjoy it soon! I'm jealous.
Old November 26, 2014, 12:25 AM   #20
Machineguntony

Thanks, Gentlemen.

The sound of an angry type writer is the perfect way to describe it. That's actually a brilliant description. I was trying to put my finger on what it sounded like, and 'angry typewriter' is a perfect description.

Cost of shooting is not too bad. I use my own reloads and I buy components in massive bulk. I've estimated that a round of 308 costs approximately 33 cents. Since MOA accuracy isn't an issue, when I see blemished or second run 308 projectiles, I buy the entire supply, if possible. The pig lives up to its nickname when it eats up powder. At 38 grains per round, and at a cyclic rate of 550 rounds per minute, the pig will quickly consume an 8 pound jug.

Video with the sound. I haven't shot it without hearing protection (don't intend to), but with hearing protection, the sound in this video is very accurate.

Last edited by Machineguntony; November 26, 2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old November 27, 2014, 11:10 AM   #21
medic21

M60 Linker

[email protected]

Reasonably priced and works well.
Old November 27, 2014, 01:08 PM   #22
kraigwy

Your video gives me flashbacks.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 27, 2014, 01:21 PM   #23
Sharkbite

Quote:
when I see blemished or second run 308 projectiles, I buy the entire supply
Dang, Tony

Leave some bullets for us mere mortals to shoot thru our single shot smoke poles

Congrats on the new toy. Im sure you will LOVE it
Old November 27, 2014, 06:18 PM   #24
Ricklin

Kraig,

Eats more than a teenage boy............that gave me a grin.

Thus one of the reasons that FA will remain a dream for me.
Old November 28, 2014, 12:15 PM   #25
SPEMack618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony
Does anyone know how to hang the ammo pouch to the ammo hanger?
Tony, I'm not entirely sure, but I think the ammo hanger is designed to work with the GI feed bags. I've got a couple of FMs- on a flash drive that I'll mull through and see if I can find the schematic.

That'd probably explain why your after market bags don't won't to fit.

Neat vid. Rambo would be impressed.