The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 20, 2012, 05:18 PM   #1
Uncle Buck

Lead targets

I have about 20 pounds of lead, mostly pure. I was thinking of melting it in to a pan and making a rectangular target out of it.

I have tried steel plates, but the sound of the ricochet is unnerving to me and I don't care to shoot at them any longer.

I was thinking the soft lead would allow the bullets to pass through, but you would also be able to see it move. (I am planning on putting a thick piece of steel wire in the mold and melting the lead around it.)

Anyone ever tried this? Any reason not to do this? Thanks.
Old February 20, 2012, 05:33 PM   #2
Vt.birdhunter

I recon it will crater creating the potential for random ricochets.

Angle your steel down, predicable ricochets are safer.
Old February 20, 2012, 05:47 PM   #3
Pahoo

There is always a better way !!

Uncle Buck;
Once heard that a good idea is only as good as the time it takes for someone to talk you out of it. That said and with all respect, I'd put that precious lead to better use. If you don't like the ringing of steel, then find something else. Not too long ago, I saw some orange poly "self-healing" target shape that looked pretty interesting but not cheap. ...

JMHO and

Be Safe!!!
Old February 20, 2012, 08:10 PM   #4
Uncle Buck

Quote:
Once heard that a good idea is only as good as the time it takes for someone to talk you out of it.
I love that.

I'll try a different angle on the steel plates.

I thought at a distance of 50 yards, the little bit of lead that flew off would not have the same velocity as a full fledged round that clanged of the steel.

I have a good back stop, but I worry about things coming back towards me.

I do not cast my own bullets and I gave up making lead sinkers a long time ago. Just found the lead the other day when messing around in the shop and was wondering what to do with it.
Old February 21, 2012, 09:17 PM   #5
saands

Sell or trade the lead ... USPS flat rate boxes are a GREAT deal for shipping dense stuff like lead ... I'm sure that someone will have something you'd like for it in trade ... just a thought.

Saands
Old February 24, 2012, 05:44 PM   #6
Hansam

Turn the lead into bullets.

If you don't like the sound rounds striking steel you should invest in the new polymer targets that are "self healing." They'll be good for a few to several hundred rounds of fire (depending on ammo) before you have to get a new one.
Old February 24, 2012, 06:34 PM   #7
ScottRiqui

Just spitballing here, but would a few layers of Dynamat or similar sound-deadening matting on the back of a steel target help muffle the "ringing" to acceptable levels?
Old February 24, 2012, 07:17 PM   #8
UtopiaTexasG19

I shoot into a old refrigerator that is layed down on concrete blocks where the door is facing up and I shoot at the top which is now vertical. It is filled with dirt and I know that nothing I shoot can go through 5 feet of earth! I have a thin piece of used plywood nailed to the "top" where I then tack my paper targets. The plywood allows the bullets to pass into the inside of the refrigerator and dirt but does not allow the dirt to spill back out. I replace the plywood as necessary.