The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 24, 2008, 04:23 PM   #1
cptmclark

AK47

This question has probably been worn out long ago, but I can't find and answer. Can the AR 47 be accurized, and if so what steps can be used to improve accuracy? There is a lot of emotion about comparisons, but I'm just looking for technical information. I have tried two with new barrels and both are about six moa rifles with three different loads. If consistent 3 moa is attainable, I'd be grateful to learn how. Thanks
Old September 24, 2008, 04:57 PM   #2
SDC

These rifles are really made with an emphasis on reliability rather than accuracy, but the one thing that would probably REALLY help is to extend the sight radius; since that would mean either optics on a rail (which most don't have) or putting the rear sight on the top cover (which moves and changes zero everytime you fire), I don't think there's any real cheap and fast way of doing it.
Old September 24, 2008, 05:45 PM   #3
kraigwy

Short Answer ------NO
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 24, 2008, 06:10 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

Options to improve actual or potential accuracy:
Actual accuracy is a change that improves the mechanical accuracy, ie ammunition that is capable of smaller groups.
Potential accuracy means a change that allows the shooter to shoot better groups, ie better sights that allow the shooter to shoot better.

Better sights.
Better trigger pull.
Better ammo.
"Possibly" using a milled rather than a stamped receiver. (While no guarantee, milled receivers do have a better track record for accuracy).
Better barrel.
A more accurate cartridge. The AK round is tapered to improve feed and extraction at the cost of some potential accuracy.

While there are some accuracy rifle techniques that might improve things, such as squaring up the bolt face, these will have limited effect due to the AK design.
Bottom line is, the AK was intended to be an "assault rifle" and reliability was considered paramount. It was never intended to be an accuracy rifle, and in fact Kalashnikov deliberately reduced accuracy-improving fit to improve function.
Old September 24, 2008, 06:22 PM   #5
B. Lahey

I don't know what they did to achieve it, but my Vector shoots groups like you want. Nothing fantastic, but 3moa is pretty average. Maybe it's the barrel, maybe it's the fitting of parts (very tight for an AK), but they get it done.

High-quality brass-cased ammo helps a lot also. I like the Sellier & Belloit in the tan 20-round boxes. More expensive than Wolf, but a bargain considering the better quality.
Old September 24, 2008, 07:28 PM   #6
hockeysew

We get this question almost everyday in the shop.
Same answer always.
Precision rifles are built to Minute Of Angle= M.O.A.
Battle rifles are generally built to Minute Of Man=M.O.M.
With a few exceptions such as the AR platform and the M1A based rifles.
Wrong tool for the wrong job.
I usually tell customers that if they can hit a plate sized target at 200 yards then they are doing good.
Like Dfariswheel mentioned there are a few things that you can do to help a bit but dont expect miracles or MOA accuracy. Even the SVD (Dragunov) rifles have a tough time getting to 1 M.O.A @ 100 yds.
And they are not even a Kalishnakov design.
Old September 25, 2008, 11:07 AM   #7
hockeysew

Interesting points LongRifles.
I was aware of the reciever flex and this is how a milled will help. Good ideas on the gas system.

Nothing like re-inventing the wheel eh?
Old September 25, 2008, 11:50 AM   #8
kraigwy

Quote:
First, buy a premium grade barrel.
2nd, reinforce the flimsy stamped receiver or obtain one that is milled.
3rd, reinforce the barrel block where it attaches to the receiver.
4rh, tune the gas system
5th, trigger work, get a real two stage for it.
6th, ammunition; start the loading press up and know that you'll be loading these with 308 bullets and not the OEM bore dimensions. You want this because bullet selection is so much better. Understand also that the cartridge is not known as a tack driver to begin with.
Hey, good ideal, while we are at it we can put dicent sights on it and rename it. MAYBE CALL IT AN M14.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071