The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 15, 2013, 03:54 PM   #26
RJay

Seems to be a love / hate affair with Berry's Bullets, As for my self I will never use them again. I had so much trouble with their 38 Spl.HBWC bullets, out of a box of 250 I gave a hundred away. They were over sized and kept cumpling the cases. They are the only bullets I've ever had this problem with. So with me, it is not a love affair but the other
Old January 15, 2013, 07:06 PM   #27
flyguy958

Well I'm not in love but I load and shoot more of there bullets than any other. I've had no problems in any of the 4 calibers I load for. (.38/.357, .380, 9mm, .40, .44 Mag) I'll happily order more when I need more.
Old January 15, 2013, 08:47 PM   #28
UncleLoodis

same here...

@flyguy958, that's what surprised me. I have loaded many thousands of their bullets. And what surprised me more was their negative attitude about the whole situation, and their unwillingness to give me all my money back. If they said I was out of luck for the postage for the samples and the bulk part I sent back--that's one thing. But to charge a guy a 10% restock fee...that's absurd. They will never get business from me again, and I will be sure to tell anyone who inquires exactly what I think of their customer service. And I bet that will be worth a heck of a lot more than the 10% restock fee they got from me.

U.L.
Old January 15, 2013, 10:35 PM   #29
Hammerhead

Sorry you had a bad experience with Berry's. I'm a loyal customer and wear my Berry's T shirt with pride.

Last time we had a shortage ('08-'09) I used thousands of Berry's and Rainier 9mm plated bullets with no trouble. (all I had at the time, this time I'm a little more prepared)

I'll be loading up some 9mm/.355" plated bullets this weekend for my .357.
I skip the expander die and use the Lee universal flaring tool to gently open the case mouths. It's a conical expander that only flares and does not expand the neck area. That way I get good bullet tension with .355" bullets.
A light taper crimp is all that is needed.

A solid charge of a quick burning powder helps get the bullets to expand in the throats and bore, and they shoot accurately out to 50 yards in my Freedom Arms. Hopefully they shoot equally as well in my new GP100.
Old January 15, 2013, 11:38 PM   #30
Hammerhead

FWIW, Berry's no longer has a warning of long wait times.
Since I have more primers than bullets I'm ordering more.
Love their plated 148 grain DEWC loaded long with 5 grains of Universal.
Old January 16, 2013, 05:11 AM   #31
wet

I have used berry's with average sucess. I switched to Power Bond and have been compleatly happy.
Old January 16, 2013, 04:31 PM   #32
amamnn

Concerning plated bullets.......

One statement:

I've been using a lot of Berry bullets in a variety of calibers and have never had any problems with them. I have used Rainiers, they being my neighbors, and had no problems, but the Berrys seem to give me tighter groups. I only use double struck bullets in my match guns, and I may not really be a good enough shot to need them or take advantage of them.

One question, well, two:

When was the last time you had your micrometer calibrated? Did you have anyone else measure the bullets before calling Berry?

One observation:

Any manufacturing process is liable to error. Mistakes happen and none of us are perfect----BUT----in every case in which I thought there was something wrong with a gun/primer/bullet/case or what have you---AND--- the manufacturer said it was ok, it later turned out that unless I had other people--mainly gunsmiths-- look at the same problem---I was wrong and the makers were right. I have never dealt with any firearm or firearm related product manufacturer who did not bend over backward to be sure their product was spot on before taking issue with a customer. One exception that proved the rule was a "match" barrel maker who was/is failing and felt they could not afford to correct all their mistakes. In their case, they did not have the same desire to keep a clean slate as the vast majority of our suppliers do.

Just some points to ponder .....
Old January 16, 2013, 05:32 PM   #33
Hammerhead

Just an FYI - all of Rainier's bullets are double struck.
Old January 19, 2013, 12:15 PM   #34
UncleLoodis

@ amamnn, yes, we measured with two different mics and two different people. I would have questioned the mics except my hornady XTP and ZERO slugs measured, and fit, just fine...nice and snug.

It was the lack of customer service that really ticked me off. I mean, anyone can make mistakes, heaven knows I make them all the time. But you have to make it right with your customer when you do make a mistake--if you ever want his business again. After going through quite a bit of effort, time, postage--they would not refund my postage, AND charged me a 10% restocking fee. To me, that is unacceptable.

Thanks again to you all for posting, offering suggestions and advice.

U.L.
Old January 19, 2013, 12:25 PM   #35
Sevens

I'm saddened by this entire thread as I'm a big, big fan of Berry's products and also of their service. I've been buying from them for years and I've had nothing but excellent service and products -- every single time.

There's a handful of manufacturers and outfits in our industry and some of them that I really like. And for me, Berry's is right at the top of that list.

In a more perfect world, I'd contact a guy at Berry's that I've specifically dealt with in the past and have him look in to their side of this, but it sounds like the damage is already done and your mind is made up -- and I also have no reason to believe that you are being dishonest.

Not happy about it. Wish they had a chance to respond or explain their side of it.

I'll continue to be a big supporter of those guys for all the reasons I became one over the years, but as always, I'll be keeping a look out for feedback from others.