The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 16, 2011, 01:24 AM   #1
hootey

H & R Handi-rifle 30/30

Anyone own or have shot one of these? How does it shoot? How's the trigger? Accurate? Worked on a H&R Ultra 25-06 for a friend about 10 years ago, I was amazed at how it shot after I fixed it for him. It was new, had one of the smoothest factory triggers I ever had a hold of. It was the most accurate weapon I have ever fired. Just wondering about the 30/30, How does it perform?
Old August 16, 2011, 01:29 AM   #2
Scorch

Typically shoot really well. Triggers range from awful to OK.
Old August 16, 2011, 09:52 AM   #3
aarondhgraham

I own two H&R rifles,,,

And both are capable of more accuracy than I can utilize,,,
I know this because other shooters score better than I do with them.

They are not tack drivers,,,
But are both minute of armadillo at 100 yards.

I can't imagine the 30-30 being much different.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old August 16, 2011, 10:21 AM   #4
Picher

I have one in .243 and it shoots about 1 1/4" at 100 yards, though it's prone to vertical stringing when the front end is rested in different locations. It's more consistent when the front rest is close to, or under the receiver.

Sighting-in these guns seems to work best with the left hand between the forend and front bag to simulate field shooting positions. After sighting in that way, I killed a yearling coyote offhand at 140 yards with it.

The weakness in the design is in the ejector system. I'd prefer an extractor-only design that worked on a cam instead of a spring-actuated ejector. A few empties have remained stuck in the chamber. It's a pain when it happens in the field because the best way to clear one is to run a rod down the bore.
Old August 16, 2011, 10:32 AM   #5
PawPaw

I;ve got several Handi Rifles and I like them for what they are. Simple, rugged inexpensive firearms. I did a write-up about my collection at my ezine.

Handi rifles have some foibles, one of them is that they seem to prefer (from a bench), the front bag to be as close to the trigger guard as possible.

My .30-30 is a good shooter. It hovers around an inch with good handloads, depending on who is behind the trigger. My particular example has a Marlin microgroove barrel and likes jacketed bullets better than it likes cast bullets. I mounted a fixed 4X scope and use it to train new shooters when they're ready to step up to centerfire cartridges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picher
The weakness in the design is in the ejector system. I'd prefer an extractor-only design
I agree, but note that Picher has a rimless chambering. My .30-30 came with an extractor system and I believe that the rimless rifles come with ejectors and the rimmed cartridge rifles have extractors. I agree with Picher, because my .223 Handi has an ejector and has given me a few problems. Those problems were easily solved with a good cleaning and lubrication.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old August 16, 2011, 10:39 AM   #6
Rifleman1776

I had one in .243, the barrel had to cool considerably between shots or it was all over the county.
Old August 16, 2011, 12:01 PM   #7
hornetguy

Quote:
The weakness in the design is in the ejector system. I'd prefer an extractor-only design that worked on a cam instead of a spring-actuated ejector.
Of course you can modify it to keep it from flinging the brass across the yard, just have it extract, but you still have the basic design. A stuck case will still be stuck...
Old August 16, 2011, 12:08 PM   #8
aarondhgraham

Quote:
Of course you can modify it to keep it from flinging the brass across the yard,
But that's one of the things I love about my H&R rifles,,,
The ability to send a hot shell casing back over my shoulder,,,
Right into the face of some lookie-loo who is standing too close behind me.

It's one of those things I just don't understand,,,
Why someone feels it is okay to crowd behind me like a spotter.

I'm equally accurate with the .22 Sportster or my .357 handi-Rifle,,,
I did feel sorta bad when I put a hot .357 magnum case down a lady's blouse,,,
But again she shouldn't have been standing that close to me while I was actively shooting.

Just a thought,,,

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old August 16, 2011, 05:02 PM   #9
Bamashooter

My .243 Handi-Rifle with Burris FFII scope shoots just under 1'' 3 shot groups with remington cor-lokt 100gr. ammo. For the money its a fantastic rifle.
Old February 13, 2013, 10:57 PM   #10
ole shooter

I have a 30-30

I have an H&R Handi Rifle in 30-30 . I was shooting it a bit today . I haven't tried one of those fancy ready made rounds in it .
I am now using 165 grain crudely gas checked cast lead. I don't have a sizer yet so checks are pressed on using a Lee factory crimp die from the top. They seem to be doing well pushed with 20 gr. Reloader #7 and a WLR primer. Speed should be right at 1650
The trigger on mine hasn't been weighed yet but would make a New York politician happy This one likes jacketed bullets but price will keep it eating lead. I have read elsewhere that the Micro groove rifling has been discontinued . Since mine is new and has Ballard rifling ,that may be true.
All in all this is a fun little rifle ,and will be even better when I get the trigger lightened up a bit. ole shooter
Old February 14, 2013, 08:52 AM   #11
wingman

I've owned two and would never buy another far too many low cost bolt actions out there with more quality and accuracy then the handi-rifle.

Trigger is horrible and as paw-paw said require resting against trigger guard for bench shooting, (it's painful to watch a new owner trying to sight one in at the range) while they can be "tinkered" with to shoot decent overall for Joe average shooter/deer hunter wasted effort. One of the few firearms I've owned in my life that I totally disliked.
Old February 14, 2013, 12:58 PM   #12
hdbiker

Handi Rifle

I bought one a few years ago in 25-06.The short time I owned it, it shot ok,but every 4 to 5 shots the empty ctg.rim would get jamed on the top of the exractor.You'd have to pull it out with a plyers.Returned it to where I bought it and they gave me another one and that one did the same thing.I got my money back for the gun,RCBS dies and shell holder. hdbiker
Old February 14, 2013, 02:25 PM   #13
chewie146

Those H&Rs do perform much better with rimmed cartridges. You won't have to worry about that in .30-30. My .45-70 was 1.5" at 100 yards with snot rocker rounds.