The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 18, 2010, 11:34 AM   #1
waterboy68

First boar/hog hunt

Finally got a chance to shoot some hogs. Went down to south GA with some friends (just outside Miledgville). We went on a night hunt with a guide who provides hog services for some area farmers. He uses night vision scopes on top of BAR's (.308) and AR-10's. What a blast. We weren't out of the truck for 10 min and stumbled across 5 of them working over a newly planted peanut field. Needless to say, 3 of them didn't make it out. They looked to be around 200lbs or so.

Then on to another farm were we shot 4 more.

All in all it was a good night. Ended with 10 dead little piggies and hopefully some happy farmers. I must say, I never knew a pig could run so damn fast! I knew that pigs damaged crops, but had no idea they were so destructive. The first field we went to was just planted last week and I bet 1/4 of his crop was already dug up. I have some more pics, but just thought I'd post a few to see if anyone was interested in them.
Old May 18, 2010, 12:04 PM   #2
Bigjfb

So tasty

WHat does he do with all the meat?
Old May 18, 2010, 12:38 PM   #3
FrontSight

Awesome! Can you post the name of the outfitter? (The nazis here at work block pics, so sorry if the guide's name is shown in there; I just can't see them till I get home).
Old May 18, 2010, 01:03 PM   #4
briandg

Quote:
I knew that pigs damaged crops, but had no idea they were so destructive. The first field we went to was just planted last week and I bet 1/4 of his crop was already dug up.
and those are some pretty normal ones. Can you imagine what it's like when you have herds of hogs that are twice that size? They can get to be enormous.
Old May 18, 2010, 04:12 PM   #5
waterboy68

The company name is Night Vision Hog Control LLC. He has a web site also. Unfortunetly with it being as hot as it was we were unable to keep the meat. My understanding is that if you don't get those things gutted and on ice right away then your just asking for trouble. With night temps in the 80's and 3 other farms on the list we had to keep moving.

He does try to get them to a processor when he's close to one that participates with hunters for the hungry. I don't know much about these wild pigs so I'll take his word for it. I hate waste as much as anybody, but after seeing what they do to the farmers I don't feel so bad about it. I don't think there will be a shortage of pigs anytime soon!
Old May 18, 2010, 04:53 PM   #6
briandg

there is a controversial measure in texas that is intended to allow hunting hogs from helicopter. Don't know if it passed.

It got a very unfavorable reception.
Old May 18, 2010, 11:08 PM   #7
themusgrat

Looks like a good hunt. I've tried hunting hogs at night, but with the cows on the ranch it was too hard to know what was what for sure. Night vision would be sooooo awesome.
Old May 19, 2010, 04:32 AM   #8
butta9999

Nice pigs mate, dont eat them here just leave them where they lie
Old May 19, 2010, 06:28 AM   #9
waterboy68

This was the biggest one of the night.

Some of the younger folks in our group went out with dogs and came back the next morning with this guy.
Old May 19, 2010, 02:42 PM   #10
bswiv

Here in NE FL we eat them.......... While a lot of folks detest cleaning them almost everyone finds the meat better than venison.
Old May 21, 2010, 05:11 PM   #11
cwb

us florida boys eat'em.
Old May 22, 2010, 02:21 AM   #12
bamaranger

re: destructive

I am familiar w/ hay and crop fields that are available for lease, that farmers will not take, because: -the investment in seed to resow for hay is to high
-the field is so darn rough from rooting
-the swamps nearby hold so many darn hogs that a
solution does not seem eminent

Unfortunately, I cannot be part of the solution due to distance and state lines.
Old May 22, 2010, 03:37 PM   #13
leetosaurus

It would be horrifying if a rabies epidemic swept through a hog population.
Old May 22, 2010, 03:49 PM   #14
publius

i wish some sort of catastrophic disease would ravage the wild pig population. They should be destroyed with extreme prejudice wherever and whenever they are found.
Old May 22, 2010, 06:10 PM   #15
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Publius, that isn't quite a noble wish... I bet one day back in history, a fella wished a bad disease would check up the human population growth and thus we suffered the Black Plague.... (ring around the rosies, pocket full of posies...)...

If such a disease affects the hog, it will trickle down to many species, some of which are not on the short list of bad critters... Not to mention if they are considered less than edible, human hunters will not eat them nor feed them to a pack of dogs which currently results in thousands of pounds of consumption...

Brent
Old May 22, 2010, 11:04 PM   #16
Fat White Boy

Shot with night vision optics? Good Shooting...
Old May 23, 2010, 12:41 AM   #17
trooper3385

They have been shooting them out of helicopters for quite a few years here in Texas. There not considered game animals, so it's legal. There should be several video clips on YouTube if you do a search.
Old May 23, 2010, 08:57 AM   #18
TX Hunter

Nice Hogs, we have a big problem with them here, and they are fair game year around with no bag limit, and no restricted means.
My Son and I kill a few every year, out of blinds over feeders, but we have also trapped them, bayed them up with hounds, shot them at night.
Its easy to get permission to hunt them as they do so much damage to hay meadows, gardens, and landscapes.
Some of them are good to eat.
Old May 23, 2010, 10:57 AM   #19
snipecatcher

Quote:
there is a controversial measure in texas that is intended to allow hunting hogs from helicopter. Don't know if it passed.

It got a very unfavorable reception.
People have been doing this for quite some time. I have some friends who farm rice and have to deal with pigs. The pigs can cost them tens of thousands a year. With a helicopter, they can kill 50-100 pigs in a few days, which goes a long ways in keeping their crops safe.