The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 24, 2011, 09:32 AM   #1
TwoMutts

M&P9 (not pro) VS XDM 9

The moons and planets have aligned properly and it looks like I can finally get a pistol Originally I was going for a .45 1911, but my wife has decided she would also like to learn to shoot and use it so I am now looking at a 9mm M&P (not pro) and a 9mm XDM. I will be using this mostly for target and I would like to get into some competition shooting like IDPA, etc. Eventually I want to move into bullseye pistol (which I know is another set of guns).

I know the M&P pro has a match grade barrel, but they seem to be hard to find and when I see them they are usually $150+ more then the standard M&P & XDM.

So I am looking for some advice as to whether the match grade barrel in the XDM has any advantage over the standard M&P? A local range has a good deal on the M&P 9MM range and carry kit that is why I am considering it.

Also, for some background. I am a decent shot and right now I help coach my son's precision rifle team (which is where all my firearms budget has been going to lately , so I am not a newbie to the shooting sports. I have also been working (mostly watching and learning) with the team's pistol coach.

Thanks for any advice and comments!

Jeff
Old June 24, 2011, 09:58 AM   #2
Uncle Malice

I would opt for the standard M&P ($439 shipped from Jet Guns) and the Apex Tactical DCAEK kit.

You'll thank me later...
Old June 24, 2011, 10:11 AM   #3
TunnelRat

Flip a coin, seriously.

Both are reliable, both are well liked. I am willing to bet that when all the comments are said and done, the responses you will get will be split down the middle.

I went with the M&P. Personally I liked the feel of it better. I am extremely happy with it, to the point where I would consider getting another one. Shoots very well, changeable back straps are a plus when shooting with others (like your wife), fit and finish seem nice, and good company if service is needed. Same comments could be applied to the XDM. I will say I think the grip safety on the XDM is redundant and not really to my liking.

My advice: handle them. Find a store that has them to get a feel, literally, for them. Most important thing you can do. Bring your wife too. If possible shoot them. The money spent on a rental is worth it if you're happy with it.
Maintain situational awareness
Old June 24, 2011, 10:21 AM   #4
irish52084

Both are excellent handguns. I'm an XD guy myself, but the M&P's are very nice as well. Difference for me was in feel and grip angle. I also prefer the XDM trigger over the stock M&P. If capacity matters to you, the XDM has a 19 round capacity vs the M&P's 17.

As for looks, the bi-tone stainless and black framed XDM's are better looking than the M&P. At least in my opinion.

If you can, shoo them both and see what you and your wife like best.
Old June 24, 2011, 10:30 AM   #5
myrdraal0

I was a huge XD/XDM fan for years and I have way too many of them. Last year I tried an M&P and absolutely loved it. It was good enough that my wife also switched to an M&P from her Glock.

Here are the reasons I both like the M&P over the XD/XDM:

- The grip safety on the XD was never an issue for me since I shoot so much; but, it does cause problems for new shooters. I loaned an XDM to family members twice for IDPA matches and they both ended up with the slide frozen in a position where we really had to force it to get it unstuck...

- The match grade barrel is nice on the XDM, but I can shoot the same group sizes with either an XDM or a standard M&P. In either case, I can consistently put 10 rounds into a 2" circle at 15 yards (when I'm trying for accuracy).

- The barrel on XD/XDM sits noticeably higher than the M&P. That makes the XD/XDM feel top-heavy and also makes the M&P quite a bit faster for follow-up shots. The XD/XDM can be just as fast with practice, but the M&P seems to do it more naturally (for me at least).

- The M&Ps are quite a bit cheaper than the XDM.

The main problem with the M&P is the trigger - it's honestly one of the worst triggers I've ever felt. Fortunately, it's easy to swap it out for the Apex DCAEK trigger and that helps a lot. I've found that I like the standard/duty Apex trigger better than the competition version since there seems to be less take-up; but, the competition version is lighter and has a shorter reset...

Anyway, I probably blabbed on way too long. You won't go wrong with either one - but I, personally, prefer the M&P.
Old June 24, 2011, 10:37 AM   #6
EdInk

The trigger is the most used "feature" on a gun.

The XDM has a much nicer trigger than the M&P.

IMHO they are both great guns BUT the XDM is a bit more refined.
Old June 24, 2011, 10:57 AM   #7
TunnelRat

@ EdInk
While I get your point, you could say the same thing about the handle, or the barrel as the gun won't function with either.
Maintain situational awareness
Old June 24, 2011, 03:29 PM   #8
ranburr

More issues out of the box with the M&P. Magazines falling out, defective mags (there are multiple generations of mags), broken strikers (currently on 3rd or 4th version), extractor issues due to using a one size fits all calibers approach, poor accuracy out of 9mm variants, and finally, crap triggers with a terrible reset. Fortunately, all of these issues can be addressed if you buy the latest version and then have Apex Tactical fix the rest. But, do you really want to do that much to a new gun? I own both and think the XDm is a much better gun.
Old June 24, 2011, 03:52 PM   #9
Get R Done Guns

M&P is a great gun. I think it looks better than the xd. Both should function perfectly.
Please visit us at www.getgunsonline.com for some of the best delivered pricing on the net. 31,000 items and $4.99 ships your entire order!! No credit card fees! Gun+ammo=$4.99 Ammo+accessories=$4.99 WE MEAN EVERYTHING ON YOUR ORDER!!
Old June 24, 2011, 03:58 PM   #10
LockedBreech

Why aren't these threads ever easy, like Beretta vs. Taurus, or Sig vs. Jennings, or Bersa vs. Wilson Combat?

My vote is for the M&P, but you really can't go wrong if you try here.
Old June 24, 2011, 04:07 PM   #11
OsOk-308

I really like my xdm. It shoots wonderfully, very accurate, and more rounds per mag. However, I picked up a M&P up at the gun store to see how the grips felt, I was amazed at just how comfortable the grips are. Both are fantastic guns, both companies back their products extensively. I personally like my XDm.

I just talked up both handguns, so I'm sorry that I didn't help pick between the two.
Old June 24, 2011, 04:12 PM   #12
myrdraal0

Quote:
Why aren't these threads ever easy, like Beretta vs. Taurus, or Sig vs. Jennings, or Bersa vs. Wilson Combat?
Seriously! It's obvious that the Taurus and Jennings are the superior weapons...
Old June 24, 2011, 04:35 PM   #13
Coltman 77

I have NO experience with the XD pistols but I have had excellent results with my M&P 9.

It's accurate, reliable and the ergonomics are extremely nice. It points naturally, balances well and with the different grip inserts can be made to fit almost any hand.

My trigger really smoothed out after about 500 rds. and I'm not particularly trigger sensitive so I felt no need to do the apex thing.

The M&P is made in the US and has great CS with S&W.

The M&P has been adopted by many LEO agencies. The XD has not.

Here's a picture of my M&P when she first came home. Night sights and three magazines.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old June 24, 2011, 05:37 PM   #14
Don Glock

ive owned both xd's and m&p's. get the m&p.
Old June 25, 2011, 11:12 AM   #15
TBT

I could never get past the looks of the XD or the extremely high bore axis and huge mass of slide. Just an awkward gun in my hand. The M&P on the other hand sits nice and low in your hand and as a result is a very fast gun to fire at speed. The XD is one of the slowest IMHO.

I would say the XD has the better stock trigger but can't touch the APEX additions. I think an M&P with the Apex DCAEK would be about the same price as an XDM and a much better performer in the end.

The M&P is 100% American made while the XD is Croatian.

There is no practical difference in accuracy between the two.

Neither gun is currently experiencing any issues at a rate that should concern us. Both should run well out of the box so ignore any chatter that tells you otherwise.
Old June 25, 2011, 11:24 AM   #16
Uncle Malice

This. ^

Tags
accuracy , m&p , xdm