The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 27, 2012, 07:29 PM   #1
TGSTGS

S&W 617 rear sight channel photo

Can anyone provide a photo of the rear sight channel top view in a 617 along with the rear sight components.

I am going to remove a weaver mount and reddot scope and would like to see what to expect when the mount comes off. Also I want to replace the blade with an aftermarket white out line blade. Looking at the rear sight (in an envelope assembled) I'm wonder what tool is available to hold the "nut while unscrewing the adjusting screw. It appears to have a spanner type nut, very small.

I bought the gun with the scope mounted and want to pull it off and reinstall the adjustable rear with a new blade.

I had planned to do a trade for the gun and just bought it outright and would rather have it without the scope initially. My old eyes may decide differently
Thanks
Tom
Old November 28, 2012, 06:49 PM   #2
Zhillsauditor

Here's an advertisement video that shows what you are looking for:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATwZg8jA648
Old November 28, 2012, 09:43 PM   #3
TGSTGS

Thanks I had seen the video what I'm puzzled about is there was no spring when the sight was removed and should there be.

Im hoping to see what the sight slot looked like before drilling and the spring location.
Thanks again.
Old November 29, 2012, 06:16 PM   #4
Zhillsauditor

The only spring in a standard S&W sight is the tiny one in the windage adjustment. You would have to work to get that out, and it isn't in the frame but the sight assembly.
Old November 29, 2012, 08:56 PM   #5
TGSTGS

I removed the scope and put the sights back on. Ill shoot it tomorrw. The jury is still out on the Red Dot. Wish it had some magnification.
Old November 30, 2012, 11:00 AM   #6
TGSTGS

I took the red dot off and all is as I hoped it would be. There is no spring other than the bow in the sight frame. It all went together with no hitches. Thanks for the assistance though.

I've been investigating replacing the sight blade with an aftermarket white outline blade. that sounds a little "testy" removing and reinstalling the detent and spring, easily lost, and requires snapping the adjusting screw so a new screw must be purchased with the blade.

I'll get there sooner or later.
Old November 30, 2012, 12:33 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

The S&W sight is its own spring for sight elevation; the screw pulls it down instead of pushing it up. The little "nut" fits into a slot in the frame that holds it in place and keeps it from turning. You will see that when you remove the mount.

Jim