The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 15, 2013, 08:44 AM   #1
Vermonter

XDS 9mm Bitone

Well lookie what I just took to the range. Made some calls and grabbed this bad boy for $570. I am thrilled. This is my first Springfield. I have tried first an LC 9 and a Beretta Nano. Both had reliability issues from the get go. Both are gone. For me this gun is heads and tails above them both.

This is my first range trip with a single stack 9 that had zero failures.

100 rounds S&B
100 Rounds Speer lawman
50 Rounds PMC.

All are 115 Gr which was useless in my Nano. Accuracy was awesome with no sight adjustment needed. I love the fiber optic front sight. Gun handles well and the grip safety beats a manual safety like on a Sheild for instance. I know I know just don't use it. To those who say that I will point out my Rocky relationship with MR. Murphy.

After 250 really quick rounds she was hot and dirty but had I not lost daylight I don't think I would have found a malf at all. Lastly it struck me that the feed ramp in this pistol came factory polished. Surprising for sure. Shop I was in had 4 black XDS 9s left for 530. I got the last Bitone at 570. PM me for info if ya like.

One happy customer for sure.

With Kind Regards, Vermonter

Last edited by Vermonter; June 15, 2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old June 15, 2013, 08:48 AM   #2
Microgunner

I've heard nothing but good about this pistol.
Congratulations.
Old June 15, 2013, 09:01 AM   #3
CDW4ME

Nice looking pistol.
Old June 15, 2013, 08:26 PM   #4
2tango2

XDS 9mm Bitone

Congrats

I have a black Xds 9 and it is a nice little gun. I may have have paid the extra for the Bi Tone if hey had one
Old June 16, 2013, 03:23 PM   #5
Vermonter

Bitone

I find it easier to clean the stainless slide.
Old June 16, 2013, 05:45 PM   #6
roadrash

Well I have a bi tone xds .45 ,I would rather have the all black version,but alas the bi tone is what my dealer had.
Old June 16, 2013, 07:41 PM   #7
Vermonter

Why the all black preference?

Why all black over Bitone? Just curious no fanboy argument here.
Old June 16, 2013, 07:51 PM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

Congratulations!
Old June 17, 2013, 05:09 AM   #9
mitranoc

Congrats man... very nice! I recently picked up the XDS .45 and couldn't be happier with it. My .45 is all black, just because I'm not a fan of silver guns.

George Washington
Old June 17, 2013, 09:33 AM   #10
Vermonter

Thanks for the contrats fellas

If I can find some more 9mm I will get another few hundred through it before the week is out. I like to keep a back stock that I don't shoot through but it is really tempting in this instance.

With Kind Regards, Vermonter
Old June 17, 2013, 11:40 PM   #11
Yung.gunr

Since you have had both the Nano and LC9, how would you compare the size and pocket ability of the XD-s to the other two? How do you normally carry it?

I had the LC9 and hated it. Sold it with less than 25 rounds through it. It didn't fit well in my carry choices and shooting it was awful.
Old June 18, 2013, 05:42 PM   #12
Vermonter

Update

Thought I would check in to say that I put another 150 rounds through it today and I am now at 400 total with not a malfunction to mention. I have run Tula, S&B, Speer Lawman, and PMC all without incident. These are all 115GR which is all I have been able to find in the target variety and not an incident at all. My Nano would never have handled 400 rounds without incident.

Accuracy is great and after 400 rounds in the same silhouette I will say there is one big hole in the a zone of the cardboard and another in the head.
All in all I am thrilled and every time I see a box of 9mm its getting run through this pistol.

I carry this IWB and would not consider either the Nano, LC9, or the xds a pocket gun but they all fit in my wrangler pockets fine. I have a J frame and an LCP for that.
Old June 18, 2013, 10:29 PM   #13
kcub

What finish is on the all black?
Old June 19, 2013, 08:39 AM   #14
Vermonter

Finish

Quote:
Melonite® Finish and Carrying Case
To preserve the safety and quality of your pistol, we’ve added a Melonite® finish on all XD® models for a deep penetrating finish that protects against corrosion. Also, our rugged case is as durable as the XD-S™ trademark it carries.
Regarding finish the above is a direct quote from the Springfield website.
Old June 19, 2013, 07:06 PM   #15
Bart Noir

Not too long ago I did a web search on Melonite and Tenifer. And found that the names are owned by the same company and that, IIRC, they are basically the same finish.

So when you use the sturdy finish of the Glock as the yardstick for gun finishes, you can get the same thing with the Melonite finish.

The all-black XDm and XDs models just have a dark finish on top of the Melonite. And when it gets worn and a bit shiny, no problem since the Melonite is intact and still protecting the steel.

Here is the Wikipedia write-up on this finish:
Melonite and Tenifer

Bart Noir
Old June 19, 2013, 09:06 PM   #16
Vermonter

Same finish eh

The similarities don't seem to end. The reliability is Glock like as well