The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 14, 2014, 09:42 PM   #1
2tango2

Can this mark on feed ramp be polished out?

Received this barrel in this condition from company. Used once and it feeds and fires fine looks like a little shadow dead center

Should I be able to polish with a dremel and Flitz? Never done it before so thought I'd ask

What do I use on dremel? Polishing wheel?

Suppose I could leave it as well as it seems not to affect anything

Old January 14, 2014, 10:24 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Many perfectly good feed ramps have been ruined by people trying to improve them. If it isn't broke, don't fix it!

Jim
Old January 15, 2014, 08:35 AM   #3
HiBC

I second James K's comment.

Looks like a double stack ramp,and the shadow in the middle you refer to is probably a high spot that is supposed to be there.

Generally,despite what you may have heard or seen on youtube,and,even despite some loyal Dremelistas who will no doubt flame me,use your Dremel to make model cars fishing lures or something..try to keep it away from your guns.

Generally,you do not want to change the size or shape of gun parts,and you do not want to round or wash out edges,corners,etc..

All I did to the ramp on a Philipine 1911 frame I was building recently is called "draw stoning" in the moldmaking biz.A mold opens in the direction of "draw".Often the cutter marks are perpendicular to the direction of draw.Parts stick.Same with a feed ramp.I use a soft,fine mold polishing stone,round.I hold it down flat on the contour I want to improve.By hand,I stroke it in the direction the bullet would travel up the ramp.
I do NOT worry about stoning the low spots out of the tool finish,I leave those.I just float off the high spots.Those are the teeth that bite and cause a little friction.Low spots do not bite,the bullet never touches them.

I probably take off less than one half of one thousandth of an inch.A stone crossing the cutter lines will not touch the low spots.Its hard,its a stone.
Your soft media and Flitz or whatever cuts down in the low spots at the same time it cuts the high spots.In time it will wash the detail out,but,you;d rather not.
That ramp has already been worked at the factory.It is smooth enough.

Last edited by HiBC; January 15, 2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old January 15, 2014, 08:54 AM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I don't see any reason to do anything to the ramp but you're not going to hurt anything with Flitz polish although I wouldn't use a Dremel. If you want to do it, use a bore mop chucked in a cordless drill.

Scroll down for varmint Al's test of Flitz. http://www.varmintal.com/arelo.htm
Old January 15, 2014, 11:12 AM   #5
dmanisgnarly

I wouldn't touch it unless you know for sure it's causing a problem. Maybe a little bit of polishing compound and a very light buffing if it's got some tarnish/gunk on it, the easiest way is by wrapping your desired cloth over a brass cleaning bore brush and give it a few twirls. Never use a rotary tool unless you are experienced smith or have a proper jig, doing things by the eye can lead up to bad measures as machining tolerances need to be exact when working on bores and feeding areas. I always recommend my buddies take their problems to a professional for a second opinion before trying a "bubba" at home diy job.