The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 24, 2005, 12:43 PM   #1
briang2ad

Brownells Teflon/Moly Gun Finish - anyone use this before?

Folks: Has anyone used this finsh and have a report on looks and durability? I am thinking of a handgun - semi-auto.
Old March 24, 2005, 12:57 PM   #2
garrettwc

Check this month's S.W.A.T. magazine.

I think Denny Hansen did a review of some the Brownell's coatings. IIRC this was one of them.
Old March 24, 2005, 03:27 PM   #3
Zak Smith

I've used both Brownells Aluma-Hyde II and Norrells Moly Resin. The Norrells is a better choice for long term durability, but it's harder to apply.
Old March 24, 2005, 06:02 PM   #4
Hello123

I used the Brownells Moly bake on paint. I think I ordered a colored that was supposed to be brown. It came out to have a nice olive drab color. Regarding durability, it generally has stuck on. It a few places it scraped off. It was perfect for a gun I use for a boat paddle. I don't think it would be great with a parts that have metal to metal wear or for guns you want to look great.
Old April 7, 2005, 02:34 AM   #5
MrApathy

its tough stuff though whatever you do when you go to bake it. use a oven you dont care for in a well ventilated area. good idea to clean oven after use

if you use it inside have fans and windows going. teflon cough not cool.

its durable though the spray cans are difficult to use. model spray kit and a can of the finish is better way to apply.

should work fine on metal to metal parts. parking your metal before applying the spray n bake finish is good idea. nice primer. think you need to get the spray on finish on in thin coat for metal to metal parts otherwise it will come off but if you parkerized the part you will have atleast 1 finish.

at the very least applying this finish to exterior of a slide/frame will protect from holster wear and elements.

Last edited by MrApathy; April 7, 2005 at 02:57 PM.
Old April 7, 2005, 11:13 AM   #6
Zak Smith

Quote:
its tough stuff though whatever you do when you go to bake it. use a over you dont care for in a well ventilated area.

if you use it inside have fans and windows going. teflon cough not cool.
The spraying has to be in well ventilated area. The curing does not.

From the Norrells FAQ, http://www.johnnorrellarms.com/molyresin_faqs.asp
Quote:
I'm (actually my wife) is concerned with using our home kitchen oven for curing my gun parts.

Curing parts coated with Moly Resin will not damage your home-cooking oven. There is no contact between the coated parts and the walls of the oven since you will spray the coating on the parts either outside, in the garage or in a ventilated paint booth. The objection you may encounter will be an odor if you do not allow the coating to thoroughly dry before placing the parts in the oven. The heat from the oven will obviously vaporize any liquid solvent in the coating if not completely dry.
Old April 7, 2005, 01:58 PM   #7
RickB

I've used it on one gun. It wears off the edges in fairly short order, and areas that rub in the holster take on a shiny appearance from the friction, but it sticks pretty well. I used the spray can, but if I was going to do it agian, I'd invest a few bucks in an airbrush, and a home parkerizing kit, and do it more "professionally".
Old April 7, 2005, 03:08 PM   #8
MrApathy

I can quote offsite material too

http://thehighroad.org/showpost.php?...75&postcount=9
Quote:
Mac's: I have been using Gunkote for about twenty five years and use it exclusively as the final coat in our Tuff-Gun 1 finish. We're so confident of Gunkote that we offer a lifetime warranty against rust on our finish.

Metal preparation is the key to making it work right. The rattle cans are junk, use an airbrush. An internal mix brush will give a more consistant spray. The stuff is not healthy to breath so use a respirator and plenty of ventilation. I do a lot of it at once so my spray bench has a huge power ventilator hood over it. The curing vapors are very harmful and some of the colors contain lead. If you insist on using the kitchen oven to cure it, use lots of ventilation and scrub the oven out afterwards. The vapors will settle on the oven surfaces and then transfer to other surfaces like food when it's heated again.

Time and temperature for curing are critical. Too long or too hot will make it change colors. To short or to cold will not allow it to cure fully. Also, open the oven every 10 or 15 minutes to vent the curing vapors. This helps to keep them from settling on the parts.
Our curing oven uses electronics to keep the temp within 2% of what I set it at and the duration precise. It's also a recirculating oven so the air is always moving a lot and getting a little exchanged.
Keep yer powder dry, Mac
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All.
Mac's Shootin' Irons
thats Mac of Mac's Shootin Iron
www.shootiniron.com