The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 10, 2013, 05:41 PM   #1
Traveling Fur Hunter

.223 bullet casting question?

If I cast my own .223 bullets out of lead, will they break up outside the barrel, for those of you who have tried it?
Old April 10, 2013, 06:05 PM   #2
chris in va

Not a good idea shooting cast out of an AR if it's your intention. Plugs up the gas system.

If out of a bolt rifle, you'll want to gas check it and keep velocities under 2200fps.
Old April 10, 2013, 06:12 PM   #3
jepp2

Quote:
Not a good idea shooting cast out of an AR if it's your intention. Plugs up the gas system.
Why would it be any worse than using a .22 conversion in your AR? I do that without problems. I do shoot some 223 ammo when finished to clear the gas system.

I just checked my Lyman Cast Bullet manual (3'rd edition) and lots of loads are listed for 223. Test weapon was a mini 14. PM me if you would like the load data and don't have access.
Old April 11, 2013, 01:41 AM   #4
GTOne

Quote:
Plugs up the gas system.
Internet myth.

Read up at gunloads.com. A few casters have tried, the issue is as you get close to enough pressure to cycle the action on an AR the velocity is pushing to the limit and accuracy goes away.
That being said, a few are doing it and plinking along okay.
Old April 11, 2013, 07:41 AM   #5
ricklaut

No personal experience, but here's a very interesting thread about it: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/39...llet_Test.html

"I was able to put 500 rounds of cast bullets through an AR-15 without cleaning it and did not have any problems or malfunctions at all. The test showed (to me at least), that AR-15's can be made to work consistently with cast bullets. In regard to accuracy, I didn't see any significant change in accuracy, but I wasn't really testing for it."
Old April 11, 2013, 11:42 AM   #6
grubbylabs

I just cast a few and plan on loading them up sometime monday to test a few out. I am waiting on a sizing die.

If you go over to the castboolits.gunloads site there are quite a few threads about shooting cast out of AR-15's. It seems like if you think things through and use a bit of common sense it works out.

I have heard of powders from every thing from 4227 and Unique to normally used powders for the AR.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old April 21, 2013, 09:10 AM   #7
grubbylabs

So far the minimum charge of H-335 is shooting well enough that I can hit medium sized odd targets off hand with a peep, and I have not had any leading issues yet.

However I have a scope coming and I plan on doing some load testing to see what it is really capable of.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)